Just arrived in Canberra

Postino

Hi everyone. We've been in Canberra a week and move into our rental property in Gungahlin next week. Has anyone any recommendations for restaurants, bars, local things to see and do for a 40 something couple with no children! Don't know anyone yet so any information greatly received.

New to PomsinOz so hope this works!

Many thanks :biggrin:

I like Grazing out at Gunning and the Hyatt buffet is excellent value (not romantic candlelight though). If you are up for lots of money then Alto at the Tower is a nice experience. The Boathouse (on the lake) is very nice but I have been less than impressed by Waters Edge (also on the lake) of late - it started out good. If you can find a not for profit organization flogging the Entertainment Book you will get lots of good deals at some nice restaurants (new book will be out in March/April ahead of the formal start in June).

You really are spoiled for choice and it depends on the type of cuisine you enjoy.

I don't live in Canberra and my experience there was always looking after my nieces, so I'm not of much help. However I do know that the National Gallery has an exhibition of Renaissance paintings on loan from Italy at the moment - the first time they have been allowed out of that country.

Siren is a new bar just opened up in Gungahlin - it's really nice, and then there's Ginger and Spice on Hibberson St in Gungahlin, lovely meal there too!! Depending on what is your 'cup of tea' there's also the Canberra Raiders club who do schnitzel night (every Wednesday I think), we usually go down there to watch the State of Origin matches and get some dinner while we're at it, it's a lovely big place and not to mention usually busy oh and you'll have to become a member there as well!!! :biggrin:

Thank you to all who replied - we've got a few options of restaurants and things to do now, both in Gungahlin and further afield so we'll enjoy sampling those!

This was my first post on PIO so will keep a close eye on events around and about to help the settling in process.

• 2 months later...

Hope you're enjoying Gungahlin, only just seen your post on here as I don't go on very often. As you will have probably found out the bars and restaurants are few and far between unless you go into the city that is. Up this end there is the George Harcourt of course and there is the new bar in Gungahlin Siren - we have only just moved back here so not tried it out yet. Just need a few more as taxi to even Dickson is an arm and a leg!

Hi everyone. We've been in Canberra a week and move into our rental property in Gungahlin next week. Has anyone any recommendations for restaurants, bars, local things to see and do for a 40 something couple with no children! Don't know anyone yet so any information greatly received.

New to PomsinOz so hope this works!

Many thanks :biggrin:

Hello and welcome to PIO and Canberra :) I've not been out much up near Gungahlin but if you're wanting some good pub grub once in a while the George Harcourt Inn at Gold Creek is great. We went there a couple weeks back and it's a really nice atmosphere and pretty good food too!

The George must have changed hands cos we ate there twice a year or so ago and it was bloody awful, might try it again now you have said that. We are going to try Siren this weekend - apparently it gets quite busy which is good, Gungahlin needs some more bars and restaurants, there is the Italian down by the pond which has a beautiful setting but again the food wasn't anything amazing and quite expensive. We don't do the club thing, hate them I'm afraid to say.

Thanks for the extra info. - we've tried Sirens and was quite impressed - heaters outside which is a bonus! Haven't tried the George yet but will give that a go.

I agree - lots of nice restaurants in Gungahlin but a few more bars wouldn't go amiss. Down by Yerrabi is lovely - we've been to the Italian (Da Nunzio's?) for coffee but not for a meal yet.

If any 'Gungahliners' fancy getting together for a drink sometime somewhere local - drop us a line and we'd be glad to meet up.

Archived