Failing to Convince Wife of Move after Oz Wedding

Drumbos79

The Brits do think the weather in the UK is far worse than reality. I was there in August and all everybody did was complain about the weather, but i thought i was great weather. Nice, sunny, not too hot but ok in a t-shirt. Had one day of rain in 10.

It has been very wet for a couple of years. I am assured by my Australian friends, that it isn't always like this

Good luck.

Yes the east coast was hard hit by the non appearance of a couple of La Ninas in the area and Victoria and the south of NSW was in drought for around 7 years. I can remember that it started to rain seriously on 14 Feb 2010 (I was on my way out of the country on holiday!) and it has been raining steadily ever since but those previous 7 years were distinctly unpleasant - dams got really low and everything looked dry and dustbowl-ish. We were bombarded with water restrictions and water saving messages. One poor bloke got killed because a neighbour took exception to him watering his grass but, from memory, he was legally able to do so on the day he got attacked. Droughts raise the suicide rate amongst country folk significantly too. On balance I'd rather have rain than drought!

There is no comparison to eating out in a major UK city in the evening, even in the Inner "burbs but yes, I was referring to outer Suburbs where, let's face it, most people moving to Brisbane will end up due to cost of Housing in the Inner suburbs. It is even worse up the Sunshine Coast but it's worth it as it is so much better than living in Brisbane,(IN MY OPINION IT SHOULD BE NOTED!) even though I enjoyed Brisbane immensely.

For similar sized population will have to agree to disagree on that one. 130 eateries in South Brisbane/West End area alone before starting on the rest. Many live far out to get a large house. You can often live closer in in a smaller house that is still large by uk standards for the same price. Tis a choice for many and some make the wrong choice buying house over location. Obviously you don't have to live right within the 5km boundary to eat there. Many prefer the sunshine coast and elsewhere...it's ok to not agree, is a discussion forum after all...I much rather Brisbane because it suits my tastes far better but we are all different.

Archived