Best or Worst

Candygirl

Best:

Mild winters and generally being warm, though that can easily and frequently spill over into *too* warm (see worst list)

Plenty of space, especially the wide, clear roads

Perth is generally a pretty city, I even quite like looking out over the suburbs though I know I am in a minority there

Less people (though this translates to less choice, see worst list)

Owning a home that I could literally only dream of in the UK

For hubby, working less and earning more (*big* benefit)

Worst:

The weather (sorry I know it's a big pull for a lot of Brits), it gets too hot, too humid, too uncomfortable for most of the time (Perth) Ironically, to say I moved for a healthier lifestyle I go out less now that I did in grey, miserable UK weather, also no change of seasons

No central heating and in the winter you *do* need it because the houses aren't built to cope

Flies=annoying

Supermarkets very poor here imo, less choice, poorer quality, this goes for most shopping here

But for me the biggie is distance from family, (for distance read permanent estrangement) for me it's too hard, I'm going home

Also would like to echo harpodom's comment about not wanting to travel around Oz and Asia, I just don't have any inclination, I used to travel around Europe alot especially France and Italy, you just can't do that easily when you're based in Oz

Ditto on the worst list. I too have well over 10 years more like 25-30years, banking, high-education, financial services and consulting and MBA don't look my age, but cannot get a sniff. Yet, have drummed up interest from here in the states...no effort at all. Pathetic situation here on work front, closed minded, no vision of what you can bring to the table. I just happen to not want to go back to the States, yet may have to - bl**dy Lehman Brothers all their fault and the Fed Reserve! LMAO

Dear lord that is the truth! Only we've decided to go back! It's like if you don't fit the mold here you don't get to work.....even if you are better than the mold.

My partner moved here four years ago from Scotland. The best part was (of course) meeting me, and having our beautiful girls :)

He loves the weather here, and the opportunities is has given him (he now runs his own business). The property market is much easier to enter as well.

However, all he whinges about is our food! Apparently the Scottish Bacon, and the indian take aways are just far superior to Australia haha..

Kirstie M, I am afraid I have to agree with your OH. When we lived in Sydney we desperately missed a "decent" bacon sandwich. I live in Spain now and still insist on paying the extra to have English back bacon - LOL.

You'll find the time difference takes the "easily" out of that equation, unless all your friends and family don't work during the day...

RockDr, I know, my parents are both retired and my best friend works from home, so OK there.

I should have explained myself better, we live in Spain and we are both able to hold a conversation in Spanish, but at times find it frustrating to deal with the bureaucracy here. The business advisers and suppliers we have around us are good, but the Spanish are not as "welcoming" to us Brits as they once were.

Archived