Cost of the pill?

Mizzmp

Hi peeps,

Be landing around May this year (horah) in Perth. i take the pill and my chemist (who is from sydney funnily enough) said my pills available but I will have to pay for it.

Any idea whether I get it over the counter or whether I have to get a script? Also, any ideas on cost?

Thanks.

Yeah I'm also interested in this. My UK GP can give me a prescription for a year to take to Oz with me but it doesn't really last a year as it's 12 4 week packs (assuming a weeks break is always taken) which will only last a maximum of 48 weeks so I'm wondering what I'll be able to do if/when I run out and I'm still in Oz?

I think it depends on the brand name, I've heard they are different prices - I'd be interested if anyone is on Microgynon over there (or its Ozzie equivalent if you can't get that one).

I managed to score a year's worth from the GP here (she always gives me 12 months at a time coz I'm a teacher can find it impossible to try and get appointments with the silly system now), and was going to go back and say I'd lost it in the packing up, but might be TTGP when it runs out, so didn't seem like a lot of point.

microgynon I think is the standard pill they tend to start most people on in the UK, so I would assume they have the same here, relatively cheaply. You will need to go to a GP for a script, they usually issue a three month script with three repeats (i.e. you get 4 lots of three months).

Yasmin is more expensive, around the $70 for three months.

I take Microgynon but get the generic version here which is called Levlen. You get a script for 4 months which has 2 repeats attached - effectively you're covered for a year. Each script costs around $22 depending on where you go. I get my scripts from a nurse practitioner within a local pharmacy which is much easier than going to a doctor - in fact, I think Medicare covered it without me having to pay anything for the appointment.

The pill is only available on prescription. The cheaper older pills like microgynon, logynon and levlen are available on the PBS (pharmaceutical benefits scheme) which means their price is capped @ approx $32 and you can get up to 4 months on a single script.

'Newer' or 'funkier' pills like marvelon, yasmin and diane (aka dianette) aren't on the PBS, which means they can cost a lot more, though you'll find the price can vary considerably between eg a local chemist and The Chemist Warehouse. Even with a PBS script the price can vary enormously. My BP pills cost $15 per month at The Chemist Warehouse, $30 at the local chemists.

Madness....

I used to be on Microgynon 30 in the UK and am now on Levlan ED. The only difference is that with Microgynon you get 21 pills, with levlan ed you get 28 pills (21 normal pills and 7 spacer pills which are just sugar). In order to stay on the same cycle I take the levlan ED pills out of order (i.e. I don't start on the pill immediately after the sugar pills). Which is all perfectly ok, they just put those sugar pills in there to prevent you forgetting when to start taking the pills again. But I've been taking it for 10 years now so getting pretty good without the help!

My doctor gave me a 6 month prescription with 1 repeat, so a year in total. I got it with a load of antibiotics for a sinus infection and couple of other things and my total bill was $90, so I'm guessing the Levlan was about $30 for 6 months. I only arrived with 1 month supply, and had plenty of time to arrange medicare to get my number (makes things at the doctors much easier, especially if you find one that bulk-bills so you don't have to pay). The doctor this time did take my blood pressure but in the past at another surgery he didn't bother, I had to ask him to do it for my own interest!

Just don't stress about it, there are plenty of other things to worry about when moving here!