money?

jacquena

How soon you start earning is the biggest factor.

You need to figure out how long that money will last you without any income. (I'm in the process of doing the same for when we move back to the UK)

It's all very well for people to say "you'll be fine" but you need to have a plan B in case you run out of money before you get jobs. You still have to pay rent and bills even if you don't eat! That's not being negative just realistic.

That amount would probably last you a few months if you are careful, don't forget to factor in start up costs like rental bond and a car which will take a chunk out of it.

They will not like this reply as it tells the truth. I know I have been a little (lot) of a put down & I realy am still moving to oz but why screw your chances by rushing a life changing move.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mmmmm I really cannot remember how much we brought but it wasnt much!

My hubby started his job straight away and they paid him a week early for his first wage if I remember correctly.

Other than that we paid $10k for a 7 seater, $2k for a bond, $900 for 2 weeks rent, 500 for my friend towards staying costs ( we stayed wityh them for the first 2 weeks) and then food and extras We had no more than $15k if I remember and we did max our CC setting up again as we stupidly left all sorts behind!.

We are a family of 6.

If you are trying to emigrate on a tight budget (and GBP15,000 is very tight for a family of four) then don't blow your money on a migration agent. There will be far more pressing calls on your funds.

Also, one poster said they were clearing debts before leaving. I wouldn't do that. I'd leave some funds to pay off minimum repayments whilst I got myself settled - then look at repaying the debts. Your first few weeks/months will be the time you need every penny to be available.

Guest mattanlisa
Ha ha ha thanks peach, Iv felt under the weather all day and this post has just had me and my husband in stitches. Hilarious :) x

She's sooooo right tho! I've came across him in other threads and if i'd have listened to him i would've slit my wrists let alone given up on the Aussie dream! I now just smile when i see his posts knowing that one day I'll be in Oz, probably skint, but living MY idea of a dream life, albeit frugal!. Meanwhile the 'successful' man in question will still be here sitting in his winged armchair courtesy of the nursing home he resides in looking admiringly over his portfolio of properties and counting his money! Jealous? Me? God yes! Only because i feel it such a waste for someone to proclaim that they have the same dream as i, and have more than enough means to do so but simply 'wont do it yet 'cos i aint got enough cash!' If that makes me bitter, so be it! Sorry, rant over!

Guest mattanlisa
thankyou i have just read that post great help just wish there was one for (perth 1 year on )lol.

Just a thought, i remember a lady who went to Perth, Fiona1975 i think! I'm sure her posts would be relevant to you as she also was on a tight budget,like the majority of us! I'm sure if you read her posts you would find them informative,failing that,get in touch,she would give you good, realistic advice judging from her previous posts.

The fact remains, no matter how frugal you are, the money will not last forever.

How likely are you to gets jobs either before you go or pretty quickly after you get here?

I'm not saying it's not going to work, but you really do need to consider the possibility of having spent all your money and still not having jobs. All depends on what you do for a living I suppose as to how quickly you will find work. I've seen people on here say they got work in the first couple of weeks, others are 6 months in and still no luck.

The first time we came out here we had about 2k between us! But we were sponsored by my OH's company who paid for visas, flights and 1 months accommodation. But still I had to find a job and we managed to get a car and pay the deposit on our rental house. His first pay was a relief!

This time we got sponsorship again (it really is the cheapest way to do it!), and it even cost less than the first time because we both started work straight away, bought a brand new car on finance as they only want $1k deposit. The biggest cost this time was paying our mortgage in the UK for 3 months before it got rented out.

But we have also done un-sponsored moves from Australia to Canada and from Canada to the UK. Each time the shipping cost around $5k, flights $2k, visa for Canada wasn't too bad as it was a student visa, and rent there was super cheap in student digs (but horrible).

You can do it on less than $15k but I would really try and get a job secured before you arrive, or be willing to take any work. And also be prepared to rent a crap house in a crap area until you find your feet. To do it this way you will need nerves of steel to get through to the other side, those first few months will be very hard emotionally if your finances are really stretched. It is much easier if you have more of a financial buffer even if you don't need to spend it.

She's sooooo right tho! I've came across him in other threads and if i'd have listened to him i would've slit my wrists let alone given up on the Aussie dream! I now just smile when i see his posts knowing that one day I'll be in Oz, probably skint, but living MY idea of a dream life, albeit frugal!. Meanwhile the 'successful' man in question will still be here sitting in his winged armchair courtesy of the nursing home he resides in looking admiringly over his portfolio of properties and counting his money! Jealous? Me? God yes! Only because i feel it such a waste for someone to proclaim that they have the same dream as i, and have more than enough means to do so but simply 'wont do it yet 'cos i aint got enough cash!' If that makes me bitter, so be it! Sorry, rant over!
dont do dreams I live in the real world.

You quote the money I lost. Please can you give me the magic formula that gives you money you've never had! You have not lost money at all. What has happened is the figures you based your relocation on have moved so you will not realise the potential you thought you had.

It can be done I have done it recently. To the original thread starter if you want some truthful facts and genuine numbers pm me I will happily give you an honest answer.

And to mr doom and gloom I'm living the dream on my shoestring budget while you sit and dream of losing all that money you never had!

Hi,

15k should be fine, depending on where you are staying etc? I think the big thing will be securing employment early doors, as it will take a while to setup tax, get driving licence etc etc, things that might slow down the process of starting a job.

I don't think there is a set amount, as lots of people have different backgrounds, circumstances and ways of living. All I can recommend is budget, and have an idea early doors what your outgoings will be. I have seen a few threads on here with costings etc, I have created one myself to make me feel better about the move.

Worst case.... prostitution is legal in australia! So if I hit hard times, don't be suprised to see a geordie guy walking the streets of sydney looking for business. :)

like i said reality not a dream as i dont need to dream it is reality.

But the reality is that four and a half years after joining a migration forum, you still have no real plans for migration.

Some members come here to get ideas, information or support for their migration plans. Others come here to offer the benefit of their own experiences of migration. And a few come here to try to sell their services. But you don't seem to fit into any of these categories. What role do you see yourself playing here?

Worst case.... prostitution is legal in australia! So if I hit hard times, don't be suprised to see a geordie guy walking the streets of sydney looking for business. :)

Prostitution is legal but street work isn't. If you do choose to go down this route then get yourself off to a licensed brothel!

But the reality is that four and a half years after joining a migration forum, you still have no real plans for migration.

Some members come here to get ideas, information or support for their migration plans. Others come here to offer the benefit of their own experiences of migration. And a few come here to try to sell their services. But you don't seem to fit into any of these categories. What role do you see yourself playing here?

The devils advadcate (Spelling) You do need someone to paint the negative so in a way I would think I was doing the better job than someone saying go for it or what have you got to lose or you only live once ect at least I will make you think in the real world not a dream.

The devils advadcate (Spelling) You do need someone to paint the negative so in a way I would think I was doing the better job than someone saying go for it or what have you got to lose or you only live once ect at least I will make you think in the real world not a dream.

I agree that uncritical enthusiasm is dangerous, but you haven't actually experienced any reality - you have no more insight into migration than any other would-be 457er. There are plenty of people here who have made the move and for some it has worked and for others it hasn't. But they actually have relevant experience to share. Don't you think the devil would choose some of us to be his advocates rather than someone who just deals in hypothesis?

I agree that uncritical enthusiasm is dangerous, but you haven't actually experienced any reality - you have no more insight into migration than any other would-be 457er. There are plenty of people here who have made the move and for some it has worked and for others it hasn't. But they actually have relevant experience to share. Don't you think the devil would choose some of us to be his advocates rather than someone who just deals in hypothesis?
I have been 4 times close family live out there in all pars of oz so they have seen good & bad time so they have played the devil advacate for me as I play it for you am I so wrong ???

you can see by some reactions that they dont wont to here the negative & to me that is more scary than anything.Leaving uk with a average family of 4 going to the unknown with little money now that is scary.

You may be right, but you are the wrong messenger. Since you haven't got any first hand experience your negativity doesn't strike any chords. You'd be better off leaving the grim reality posts to those who have recently been through the experience themselves and who bear the scars.

You may be right, but you are the wrong messenger. Since you haven't got any first hand experience your negativity doesn't strike any chords. You'd be better off leaving the grim reality posts to those who have recently been through the experience themselves and who bear the scars.
by the reactions it has stuck a lot of cords. May be one day some will type thanks kirky I hated you 2 years ago but your posts made me wait 2 years & now I dont have dream it is reality here in oz.

by the reactions it has stuck a lot of cords. May be one day some will type thanks kirky I hated you 2 years ago but your posts made me wait 2 years & now I dont have dream it is reality here in oz.

The thing is, I thought you were way too negative when I joined the forum two years ago. I ignored you and moved anyway. I'm now married, have stepchildren and a dog, a lovely house, a good job and a reasonable future. It's not "thanks kirky", it's thank goodness I didn't wait at home in fear of my shadow.

by the reactions it has stuck a lot of cords.

You don't strike chords, just get on people's nerves. Being the eternal doomsayer or smug isn't help to anyone, when as pointed out - you have no personal experience of the costs of moving, or finding work, or cost of living in Australia.