Cat with a past!

Hanbo24

Hi, we are planning to move in 2013 with our 2dogs and cat, I'm slightly concerned about my cat as he has pins in both knees due to an rta and one missing hip joint due to a dog attack! Hes not on any medication and is only 5, will he be allowed over with us??

Thanks

Hi,

At the last minute we brought our eight year old cat who was half bald from a food allergy and also has a titanium leg! No problems with her getting here and she is thriving over here and is nearly fully furry again! She's still a nervous scardey cat but is loving the weather and can't wait to get outside in the mornings! So glad we brought her!

Gill x

Dear all

This is really interesting to me anyway! Firstly your cat will be just fine, so dont you worry about that. The other really interesting thing is that pets and their crates do have to be xrayed before they fly. There is lees risk to them than having an xray at the vets, so it is completely safe, but the xrays are great. I checked in a pet and then had a look at the xray and you cna see the lungs/heart/liver/bladder really clearly. It did worry the security guy when i started pointing all of these out - i suppose not many vets get to see that kind of thing! The point is that you would totally see the pins when they are xrayed, so whoever flies these pets needs to put a note on the crate to say that this pet has metal pins in the legs so that the security people at check in are not too worried!

Sorry for the pet shipper geekiness:)

Two of mine traveled with vet notes, one just because she is old and the other had developed a bit of a sneeze a few days before travel, but was given an antibiotic and checked before travel and had a normal temperature again, stopped sneezing and was deemed fit to travel.

It is obvious when you think about it that the crates and animals are x-rayed together as it would be possible to smuggle all sorts of nasties in them such as drugs, bombs etc.

However, I was having an amusing thought about them having to walk through airport security metal dectectors like we do, queuing up with their little passports, dogs in one line and cats in another to stop fights! Sorry I have a daft imagination!

We saw Satch go through the X-ray scanner, bless him the bloke who checked her in for us explained all about the radiation dose not being high etc etc (I didn't mention what I do for a living either).

If only he'd mentioned to us what we were expected to do NEXT it would have been easier - but still all good and she's safe and sound with us now :)

p.s. We printed out a big photo of Satch and stuck it to her crate to make sure people knew who she was and that she was special :)

Well it made me feel better anyway!! And when I got to quarantine to visit her, they'd stuck it up on their wall of fame!!

Yay :)