Best or Worst

Candygirl

Guest The Pom Queen

Best - Weather, lifestyle, size of property, kids happier.

Worst - My mother visiting for 3 months because it's too far to come for a week :confused:

Guest AKA63029
Best - Weather, lifestyle, size of property, kids happier.

Worst - My mother visiting for 3 months because it's too far to come for a week :confused:

Once Mr Branson gets his super dooper high speed plane running your mum will no longer have that excuse Kate.:biggrin:

Best: less commute=more family time, weather, outdoors/beach/cycling/running is easier, industry outlook, city life and opportunities, some of our new friends, wife being near her little sister, son happy

Worst: housing cost, having to rent, annoying tax hike I could do without, had to take a step back in career in exchange for better future outlook, missing some friends (not really family though, guilt!), suspect remoteness/smallness (of economic area) will get on my wick eventually, NSW bush is a bit monotonous

Some of the things that we are looking for. I think I must sound like a right Moaning Minnie today.

To some we must have a wonderful life in Spain. We have a good business, a nice house and lovely friends and family, who visit us as much as they can, but we want the same lifestyle but in a more stable economic environment, be able to communicate with everyone (easily) and have better prospects for the future. We feel that Australia can offer these things.

Best:

lovely house (with space we could only dream of in England)

job I really enjoy (pays well and feel appreciated, whats that about?)

better work life balance (wasn't too bad before tbh)

commute work varies from 10 to 20 minutes

nice suburb near the river tracks for running and cycling(though should do much more)

beautiful beaches within 30 mins drive

kids and mrs harpo happy

have made a great friend through PIO: we keep each other sane

EVERYTHING IS SO BLOODY EASY!

Worst:

Distance from blighty (cost and duration of travel to UK a big turnoff)

i have no urge to travel around Australia or SE Asia...I'd rather spend my time pottering around France.

My kids missing out on grandparents and cousins (that's a BIG one)

I have had this unexplained lethargy for the last 3.5 years..is it contentment, or has my brain shut down?

EVERYTHING IS TOO BLOODY EASY!?

Best: (crikey, here goes) some new friends made, being able to sleep in (unemployed) which is doing wonders for my wrinkles :cute:, diving in warmer waters although viz can be crap, husband seems happy, seeing new things for now (likely to wear off), knowing I am nearer to places such as NZ that we can hopefully visit one day if we don't go home first.

Worst: too far away from Europe and the European feeling I miss so much, unemployed, cash flow not allowing for travel or treats, renting and rubbish housing on offer, rental inspections, craving stimulating conversation ( hopefully change with a job), traffic in Sydney, I could go on but that will do for now.

Sounds like a job would solve most of that tbh

What's your line of work?

I used to be in a very good job.... Business development and marketing of real estate development projects in China, for a Uk firm.... Despite having 15+ years experience and a good degree I am not flavour of the month in Sydney :frown:

Jamie Oliver is getting most of my attention at the moment, working my way through his recipes A to Z :cute:

Best..

waking up each day and looking outside at the beauty

feeling the sun on my face

standing at the gold coast, my hair blowing, sun beating down, sea on my toes and clean sand on my feet, feeling thankful too be alive.

Living in a lovely area in a house we could only of dreamed of in the UK

Our children growing up far more slowly and not affected by their home culture of alcohol

The fresh fruit and veg and food in general

being back with my best friend

The people, made lots of good friends in a short time

Worst

Missing my family and flight's being soo expensive :(

Missing 3 family funerals

Guest Kristie M

My partner moved here four years ago from Scotland. The best part was (of course) meeting me, and having our beautiful girls :)

He loves the weather here, and the opportunities is has given him (he now runs his own business). The property market is much easier to enter as well.

However, all he whinges about is our food! Apparently the Scottish Bacon, and the indian take aways are just far superior to Australia haha..

Guest Kristie M

Oh and certainly the fact that he misses his family!! And with two little girls of our own, and no family around, this can be tough :(

I used to be in a very good job.... Business development and marketing of real estate development projects in China, for a Uk firm.... Despite having 15+ years experience and a good degree I am not flavour of the month in Sydney :frown:

Jamie Oliver is getting most of my attention at the moment, working my way through his recipes A to Z :cute:

it's crazy that you cannot get a job, much like AaronS.

Guest SupportPants

Best

the beaches, the ocean, diving on the reef (agreed bad viz quite often), the humpback whales and other amazing wildlife

the space

Worst

inability to find decent work despite MBA, 10 years managerial experience

the feeling that I'm cut off from everything that is happening in the world (probably as I don't feel I belong here)

the expense of everything - even if you earn great money retailers rucking you for so much is very annoying. Many large items are five or six times the price here and the choice is very limited

boredom - people are friendly but its hard to find good conversation

I too have succumbed to becoming a domestic goddess but i dare say I don't look good in a pinafore...but I have the best hoover in the world. Jaime's 30 minute cook book is brilliant, and my curries are masterful, other than that im insane from not working and am providing free managerial consulting in the USA via Skype and am doing business start-up planning for friends. We could be in the same situation in the UK, I'm now 52 and they dont want old people, and increasing unemployment so at least when Im feeling miserable I can walk the beach, go to the gym, or create a new meal. Life could be a whole worst. But, Europe still beckons, I will sell my soul to move to Brittany and fix up a cottage, grow veg, collect rain water, and run some online scam..LOL

From going to the gym I saw my ribs for the first time in 5 years..LMAO

I too have succumbed to becoming a domestic goddess but i dare say I don't look good in a pinafore...but I have the best hoover in the world. Jaime's 30 minute cook book is brilliant, and my curries are masterful, other than that im insane from not working and am providing free managerial consulting in the USA via Skype and am doing business start-up planning for friends. We could be in the same situation in the UK, I'm now 52 and they dont want old people, and increasing unemployment so at least when Im feeling miserable I can walk the beach, go to the gym, or create a new meal. Life could be a whole worst. But, Europe still beckons, I will sell my soul to move to Brittany and fix up a cottage, grow veg, collect rain water, and run some online scam..LOL

From going to the gym I saw my ribs for the first time in 5 years..LMAO

Please can I come and be your cook when you move to Brittany? I will also help with the online scam.... :wink:

Best

the beaches, the ocean, diving on the reef (agreed bad viz quite often), the humpback whales and other amazing wildlife

the space

Worst

inability to find decent work despite MBA, 10 years managerial experience

the feeling that I'm cut off from everything that is happening in the world (probably as I don't feel I belong here)

the expense of everything - even if you earn great money retailers rucking you for so much is very annoying. Many large items are five or six times the price here and the choice is very limited

boredom - people are friendly but its hard to find good conversation

Ditto on the worst list. I too have well over 10 years more like 25-30years, banking, high-education, financial services and consulting and MBA don't look my age, but cannot get a sniff. Yet, have drummed up interest from here in the states...no effort at all. Pathetic situation here on work front, closed minded, no vision of what you can bring to the table. I just happen to not want to go back to the States, yet may have to - bl**dy Lehman Brothers all their fault and the Fed Reserve! LMAO

Best: Undoubtedly empty beaches for long strolls, mild winters and never getting a cold, wine, fruit and veg, PIO and the people I have encountered here, gives me faith in not being alone and humanity.

Worst: Lack of friendly people who have zero ability to converse, heat, small town Adelaide, remoteness from the world, but given economic situation that may well be a good reason, carbon tax - ridiculous timing, the lack of jobs, and cost of living.

Please can I come and be your cook when you move to Brittany? I will also help with the online scam.... :wink:

I'll share my pad, and the kitchen, as for the online scam well we'll have to see..LOL We should see what we can come up you, me anyone else, there must be enough brain power under utilised in OZ on PIO surely we can do something of value - I do have one idea..PM me if you are serious...I'll run it by you...let you ponder it.

TTFN off to make bolognese..."the way my mummy used to make" let it sit for 6 hours...and plan next weeks shopping oh to be domestic goddess, my hands madge are killing me...LMAO

Some of the things that we are looking for. I think I must sound like a right Moaning Minnie today.

To some we must have a wonderful life in Spain. We have a good business, a nice house and lovely friends and family, who visit us as much as they can, but we want the same lifestyle but in a more stable economic environment, be able to communicate with everyone (easily) and have better prospects for the future. We feel that Australia can offer these things.

You'll find the time difference takes the "easily" out of that equation, unless all your friends and family don't work during the day...

Best = weather being able to plan a bbq and not have to cancel coz of rain, and children being able to play all the time.

Worst= realising how far away you actually are when things go wrong unfortunately for me ive buried both my parents and my father in law in the first 3 yrs of living here:cry:

Archived