Is it worth bringing my car? The Iron Lady's trusty new calculator reveals all!

Iron Chef

Hi - we have a 59 plate Hyundai i30 1.4ES and wondering if it's best to sell or ship.

We bought this with a government scrappage allowance back so got a pretty substantial discount - we paid something like 8400 pounds on the road compared to 13000 list.

We have done circa 15,000 miles in it and it's still mint.

Looking at an equivalent model here it's about $15K for that age and similar spec so is it worth shipping?

Not my dream car, but it's a good A to B machine.

Our other car is a 2002 Volvo V70 T5 with 170,000 miles on the clock and worth 500 quid in the UK. Can't see this being worth anything other than selling, but any chance you could advise?

We're expecting we'll need to spend at least $15K to get something decent on the road over here.

Thanks

What I need from you:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian state/city

Please note when you are searching that most Vauxhall, Opel and some Chevrolet models will be badged as Holden in Australia.

Let's test it out :biggrin:

Hi Iron,

My dad is considering taking both his cars out with him on a parent visa:

Car 1

Seat Leon FR

2.0 Litre Turbo Diesel 170bhp

BTCC Body Kit with Black Alloys

Registered October 2009

Manual 6 speed

33,000 Miles

Air Conditioning

UK current value £13/14k

Doesn't seem to be an Aussie value, the Leon doesn't show up on 'redbook' But a close compare might be a VW Golf TDI which is $22,000-$25,900

Car Sales for the VW Golf is $28,000+

WA

Car 2

Mazda MX5

2.0 Litre Petrol

Convertible

Registered December 2005

Manual 6 speed

49,000 miles

Air Conditioning

UK Current Value £6,000

Redbook Value $20,000 - $25,000

Car Sales $22,000+

WA

Guest alextegg

Hi Alex,

I have run some calculations on the likely cost to import this car and get it road registered in Australia. Here is the breakdown based on the figures you have provided and shipment to Brisbane as an example:

-- shipping costs --

$1,452 ocean freight

$201 insurance (optional)

$1,500 customs & port fees

$800 import duty

$1,845 GST

-- road registration costs --

$700 ADR compliance

$150 roadworthy requirements

$600 registration (12 months)

$560 stamp duty

-- other costs --

$50 import approval application

$990 Iron Lady Imports fee ('A' Package)

After doing a little research I can only find one example similar to your vehicle and that is for sale with an asking price of around $33,500 so there is a chance that yours is actually worth more than the $28,000 you have noted assuming it's in really nice condition and is exactly the same specification as vehicles sold new in Australia.

Let me know if you need to know any more at all, or if you were interested in bringing this car with you to Australia.

Regards,

Craig.

Thanks for that, we would be looking to take the car to Perth, so if you could adjust the numbers for there if required and summarise as to whether it's worthwhile then we can decide.

Cheers

Alex

Guest Guest67761
Thanks for that, we would be looking to take the car to Perth, so if you could adjust the numbers for there if required and summarise as to whether it's worthwhile then we can decide.

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex,

There is not a massive difference between QLD and WA costs, the main thing will be ADR compliance which is around $100 to $200 more in WA, then the stamp duty which will be cheaper by around $120 or so ... therefore overall if might be a little more cheaper or just a little more, but shouldn't be more than $100 different either way.

Let me know when you are planning to travel to Australia and/or if you needed more information on how to get started with the process.

Regards,

Craig.

Edited by Guest67761

OH wants us to buy a T5 Caravelle before our move as we have read the horror stories about the price of 2nd hand vehicles in Oz.

Not sure if would make financial sense though. Currently prices for 2nd hand Caravelle's are for example:

(a) 2006 (06) 66k miles £15,000

(b) 2008 75k miles £17,995

© 2005 199k £7,000

It is worth buying and bringing with if so should we aim for the later model or go for low mileage regardless of year of manufacture??

Guest Guest67761
Hi - we have a 59 plate Hyundai i30 1.4ES and wondering if it's best to sell or ship.

We bought this with a government scrappage allowance back so got a pretty substantial discount - we paid something like 8400 pounds on the road compared to 13000 list.

We have done circa 15,000 miles in it and it's still mint.

Looking at an equivalent model here it's about $15K for that age and similar spec so is it worth shipping?

Not my dream car, but it's a good A to B machine.

Our other car is a 2002 Volvo V70 T5 with 170,000 miles on the clock and worth 500 quid in the UK. Can't see this being worth anything other than selling, but any chance you could advise?

We're expecting we'll need to spend at least $15K to get something decent on the road over here.

Thanks

Just working with the figures you have provided for starters it looks like the Hyundai might cost around $6,800 to bring to Australia including all costs needed to get it on the road here. We never got the i30 here with an engine as small as the 1.4L so you might find it's worth less than you expect so please keep that in mind when you make your decision. My opinion would be that it's not worthwhile bringing this one.

Amazingly the Volvo appears to be much more worthwhile when we get into the figures. This car being so cheap in the UK means that even once you allow for the $6,000 or so required to get it into Australia and on the road, it will still only owe you a total of around $6,900 all up. Even with the high mileage this car should be worth somewhere around $8,000 over here.

I hope this information helps a little. Please let me know if you needed and more information at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Iron,

Car 1

Seat Leon FR

Registered October 2009

Manual 6 speed

33,000 Miles

Air Conditioning

UK current value £13/14k

Doesn't seem to be an Aussie value, the Leon doesn't show up on 'redbook' But a close compare might be a VW Golf TDI which is $22,000-$25,900

WA

Car 2

Mazda MX5

2.0 Litre Petrol

Convertible

Registered December 2005

Manual 6 speed

49,000 miles

Air Conditioning

UK Current Value £6,000

Car Sales $22,000+

WA

The Seat Leon is probably not worth bringing unless you were looking at keeping it for a while. They are a great car however with the popularity of the VW Golf here it would be very hard to sell this car (unknown by most Australian buyers) for a similar price as the similar spec VW, therefore the only way to sell it would be to drop the price which then makes the numbers not add up well.

On the other hand the MX-5 is a good option indeed. With a total cost of somewhere around $8,100 to get this car into Australia and on the road you would end up with it owing you around $4,500 to $7,500 less than a similar vehicle in Australia might be worth. With this sort of margin I would strongly encourage you to consider bringing it with you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, otherwise if you are possibly interested in the option of bringing a car with you then let me know the planned travel date and any other information you have so I can advise further.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
OH wants us to buy a T5 Caravelle before our move as we have read the horror stories about the price of 2nd hand vehicles in Oz.

Not sure if would make financial sense though. Currently prices for 2nd hand Caravelle's are for example:

(a) 2006 (06) 66k miles £15,000

(b) 2008 75k miles £17,995

© 2005 199k £7,000

It is worth buying and bringing with if so should we aim for the later model or go for low mileage regardless of year of manufacture??

What you buy would really depend on if you were planning to sell it here in Australia for profit or keep it for your personal use. If it was something for your own use then you should get whichever vehicle best suits your needs, however if resale was a high priority then getting the best value for money vehicle would be the best bet, while keeping in mind what potential buyers might prefer.

If you wanted to find a couple of possible examples which are for sale in the UK at the moment, match them up with very similar vehicles (year, model, specification, mileage, condition, etc) for sale in Australia at http://www.carsales.com.au, then I would be happy to do a couple of quick calculations to let you know what might work out best.

Regards,

Craig.

The Seat Leon is probably not worth bringing unless you were looking at keeping it for a while. They are a great car however with the popularity of the VW Golf here it would be very hard to sell this car (unknown by most Australian buyers) for a similar price as the similar spec VW, therefore the only way to sell it would be to drop the price which then makes the numbers not add up well.

On the other hand the MX-5 is a good option indeed. With a total cost of somewhere around $8,100 to get this car into Australia and on the road you would end up with it owing you around $4,500 to $7,500 less than a similar vehicle in Australia might be worth. With this sort of margin I would strongly encourage you to consider bringing it with you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, otherwise if you are possibly interested in the option of bringing a car with you then let me know the planned travel date and any other information you have so I can advise further.

Regards,

Craig.

Thanks Craig, I'll pass the info along to my dad. He loves the Leon, but if the numbers don't add up then I doubt he'd bring it.

Thanks Craig. Bizarre that an old banger worth £500 is worth shipping. We spent 1500 on repairs last year so this might be better option than we thought as the car is mechanically sound and will trundle on for a few more years without issues.

Guest Guest67761
Thanks Craig. Bizarre that an old banger worth £500 is worth shipping. We spent 1500 on repairs last year so this might be better option than we thought as the car is mechanically sound and will trundle on for a few more years without issues.

Let me know when you are planning to come to Australia so I can advise further on the timing required and anything else that might help you through the process?

Thanks Craig, I'll pass the info along to my dad. He loves the Leon, but if the numbers don't add up then I doubt he'd bring it.

Craig, would you be able to break down the costs of bringing both cars? He's still interested in taking the Leon as he's planning on keeping it for a long time.

Guest alexphoon

Hi Iron,

I've bought a black 2007 Subaru tribeca and have used it for a year here in the UK. Planning on going back home this october.

It's in good nick. Bought it for a 9950GBP with 55K Miles on the clock. Now has about 65k Miles. Tribeca Se 5Str

Leather interior/aircon/sunroof. I'm not passionately in love with the car and it clearly isn't a classic but I do need a set of wheels when i return

It seems to be valued between 23K -27K AUD. I'm based in Cambridge and, if feasible, would need it sent to Sydney.

How long would it take to send over and what category would you put it in?

Alex

Guest Guest67761
Hi Iron,

Car 1

Seat Leon FR

Registered October 2009

Manual 6 speed

33,000 Miles

Air Conditioning

UK current value £13/14k

WA

Car 2

Mazda MX5

2.0 Litre Petrol

Convertible

Registered December 2005

Manual 6 speed

49,000 miles

Air Conditioning

UK Current Value £6,000

Car Sales $22,000+

WA

I am happy to give you an estimated cost breakdown for each car. Please note that these prices are just a 'best guess' at this stage as we would only know the exact costs once we have an Australian Customs valuation done to properly calculate the cost of import duty, GST, etc.

2009 Seat Leon

--shipping costs --

$1,430 ocean freight

$197 insurance (optional)

$300 import duty

$792 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$165 stamp duty

-- other costs --

2005 Mazda MX-5

--shipping costs --

$1,430 ocean freight

$91 insurance (optional)

$560 import duty

$1,327 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$308 stamp duty

-- other costs --

I have tried to over allow a little here to make sure the costs are not higher when you actually start the process, so there is a good chance that it will actually come in under budget. Also keep in mind that if you shop both cars then we would only charge $660 for the second vehicle so that would be a $330 saving right away.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Iron,

I've bought a black 2007 Subaru tribeca and have used it for a year here in the UK. Planning on going back home this october.

It's in good nick. Bought it for a 9950GBP with 55K Miles on the clock. Now has about 65k Miles. Tribeca Se 5Str

Leather interior/aircon/sunroof. I'm not passionately in love with the car and it clearly isn't a classic but I do need a set of wheels when i return

It seems to be valued between 23K -27K AUD. I'm based in Cambridge and, if feasible, would need it sent to Sydney.

How long would it take to send over and what category would you put it in?

Alex

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately the Tribeca is just a little higher than the maximum height to get the standard vehicle rate for shipping so it would be in the same class as an SUV. Here is a cost breakdown to give you an idea of the likely costs to get this car into Australia and on the road.

--shipping costs --

$1,907 ocean freight

$125 insurance (optional)

$640 import duty

$1,547 GST

$750 ADR compliance

$384 stamp duty

-- other costs --

Considering the costs involved I would think it was a good vehicle to bring with you if you were looking to keep it for a little while. It would owe less than replacement value here in Australia but not by enough to justify importing it just to get a better sale price most likely.

The entire process can be quite long starting with around 3-6 weeks to get import approval, then another 1-3 weeks to get shipping space, 4-5 weeks for ocean freight, maybe 1 week for customs clearance and another 2 weeks for ADR compliance and registration.

Please let me know what other questions you have if any.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Wazchap

Thanks Craig, confirmed what I thought best to sell it and buy again in Aus.

Hi Warren,

Based on the figures you have provided the total cost works out to be very close to the Australian value at only around $1,000 or so less. I would not think this was a good option to bring with you unless it was in especially outstanding condition, modified for your specific work requirements, or you are attached to it in some other way and really wanted to keep it. Of course if you have trouble selling it for close to the £5,300 estimated value then it could work out better to bring with you also.

Please let me know if you need any more information, or if you wanted to look at bringing the vehicle with you to Perth and wanted a full cost breakdown.

Regards,

Craig.

Having owned it for more than 12 months means that it should be suitable for approval under the Personal Import Scheme so that is a good start. If you can ship the bike in your container then that will save you around £550 to £700 which is the normal cost to ship bikes separately. You then need to allow for customs clearance costs and import taxes in Australia which will vary depending on the value of the bike. The bike will need to be certified to meet ADR's (Australian Design Rules) which will also be a variable cost depending on the bike itself, which state you moving to in Australia, and of course which workshop you use for this service. Finally you will need to have it registered which again varies in cost between states.

Sorry I couldn't provide a lot more information at this stage but I hope you can at least get something from what I have been able to tell you so far. Let me know if you have any other specific questions that I could possibly help with.

Regards,

Craig.

You are only likely to save a couple of thousand dollars by importing this car compared to buying a similar one when you get to Australia. If you are going a long way out of your way to rearrange travel plans and/or it's just a great hassle for a car that you don't care too much about either way then I would not bother bringing it with you. On the other hand if it's not a huge hassle, you like the idea of keeping the car, or are just leaning towards bringing it with you for some other reason, then it may well be worthwhile. It's really a borderline choice on this car so it will have to be your decision in the end.

I hope this has helped rather than just causing more questions!

Best wishes,

Craig.

That is correct, way back in 2006 most Australian's still thought diesel was only for farm equipment and trucks, so we have only just started getting common passenger car models with diesel engines in the past few years.

The good news is that being an odd variant compared to what is available in Australia mean it will likely be valued low for Australian Customs purposes and therefore cost you less to import. The bad side is that it will be harder to sell in Australia when the time comes and may be a little harder to get some parts if required for repairs and/or servicing. It's up to you to decide if the good outweighs the bad or the other way around.

An estimate of the costs you are likely to face, based on shipping to Brisbane as a guess, should be somewhere as follows:

--shipping costs --

$1,440 ocean freight

$77 insurance (optional)

$245 import duty

$667 GST

$700 ADR compliance

$172 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this comes to around $6,600 give or take. When you add this to the current vehicle value of £5,000 (around $7,700) then it works out that the car would owe you around $14,300. I can't advise if it's worth more than $20,000 here in Australia because of the different engine type which should be appealing to some buyers but turn others away, but then I don't know your specific vehicle, it's condition, options and features to be able to estimate the value properly. If you are reasonably confident that it's worth a fair amount more than the value it will owe, or you really just want to keep the car regardless, then it could well be worth bringing with you.

Please let me know if you need any more information about the costs involved, the service we offer, or if you wanted to look further into your options at all.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest thefourofus

Hi.

We have a 09 volkswagon passat Bluemotion, 2ltr Diesel.

24,000 miles.

Not sure if it worth bringing it to Perth.

Thanks,

thefourofus

Guest Lisa Brain

year of manufacture 1998

- Porche 911

- coupe

- engine size & fuel type 3.4 petrol

- transmission tiptronic

- 4wd

- mileage 98000

- aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value 10000

- Australian RedBook value )$106,900 - $121,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - cant find!

- Brisbane

hey, i have a silvery blue 2007 ford transit van, t280 lwb medium roof. 6 speed manual 2.4 diesel. It has no aircorn and is in excellent condition. it has 125,000 kilometers and the sale value in ireland is 5300 euros if im lucky. It values between $1800 to $2300( i think). Im hoping to use the roll on roll off from liverpool to freemantle in Perth. My question is iron lady .... should i bring it to oz or sell it before i go? and if it is worth bringing what are the costs? cheers

Hi Please could you help me is it worth shipping my car..its a 2010 black Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi [95] Zetec 5dr diesel ...miles 22,000...aircon..autotrader uk..£9,000..£9,500..Many thanks wendy

Guest Guest67761
Hi.

We have a 09 volkswagon passat Bluemotion, 2ltr Diesel.

24,000 miles.

Not sure if it worth bringing it to Perth.

Thanks,

thefourofus

Please let me know a little more information so I can give you a decent cost estimate. Here is everything I need to know:

- year of manufacture

- make, model & variant

- body type (coupe, convertible, etc)

- engine size & fuel type

- transmission

- drive type (4WD, front wheel drive, etc)

- mileage

- any special features, options or modification

- does it have aircon

- realistic current UK market value

- Australian RedBook value (http://www.redbook.com.au - click through to the page with 'Private Price Guide', 'Trade In Price Guide' and 'Price When New' listed, then tell us the 'Private Price Guide' range)

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle)

- which Australian city or state?

Cheers,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
year of manufacture 1998

- Porche 911

- coupe

- engine size & fuel type 3.4 petrol

- transmission tiptronic

- 4wd

- mileage 98000

- aircon yes

- realistic current UK market value 10000

- Australian RedBook value )$106,900 - $121,800

- Australian market value (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/search.aspx - search for the closest matching vehicle) - cant find!

- Brisbane

The information I found on the RedBook website was quite different to the price range you have mentioned. What I have found shows a 'private price guide' of around $50,000 to $57,700. Can you please check the link below and let me know if this is basically the same model as your car, otherwise please give me the link for the page you were looking at with the higher value listed?

http://www.redbook.com.au/cars/research/used/details?R=94586&Silo=Spec&Vertical=Car&Ridx=0&eapi=2

To give you a ballpark idea of the importing cost compared to the likely Australian value I will give you a final figures based on the base RedBook 'private sale' for each scenario:

Australian value: $106,900

Importing cost: $16,787

Car would owe: $32,050 (including current £10,000 value)

Potential profit: $74,895

Australian value: $50,000

Importing cost: $11,296

Car would owe: $26,514 (including current £10,000 value)

Potential profit: $23,486

Either way it would be a fantastic vehicle to bring with you, either to keep for your own use or to resell for profit once you get here. I would have no hesitation in bringing this car even if it meant having to leave one of your children behind instead (at least the car will make you $$$ unlike the kids!) :wink: but seriously, you should work out a way to bring this car regardless!

Please email me at craig@ironladyimports.com for more information.

Regards,

Craig.

Guest Guest67761
hey, i have a silvery blue 2007 ford transit van, t280 lwb medium roof. 6 speed manual 2.4 diesel. It has no aircorn and is in excellent condition. it has 125,000 kilometers and the sale value in ireland is 5300 euros if im lucky. It values between $1800 to $2300( i think). Im hoping to use the roll on roll off from liverpool to freemantle in Perth. My question is iron lady .... should i bring it to oz or sell it before i go? and if it is worth bringing what are the costs? cheers

I don't believe that the RORO services from Liverpool service Australia. I am led to believe that the only RORO port which goes to Australia is Southampton so you may need to arrange delivery of the van there, or possibly it could be transported by RORO from other ports to Southampton prior to shipment to Australia.

Here is a rough cost estimate for this vehicle based on shipment from Southampton to Fremantle:

--shipping costs --

$1,918 ocean freight

$64 insurance (optional)

$490 import duty

$1,227 GST

$800 ADR compliance

$270 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up this works out that the van would owe you around $17,500 give or take which is a little below the possible Australian market value, especially if it's in better than average condition. You may want to look at bringing it with you if you planned on keeping it for a while, however if you don't have a great use for it in Australia and are not that attached to it then you might prefer to save the time and hassle of the import process and just sell it prior to leaving.

The final decision is in your hands however if you think you might like to bring it then please let me know and I will be more than happy to help you with everything and look into shipping options that might suit you better.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi Please could you help me is it worth shipping my car..its a 2010 black Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi [95] Zetec 5dr diesel ...miles 22,000...aircon..autotrader uk..£9,000..£9,500..Many thanks wendy

Hi Wendy,

If this car is worth £9,000 or more in the UK then you should absolutely sell it before you leave, unless you are very much attached to the car and really want to keep it regardless of the cost. There are a couple of these listed for sale in Australia at the moment with almost exactly the same specification and they are selling with asking prices of around $12,500 and $16,000 and both have lower mileage than yours too. Just converting the £9,000 to $AUD would be around $13,900 at the moment, plus the importing costs would send it well above the Australian replacement value.

Regards,

Craig.

Hi,

Can you give me your opinion on the following:-

- Mazda MX5 Roadster Coupe, Automatic

- Convertible Coupe (Hard Roof, powered retraction)

- 2L Petrol

- Automatic

- Rear wheel drive

- 1500 (yes only 1500! wifes car)

- Standard UK Spec, Leather, Bose stereo, cruise, reversing sensors

- does it have aircon - Yes

- UK value £13000

- Australian RedBook value $33,000 to $37,000

- Australian market value $47,000 (Drive away, dealer)

- Sydney

Thanks

Guest Guest67761
Hi,

Can you give me your opinion on the following:-

- Mazda MX5 Roadster Coupe, Automatic

- Convertible Coupe (Hard Roof, powered retraction)

- 2L Petrol

- Automatic

- Rear wheel drive

- 1500 (yes only 1500! wifes car)

- Standard UK Spec, Leather, Bose stereo, cruise, reversing sensors

- does it have aircon - Yes

- UK value £13000

- Australian RedBook value $33,000 to $37,000

- Australian market value $47,000 (Drive away, dealer)

- Sydney

Thanks

Sounds like a nice car and it would suit Sydney perfectly! .. here is a cost breakdown of likely costs for this car:

--shipping costs --

$1,424 ocean freight

$197 insurance (optional)

$985 import duty

$2,231 GST

$750 ADR compliance

$591 stamp duty

-- other costs --

All up it works out very well with the car owing you at least $10,000 to $15,000 less than asking prices of similar cars in Australia.

Please let me know if you have any other questions at all, or let me know when you are planning the move if you wanted further advice?

Regards,

Craig.

Hello,

I am looking to move to Perth in the coming month or two.

Could you please provide an estimate for my current car to see if it is worth the hassle:

- Honda, Civic Type R (EP3)

- Hatchback

- 2.0L Petrol

- Manual 6Gear

- FWD

- Approx 77,000 miles

- Standard (Not modified in any way) - albeit car includes the factory fitted optional flood lights.

- A/C model (factory fitted, extra for these models)

- UK sale price (average taken) approximately £4,500

- Australian RedBook value - Cannot find the EP3 type R listed on there!!

- Australian market value ranges between $20,000 to $25,000 for cars of similar age/condition (but considerably less mileage)!

- Perth

Hope I didn't miss out any important details, thanks.

-AJ