How much money needed

Guest gwen

Is there anybody out there that has already moved to Oz,and did not take alot of money.

We are hoping to go over on a skilled visa,we do not have a house to sell here.We both work and are hoping to save some money why we are going through the process.

I no we are not going to have alot to take over.Anybody else in this situation.

Thanks Gwen :goofy:

Guest Tom the Pom

How long is a piece of string.......?

That's a tricky one.

If you take every possability into account you will have missed something - so plan for the worst (you can't go far wrong then).

If you are brave/studid (there's a thin line) then just go for it and will sort itself out

Hi Gwen,

We are going out with next to nothing. We have a house to sell but what we make on that will go to paying off debts and paying for the flight.

We know it is going to hard but we also are looking forward to the adventure and the challenge.

Pete

It is a though one. We dont have alot of money with us. We do still have a property in the UK, my brother is renting it but his rent only just covers the mortgage and we do have a financial commitment to pay in the UK as we didnt sell our house we couldnt pay it off. Having said that we have been living on $600 week for family of 4 (2 little ones) rent $350. I have recently got a little job so we are about $150 week better off now. It is a struggle but its amazing how you manage.

Good Luck

Em x

Gwen,

After originally being over in 2004 and going back to the UK after a few months it blew our money. But after 2 1/2 years we saved what we could and that was renting a house for £700 a month in Kent and came back this year with only a few thousand after paying for shipping. Bought an old car and renting a house without pool for $310 dollars a week. It is very scary but we wanted to give it a good go this time even if in a few years we move elsewhere, but I don't think it will be back to the UK even though there is my sister who I love and miss and some places in the UK are lovely.

It all comes down to you personally and how much you want to try.

Liz

x

We don't have a lot of money with us either and no mores likely to appear as we didn't have a house to sell either. We're a family of 4 and up to yet I don't work. we live of around $750 but have no furniture yet as we have to but most things all over again.when our things arrive we will have the boys beds and a dining table.lots of personal stuffcoming though. to top it all of we have now to fly out of Oz to get our permenant visa granted. we doing it now then we will at least be a bit better of by having child benefit etc back. At least you can do lots of things over here for free so you enjoy yourselves anyway.

it is hard but i'm sure we'll all get sorted and straight once we've been here a bit longer

dawn

Thanks for all the lovely replies and for being so honest,we are going to be in the same boat as all of you,to be honest with you we are both in jobs over here and still struggle,so in my eyes we are going to be doing the same over in Oz BUT what I do no its a brand new start and we should be able to build our way up again on our credit and life style.

Some people say we are mad for doing it,they say we are in good jobs and rent a lovely house in the country,which is all true but my husband works away and I only see him every other Sunday my son has just gone into the Army my other son has just moved to Perth,so most of the time its just me and my daughter who has a horse and has just started to study her stages,as she wants to be a riding instructer she also has a year and a half to do at school.

So what I do no she would be able to carry on her horse training and get a damn good job in Oz that pays a hell of alot better than here.

So to me "yes" we would be struggling but the life style and seeing my oh would be worth it "I think" :spinny:

Guest beverley

thats right money isnt everything, and you need to weigh it all up. In the long run I think we will have a better quality of life in austraila. especially when you look at housing! we brought and are currently living in a one bedroom ground floor flat which is soooooooo small in uk i can actually stand at a certain point in the flat and see the front garden, lounge, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom! ha ha all for £120,000!! which i think is just bloody crazy. in australia i could get a nice house for not much more!

Guest pearlynn

Hi finally things are selected and I plan to move to perth in March I have worked out from this wonderful forum about rent ,car , roughly how much I may need for

Travel/fuel

Medical insurance

Nurse indemnity

Customs fees re my shipping crate

any thing else I should consider

currently saved £10,700 = $25,000AUD

i am a qualified nurse/midwife

THANK YOU Px

:wubclub:

Guest FamFive

You know what we had over a year ago alot of money to take to aus, but "bye the bye" we have paid alot out since in not only all the fee's etc but everything to do with moving over sea's and whilst supporting our teenagers (who are students) and paying for all storage\shipping etc., we now have a limit of how much we are taking.

However, our thinking is that if we stayed here then hey... we would still need a hell of a deposit and savings account to start a new mortgage, but what we get for our money here... not a lot. At the end of the day if you are wanting a new life for you and your family where would you rather save England or Australia! My idea is Australia as here in England outdoor life is no good because of the weather (which is the actually where the best family bonding is done) and the cheapest!

So I reckon you can have a really nice life and time in Australia whilst saving however not so in England as we can not even go for a picnic or bbq because of weather' so what do we do. We choose meal, bowling, pics etc which with a family all costs.

I hope you know where I am coming from. And anyone in australia at present please correct me if I am wrong. We are moving to Australia for the outdoors even if its in our own garden! And hence I sure think I would rather be saving in Australia than saving in England....... cold dark long days and nights..... don’t thing so.

Don’t you worry so much and grab it and take hold and im sure you’ll enjoy more in Australia than you even imagine………….

Xxx

Liz

You know what we had over a year ago alot of money to take to aus, but "bye the bye" we have paid alot out since in not only all the fee's etc but everything to do with moving over sea's and whilst supporting our teenagers (who are students) and paying for all storage\shipping etc., we now have a limit of how much we are taking.

However, our thinking is that if we stayed here then hey... we would still need a hell of a deposit and savings account to start a new mortgage, but what we get for our money here... not a lot. At the end of the day if you are wanting a new life for you and your family where would you rather save England or Australia! My idea is Australia as here in England outdoor life is no good because of the weather (which is the actually where the best family bonding is done) and the cheapest!

So I reckon you can have a really nice life and time in Australia whilst saving however not so in England as we can not even go for a picnic or bbq because of weather' so what do we do. We choose meal, bowling, pics etc which with a family all costs.

I hope you know where I am coming from. And anyone in australia at present please correct me if I am wrong. We are moving to Australia for the outdoors even if its in our own garden! And hence I sure think I would rather be saving in Australia than saving in England....... cold dark long days and nights..... don’t thing so.

Don’t you worry so much and grab it and take hold and im sure you’ll enjoy more in Australia than you even imagine………….

Xxx

Liz

Thanks for that Liz,you got it right it cost me a fortune with my teenage kids.Nothing is cheap in the UK.Me and my OH have decided why carry on struggling in the UK with the horrible weather,people who don't even speak to you anymore.You would think I was getting old I am only 39,infact the only time people pass you and say good morning and smile is when its snowing and 2inchs deep ( funny isn't it ) .We no we can get work out there and we would have to rent for a while.But like you said the beaches the weather the parks even the out back LOL and of course the good old BBQ and some good friends and a couple of bottles of wine all year round would do me and not at all expensive.:wubclub: Thanks again Liz and for all the other replies

Gwen x x x

I've been reading all your posts , and I'm a little worried as to your perceptions of what you are expecting to find in Australia . Now call me a spoil sport or perhaps a damp squid or something , but if you are on a low budget , just don't have an accident , illness or heaven forbid need dental treatment while you're here . My daughter recently broke her leg , she received absolutely no sick pay , was sacked from her job and had to sell her car to survive despite being supported by us . I addition we have just payed out over $6000 on dental bills !!! .. How would you pay those bills on a low budget ?? ... You can always survive on a low budget I suppose , it just depends what standard of living you expect . As I said sorry to be a spoilsport , but that's a honest picture ..

Guest JoanneHattersley

It all depends on the standard of living that you are looking for and expect. I was also brought up to make the most of what we had. I am the type of girl that "if I dont need it I dont buy it". If I want something I look at "so I really need it?" first. Like someone says - how long is a piece of string!!!!

I would have to agree.. I can only take the WA experience I have had.

When we thought about migrating 4 years ago, everything looked cheaper. The price of houses here in WA was about half what it is now, the cost of living was also cheaper. Mortgages are about the same on average but.. interest rates are about 8% at the moment and increase every few months, the price of insurances are about the same, car registration is about the same as it is in the UK. The council rates are about half those for Glasgow i.e. $1000 as opoosed to the 3000 in Glasgow.

You have to pay for everything medical wise and dentistry. You need medical insurance, else if you earn over $60000 AUD you get slugged with a 1% surcharge on your wages,.

Food is also about the same, perhaps the exception is red meat which is cheaper. Petrol is also cheaper at about $1.40 at the moment. When we first arrived it was $1.00. Electiricity is more expeisive and if you have a 4x2 house here with bore reticulation and a pool electicity costs more, Gas is also more experisive.

With all this in mind salaries are less and you are 'expected' to work hard and possibly do overtime for free. My standard working week is 40hrs plus. With a 30 minute commute each way.

If you were lucky enough to have landed perhaps 4 years ago or so you could be very well off as you could have sold in the Uk and probably had enought to purchase in Oz after the Uk boom in house prices at that time etc but not now.

Would I change it - not in the world. I love the country and even though getting bored of WA here would not change it for a minute, the climate, the safety, outdoorsy life and the general relaxed almosphere here make it perfect for what I want out of life. But as all the mentioned above.

T

Guest Morven33

I started a similar thread called Cost of Living and did a bit of moaning!!!! But like you Tim I wouldn't change it for the world, I love living here, its just not what I was expecting though. In the past I have been fortunate enough not to have to work full-time and in Scotland we had enough money to be frivilous and if I wanted something I bought it etc. etc. I could go to the supermarket and just fill my trolly, I couldn't have told you how much a pint of milk was or a loaf of bread! But here, I know the price of everything!!! I have to look out for specials and cut price meats, its very exhausting. I want to have a good life here, visit lots of places in the country, have the jet ski and eat out. As someone else said its all about personal preferences what you want out of life. I didn't come here to make do and get by, I want it all so it looks like I'll just have to make sacrifices and work full time to get them. The point I'm trying to make (and probably not doing too good a job of doing) is that unless you come out here with a whack of money and are fortunate to be able to afford something mortgage free or a very small mortgage, have no other commitments, kids etc. (especially teenage ones, they cost a small fortune!) then you will need to work pretty hard to have luxuries, if you want them that is. Oh and as Dave said for god sake dont get ill or need dental work.

Oh and someone else said something about working longer hours. That is true. In Oz you will see a job advertised as part-time and then find out its 37 hours a week. My husband works longer hours too.

Can I just also say that this is my opinion based on my lifestyle here in relation to the one I had in Scotland and observations I have made from speaking to other families who have moved here also from the UK.

BUT ITS WORTH IT!!!!!

Moan over.

Guest Morven33
I work 73 hours per fortnight. Much less that I did in the UK - I was doing 48-54 hour weeks there

My God Joanne that would kill me!!!!!LOL (The 73hrs per f/n never mind 48hrs per week)

Guest JoanneHattersley

Its only as hard as you make it!

I regularly did 48-60 odd hour weeks. Now its a breeze doing 30 something! This is the least that i have EVER worked!

What part oz to you intend to move to?

I will give you a general idea about Melbourne.

Rental cost has increased in the last five years.

E.g.

Three star hotels cost about 99 Dollars per night

Were 56 per night 5 years ago?

Probably best going for budget accommodation

The best rate I could get was 390 dollars per week

That is on little Collins Street Melbourne.

To rent a two bedroom flat close to central Melbourne

Is about 260 – 320 dollars most of the leases are for 12 months.

It is difficult to find 6 month leases.

Be care full you may see some for less than 200 dollars but

These are restricted to students.

It you are happy live more than 30 min from Melbourne

The prices drop you can rent a house for the same price

Unfortunately house prices have gone up over hear too.

Thankyou for all your replies,

I can understand what most of you are saying.But from what everybody is telling me, the UK seems more expensive.We rent a house in Lancashire and it is £300 a week council tax is £110 a month electric and gas have really gone up here.Fuel is now £1.06 for diesel and £1.03 for unleaded.I have just taxed my range rover which cost me £99 for 6 months.Morgages have gone up again.

Me and my husbnd work,my husband works away and I see him on a sunday evening before he goes back again, (which is not much of a life for him or me) i work a 40 hour week.

Me and my husband do not mind working and I could never give up my nursing.But there has got to be more to life.Now when you get in from work you get in the house and dont want to go back out as its usually raining or bloody cold or windy.If you want to go out it cost you a fortune.We live right next to the beach its filthy and not a place you like to go for a walk.I love the out doors and me and my daughter have 2 horses and love riding.I am not neive and I no life is not a bed of roses.But as my Aunt said they went over when they where selling tickets for £10,there was her my uncle and two small children they had a hundred pounds to there name my auntie said it was hard.They lived in a shack (she said it was more like a shed ) for two years they ended up living in australia for 20 years and she said she wound not change a thing.

To me yes you need money but its not everything,long as I have my husband and children and health I think you can make anything work in your life if you try.

We have been trying in England or years now and I sick of giving to this country and getting nothing back.

Anyway I better shut up I think I gone on enough.

Gwen x x :notworthy:

Xxx

Liz

Nothing ventured nothing gained :smile:

Most of the poms that move to Westen Australia purchase a plot of land

and build a house near the beach.

because of the cool breezes from the sea. it gets to 40 deg there in the summer

probally best if you have the garden on the land side of you plot of land.

Parking is free at most beaches in Western Australia:cool:

You will need a car because things are so far appart

Kings park in perth is worth a visit in spring time when all the flowers are in bloom.

plenty of open space for the kids to play

The bad news is land prices have increased drastically in the last five years.

but if you are prepaired for a few years hard work you sould be able to afford

somthing.

Things are so relaxed over here a bit like the U.K was 20 years ago.

I was so tempted to settle in Perth.

but had already planed to move melbourne.

It is a big country so if you do not lke one state move to another. :)

Thanks for that Liz you are so right on all accounts.You forgot to say when you go for a PickNick or BBQ you have to pay to park your car somewhere which is never cheap.

I just want to get over there and start are new life,and join my son who just went over there 3 weeks ago.I miss him so much.

Gwen x x x x :jiggy:

Archived