Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi

Could you give me an opinion on the following please: -

- BMW 320d Saloon

- 2L Diesel

- Manual 6 speed

- Rear wheel drive

- Standard UK Spec, 4 door

- does it have aircon - Yes

- UK value approx £17k

- Australian RedBook value $58,300 to £80,400

- Australian market value $43,000

- Sydney or Brisbane

Hi there.

Would it be worth bringing a 2007 Toyota Aygo 1.0L/ automatic/ 38000miles to Bunbury, WA

UK value approx £3500

Australia value- unknown (they don't seem to have aygos there, but the same yaris retails for AUS$10-15000

Or also have a 2005 Nissan Almera 1.5L/ manual/ 77000miles

UK value- £1500

Austalian value- also unknown- they don't seem to have almeras either (!)

Sorry for missing data but guestimate based on your experience would be much appreciated

Thanks,

Sarah

Guest Guest67761
hello,

i am looking to move to perth in the coming month or two.

could you please provide an estimate for my current car to see if it is worth the hassle:

- honda, civic type r (ep3)

- hatchback

- 2.0l petrol

- manual 6gear

- fwd

- approx 77,000 miles

- standard (not modified in any way) - albeit car includes the factory fitted optional flood lights.

- a/c model (factory fitted, extra for these models)

- uk sale price (average taken) approximately £4,500

- australian redbook value - cannot find the ep3 type r listed on there!!

- australian market value ranges between $20,000 to $25,000 for cars of similar age/condition (but considerably less mileage)!

- perth

hope i didn't miss out any important details, thanks.

-aj

Luckily the higher mileage on your car will reduce the valuation for Australian Customs which means less import duty and taxes, however if you were looking at selling the car immediately then it might be a little hard with others available currently with well under half the mileage. On the other hand if you intend keeping the car for a while then it should make a lot less difference.

Here is a cost breakdown based on a quick search of costs. It could be slightly less depending on the final valuation for customs:

--shipping costs --

$1,431 ocean freight

$69 insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs & port fees

$429 import duty

$1,050 GST

-- road registration costs --

$800 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 registration (12 months)

$236 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

Allowing for these costs it works out that the car will owe you around $8,000 to $10,000 less than the asking prices on these other similar cars, so even taking into account the higher mileage I would still believe that this was a fantastic option to bring this car with you.

If you are looking at moving in the next couple of months then we will need to get started on the paperwork urgently as it will typically take around 3-6 weeks to get the import approval from the Australia Government before you can safely put the car on a ship. Please email me at craig@ironladyimports.com soon so we can get started.

Regards,

Craig.

hi

could you give me an opinion on the following please: -

- bmw 320d saloon

- 2l diesel

- manual 6 speed

- rear wheel drive

- standard uk spec, 4 door

- does it have aircon - yes

- uk value approx £17k

- australian redbook value $58,300 to £80,400

- australian market value $43,000

- sydney or brisbane

Based on the figures you have provided and using shipping to Sydney for this example, your estimated costs should be roughly as follows:

--shipping costs --

$1,431 ocean freight

$259 insurance (optional)

$1,058 import duty

$2,391 GST

$750 ADR compliance

$635 stamp duty

-- other costs --

.. however I think the valuation may come in lower which is likely to mean the total cost would be around $700 less than listed above.

Please let me know if you are interested in the possibility of bringing this car with you and/or needed and more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

hi there.

Would it be worth bringing a 2007 toyota aygo 1.0l/ automatic/ 38000miles to bunbury, wa

uk value approx £3500

australia value- unknown (they don't seem to have aygos there, but the same yaris retails for aus$10-15000

or also have a 2005 nissan almera 1.5l/ manual/ 77000miles

uk value- £1500

austalian value- also unknown- they don't seem to have almeras either (!)

sorry for missing data but guestimate based on your experience would be much appreciated

thanks,

sarah

Hi Sarah,

It's a hard thing to give exact prices when the models are not sold in Australia until we have the customs valuation in our hands, however based on the information you have provided and my 'best guess' technique it looks like you will be looking at costs of roughly around $6,200 for the 2007 Toyota Aygo. The good news is that the Almera was sold as the same basic vehicle in Australia as a Nissan Pulsar, although the smallest engine offered here was a 1.8L so it's not exactly the same, in any case I have done another 'best guess' calculation and it appears that this one might cost you somewhere around $5,800 all up. These prices include everything that would normally need to be paid to get the cars into Australia and on the road.

I hope this helps with your research. Please let me know if you need any more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest kianobeano

Hi Ironchef,

ours is

Ford Focus Ghia Saloon

has aircon

190,500 kilometers

1.6l petrol

about €5000 ...euro sorry!! prob would only get €3000 though loads have been reduced

found one on redbook for 80k kto 180 km its a 2005 from $11000

Thanks so much, was thinking of putting it in the 40ft im bringing ?

is the only thing i need to do before arriving the import approval form ?

regards

jennny

Guest Guest67761
Hi Ironchef,

ours is

Ford Focus Ghia Saloon

has aircon

190,500 kilometers

1.6l petrol

about €5000 ...euro sorry!! prob would only get €3000 though loads have been reduced

found one on redbook for 80k kto 180 km its a 2005 from $11000

Thanks so much, was thinking of putting it in the 40ft im bringing ?

is the only thing i need to do before arriving the import approval form ?

regards

jennny

Hi Jenny,

I believe that I have already replied to your query by email. Please check the email and let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Regards,

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jen257

Could you do this one for me please?

2000W Saab 9-3 2.0T S Convertible, Petrol, aircon , 90k miles £1500+ on a sunny day with the roof down, £1200 ( realistic manchester weather) Oz $8k.

Not too worried about re-selling as we like the car.

I need to also factor in transport from Manchester to Southampton

Edited by Jen257

Guest grbarber

Iron chef, really useful thread.

I am moving to Melbourne next year and my Company have offered to foot the bill of relocating us. As a family of four we have a Mondeo 2.0L estate with air con and cruise control. Its is a 58 plate with about 65k on the clock..

How easy will I find it to service, insure and if necessary repair once in Australia?

My other option is to sell it before we fly and then buy once we arrive in Australia. Accepting that the car is now paid for and how expensive will I find car finance etc once in Australia and how easy will it be for me to get credit as a newly arrived Pom?

Cheers

Gareth

Guest grbarber

PS

We expect to be in Aus for 4/5 years. We hope the car will last us until the end of this period so we would sell in Aus before returning back to the UK.

Gareth

Guest Levimouse

Hi Ironchef

I feel ridiculous even asking this but some of the above cars have surprised me

2001 VW Golf, hatchback, 1.9 SDI, manual, front wheel drive, 135,000 miles, no extras, no aircon

UK Value - £1000

Redbook - $4,300 - $5,900

Oz Market - $6,500

I think the lack of aircon alone puts it in cat c surely.

Thanks

Guest martine1

we have a 2005 vw golf 2.0 GTTDI 55000 miles excel condition is it worth paying to take our car to aus with us :policeman::policeman:

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2010

- make, model & variant Nissan Quashqai 1.5 puredrive

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) hatchback

- engine size & fuel type diesel 1.5

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) Front wheel

- mileage 19200

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value aprox £12,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) not sure but on this site it ranges from $27.000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city WA Perth

Many thanks

Guest parkmatt

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture - 2005

- make, model & variant - Mercedes Benz clk 220 Avantgarde

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - Coupe

- engine size & fuel type - Diesel 2.2

- transmission - Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - Rear Wheel

- any special features, options or modification - no

- realistic current UK market value aprox - £8000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - no clk220 in Australia closest was clk240 (2.6L) - $26000-$29000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - $28000

- which Australian state/city - Melbourne, Victoria.

Cheers!!

Guest Guest67761
Could you do this one for me please?

2000W Saab 9-3 2.0T S Convertible, Petrol, aircon , 90k miles £1500+ on a sunny day with the roof down, £1200 ( realistic manchester weather) Oz $8k.

Not too worried about re-selling as we like the car.

I need to also factor in transport from Manchester to Southampton

Without knowing all of the details of the car I can only give a ballpark estimate and that would be a cost of somewhere around $5,500 to $6,000 all up to get this car into Australia and on the road with all costs paid including our service fee. This would not include collection from you for transport to the ports which might cost around £300 to Southampton or maybe around £200 if we ship via Newcastle instead.

Please let me know more details if you wanted more information.

Regards,

Craig.

Iron chef, really useful thread.

I am moving to Melbourne next year and my Company have offered to foot the bill of relocating us. As a family of four we have a Mondeo 2.0L estate with air con and cruise control. Its is a 58 plate with about 65k on the clock..

How easy will I find it to service, insure and if necessary repair once in Australia?

My other option is to sell it before we fly and then buy once we arrive in Australia. Accepting that the car is now paid for and how expensive will I find car finance etc once in Australia and how easy will it be for me to get credit as a newly arrived Pom?

Cheers

Gareth

Hi Gareth,

We did get the same year model Mondeo here in Australia in various versions, although not the estate specifically so you may be looking at slightly more for insurance and bodywork repair costs for parts unique to the estate, however servicing should be no trouble at all.

I would be happy to put together a price estimate for you to bring this car with you and let you know if I think it would be a good option or not. If you wanted an estimate then please fill in the request form on our website at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate/

I can't advise on getting finance here in Australia because a lot has changed since I got here 14 years ago. You might need to call around and ask that question of some finance companies.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Ironchef

I feel ridiculous even asking this but some of the above cars have surprised me

2001 VW Golf, hatchback, 1.9 SDI, manual, front wheel drive, 135,000 miles, no extras, no aircon

UK Value - £1000

Redbook - $4,300 - $5,900

Oz Market - $6,500

I think the lack of aircon alone puts it in cat c surely.

Thanks

The overall cost to bring this car to Australia and get it on-road including all costs you would normally face should be somewhere around $5,700 to $5,900 which is not a lot below what it's going to be worth here. I would think it was a reasonable car to bring with you if you were attached to it and wanted to keep it, otherwise if you were looking at it purely from a financial and 'amount of hassle' point of view then it's probably not worthwhile.

Please let me know if you wanted to discuss it further.

Regards,

Craig.

we have a 2005 vw golf 2.0 GTTDI 55000 miles excel condition is it worth paying to take our car to aus with us :policeman::policeman:

I really need to know a little more before I can help you with a decent price estimate for this vehicle. Please head over to our website and fill in the cost estimate request form at http://www.ironladyimports.com/cost-estimate/ then we can do some decent calculations and get back to you with accurate information.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi there, would appreciate your thoughts on the following

- year of manufacture - 2006 (56)

- make, model & variant - Audi A3 sportback 1.6 SE

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Sportback 5 door

- engine size & fuel type 1.6 Petrol

- transmission - manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - front wheel drive

- mileage - approx 75,000

- any special features, options or modification - n/a

- realistic current UK market value £4,500 - £5,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - $12,800 - $14,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) -$18,000 (closest match bigger engine size)

- which Australian state/city - Perth

Guest Guest67761
What I need from you:

- year of manufacture 2010

- make, model & variant Nissan Quashqai 1.5 puredrive

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) hatchback

- engine size & fuel type diesel 1.5

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) Front wheel

- mileage 19200

- does it have aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value aprox £12,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) not sure but on this site it ranges from $27.000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city WA Perth

Many thanks

It looks like we only got these here in Australia with a 2.0L petrol engine rather than the 1.5L diesel that your car has, so that will make it a little hard to estimate the likely value and even harder for you to sell when the time comes to let it go to a new home.

A quick calculation shows that the cost to import this car added to the current value you have listed means that it would almost certainly owe you more than replacement value in Australia, therefore it would not make good financial sense to bring this car with you.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
What I need from you:

- year of manufacture - 2005

- make, model & variant - Mercedes Benz clk 220 Avantgarde

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) - Coupe

- engine size & fuel type - Diesel 2.2

- transmission - Automatic

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - Rear Wheel

- any special features, options or modification - no

- realistic current UK market value aprox - £8000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - no clk220 in Australia closest was clk240 (2.6L) - $26000-$29000

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - $28000

- which Australian state/city - Melbourne, Victoria.

Cheers!!

Based on the information you have provided I have come up with the following likely costs to import this car:

--shipping costs --

$1,406 ocean freight

$120 insurance (optional)

$600 import duty

$1,413 GST

$600 ADR compliance

$480 stamp duty

-- other costs --

This is based on normal RORO shipping from either Southampton or Newcastle. It doesn't include transport to the ports so if you are unable to deliver the vehicle there yourself then we could arrange collection at an additional cost.

Overall the cost looks like it would come in around $3,000 to $8,000 below the possible Australian market value, therefore it could be a good option to bring this car with you depending on it's mileage, general condition, etc. but in the end it would be your decision if you wanted to keep the car or not.

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi there, would appreciate your thoughts on the following

- year of manufacture - 2006 (56)

- make, model & variant - Audi A3 sportback 1.6 SE

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc) Sportback 5 door

- engine size & fuel type 1.6 Petrol

- transmission - manual

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc) - front wheel drive

- mileage - approx 75,000

- any special features, options or modification - n/a

- realistic current UK market value £4,500 - £5,000

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range) - $12,800 - $14,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) -$18,000 (closest match bigger engine size)

- which Australian state/city - Perth

Based on the information provided you would be looking at a total cost of somewhere around $7,500 to get this car into Australia and on the road with all normal costs covered. Here is a breakdown of the likely costs:

--shipping costs --

$1,406 ocean freight

$67 insurance (optional)

$480 import duty

$1,155 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$264 stamp duty

-- other costs --

The total works out to be maybe a little over what it would be worth here, that is assuming the current value of around £4,500 was achievable as a sale price in the UK. If it ends up selling for less then it might be more worthwhile bringing with you, also if the car was special or unique in some way, or just special to you, then it may be an option to bring it with you as well, however if it was purely a financial and 'is it worth the trouble' decision then I would tend to lean towards not bringing it to Australia.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
1) 2006, Audi A4 Avant (estate) s line tdi 140 bhp, 45kmiles (new engine, rest of car done 134k miles) air-con yes.

2) £6000 pounds

3) $25,000 ish (from what I can see / what family and friends out in oz have told me)

Based on the information you have provided I have come up with the following cost calculation. It uses a lower Australian value for the customs fee calculation as the diesel model was not sold here in this year range and therefore would most likely be valued lower even if the real market value was still quite high, so that is an advantage for you as far as import costs go. Also without knowing where you are moving in Australia I have just used Brisbane for this example so it may vary a little between states.

--shipping costs --

$1,400 ocean freight

$89 insurance (optional)

$350 import duty

$884 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$245 stamp duty

-- other costs --

It seems that this would be a very good car to bring with you to Australia based on the figures we see here. Please let me know if you wanted to know any more, or if you were interested in getting started with the paperwork.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest azizeh
Ok I've been having a tinker with this for a little while and think I've got it pretty close. I've developed an Excel spreadsheet that provides an estimate of whether or not your car is

Category A: definitely worth bringing, you'll do nicely out of it when the time comes to sell

Category B: only worth bringing if you love the car and/or plan to keep it for a while

Category C: not worth the aggro, you're better off selling it in the UK

*Disclaimers* - the estimates are based on the following:

1) using our most complete 'A Package' service at AUD990 (it's set up for our customers, obviously!)

2) using RORO shipping from Southampton (does not include transport to get your car to the port)

3) the current GBP/AUD exchange rate

4) an estimated Australian Customs value calculated for your specific vehicle

5) includes customs duty, GST and LCT where necessary

6) a set figure for customs clearance (which I've deliberately set higher than what they normally come in at)

7) includes the cost of Australian Customs valuation and transport to the workshop once cleared

8) includes allowance for the minor modifications needed before registration

9) includes road registration and stamp duty costs (for a "no surprises" all inclusive cost estimate)

As you can see, I've tried to be as upfront about the costs of getting the vehicle to Australia, and I have actually over-allowed on what many bills come in at. There are a heap of variables in here and each car is different, so don't be disheartened if you get a category C - the calculator isn't meant to be the ultimate authority, but it will give you a fair guide.

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Please can you help with our query. We are moving to Sydney on a 457 Visa.

Our ultimate intention is to remain permanently in Sydney.

Our plan was always to bring our car with us. Unfortunately our car was

stolen in April and has not been found. We have only just received the insurance money to purchase a new car. Obviously we would have owned this car

for less than the required 12 month period and were hoping that dispensation

could be made in our situation.

Please let us know what our options are.

Thanks

Guest Guest67761

Please can you help with our query. We are moving to Sydney on a 457 Visa.

Our ultimate intention is to remain permanently in Sydney.

Our plan was always to bring our car with us. Unfortunately our car was

stolen in April and has not been found. We have only just received the insurance money to purchase a new car. Obviously we would have owned this car

for less than the required 12 month period and were hoping that dispensation

could be made in our situation.

Please let us know what our options are.

Thanks

This is a very interesting situation which I have not come across before. My first instinct would be to say that they would not approve import of a different vehicle purchased to replace one which was stolen unless you had owned the new one for at least 12 months before applying, however I think there might be some room for special consideration if we put the case to them in just the right way. Still I think the chances are slim however it's something that I would be quite keen to have a shot at for you.

Please email me more information including copies of police reports for the theft, any insurance paperwork relating to this vehicle, registration documents, etc ... the more information and paperwork you can provide with a time line of events both for the car and your relocation to Australia the better. my email address is craig@ironladyimports.com

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest flyingkiwi

Hi Craig

I notice in a recent post that the import value for an Audi A4 with a diesel variant which was unavailable in Australia is much lower. I had been avoiding models in this situation, but on the basis that there are lower import costs associated, I'd be interested in your thoughts on importing:

Model: 2005 E320 cdi Avantgarde Estate

Mileage: 78000 miles

Cost: £8000

The e320 (petrol) version is available in australia, as is the e280 cdi which apparently uses the same engine, detuned.

Could you give me an estimate on the costs involved importing the e320 cdi please? What would be the disadvantages of looking to import this, rather than an existing australian model?

Thanks

Based on the information you have provided I have come up with the following cost calculation. It uses a lower Australian value for the customs fee calculation as the diesel model was not sold here in this year range and therefore would most likely be valued lower even if the real market value was still quite high, so that is an advantage for you as far as import costs go. Also without knowing where you are moving in Australia I have just used Brisbane for this example so it may vary a little between states.

--shipping costs --

$1,400 ocean freight

$89 insurance (optional)

$350 import duty

$884 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$245 stamp duty

-- other costs --

It seems that this would be a very good car to bring with you to Australia based on the figures we see here. Please let me know if you wanted to know any more, or if you were interested in getting started with the paperwork.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Kakimoto,

Thanks for the reply.

I have since spoken to a shipping company regarding furniture and they have said the car can share the container so no need for separate shipping fee,

The only costs they said there would be is;

the first charge was for 5% value of the car - £300

then the gst would be 10% of that total cost so £6000 + £300 total of £6300 = 10% fee @ £630.

they said there would be some registration fees but thats all.

Have they got this wrong or am I reading your reply incorrently?....your figures seem very high, especially the customs and port fees.

Any help is appreciated

Regards

Dan

Guest Guest67761
Hi Kakimoto,

Thanks for the reply.

I have since spoken to a shipping company regarding furniture and they have said the car can share the container so no need for separate shipping fee,

The only costs they said there would be is;

the first charge was for 5% value of the car - £300

then the gst would be 10% of that total cost so £6000 + £300 total of £6300 = 10% fee @ £630.

they said there would be some registration fees but thats all.

Have they got this wrong or am I reading your reply incorrently?....your figures seem very high, especially the customs and port fees.

Any help is appreciated

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

Please note that all of our costs listed are in Australian Dollars.

It makes sense that our estimates seem high because we have a policy of preparing you for the worst case scenario so we over allow on the costs to give you a better chance of coming in under budget. On the other hand most other companies tend to under quote to make it seem cheaper in order to get your business, so please make sure you are not misled.

The first thing to check is that you can include the car in the container WITHOUT needing to go up to a larger container. Usually a house lot of furniture will take up most of a 20 foot container and your car is just over 15 feet long on it's own, so combining them would normally require a 40 foot container which will cost considerably more. Please check with your removal company to be sure of the cost both with and without the car included.

Regarding the import cost here in Australia, most relocation companies do not know specifically what the costs will be as they only take care of the UK side of things anyway. We do this every day and I know that we are correct. Here is how it works ... The car needs to be valued by an Australian Customs approved service when it arrives in Australia as a basis for the calculations. The only way to know what this valuation figure will be is to find out from the valuer which is exactly what we do. It's also worth noting that the valuation service we use provides a tailored service for our 'Personal Import' clients and their valuations tend to be more favorable which means lower import costs in the long run.

Once we have this valuation that figure is used to calculate the import duty which is a flat 5% of the valuation. Then comes GST which is 10% of the valuation + import duty + ocean freight + shipping insurance all added together.

The cost we have allowed for 'customs & port fees' includes many smaller charges which would most likely be added separately to your bill by other companies, but just for the sake of cost estimates we roll them all into one figure as they are all payable at once. The includes the actual customs clearance costs, various port fees, AQIS inspection and cleaning if/when required, the cost of the valuation, etc. When cleaning is not required this would usually drop a little anyway, but again we prefer to over allow.

The actual customs agent fee for handling all of the clearance process is $150+GST ($165 total) and all other costs are passed on directly.

Everything we have listed as 'road registration costs' is approximate but it will all be required. This is something that other company just don't help you with at all.

Long story short, we are generally must closer than other quotes, and I believe it's better to end up costing $200 less in the end than $1,000 more!

It might be best to call me in person at some stage to go through it all. You can call during Australian business hours on +61 414 502 250

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
Hi Craig

I notice in a recent post that the import value for an Audi A4 with a diesel variant which was unavailable in Australia is much lower. I had been avoiding models in this situation, but on the basis that there are lower import costs associated, I'd be interested in your thoughts on importing:

Model: 2005 E320 cdi Avantgarde Estate

Mileage: 78000 miles

Cost: £8000

The e320 (petrol) version is available in australia, as is the e280 cdi which apparently uses the same engine, detuned.

Could you give me an estimate on the costs involved importing the e320 cdi please? What would be the disadvantages of looking to import this, rather than an existing australian model?

Thanks

Just out of interest, for the 2005 model the E320 used a 3200cc petrol engine and the E280 used a 3000cc petrol engine here in Australia. There was an E280 CDI variant which had a 3000cc diesel turbo engine but only in a 4 door sedan/saloon, not a wagon/estate version.

Your total import and on-road costs for the E320 diesel should be somewhere around $6,800 give or take. The same vehicle with a petrol engine would be valued a little higher for Australian Customs as it was a variant sold in Australia, so the import costs for that would be closer to $7,650 just to give you a comparison. Also if you were looking at an E280 sedan/saloon version of the same year, mileage and value then it would cost around $8,150 to import and get on the road in Australia.

I hope this helps with your calculations.

Regards,

Craig.