How much money needed

Guest gwen

Guest Impatient

Gwen

I think you have already covered this in your posts - if you don't have much money in the Uk you won't take much with you to Oz, simple. So what - you will be no worse off in Oz! You can slowly build yourself up, start a new life and although it may be a struggle, it sounds like it is now in the UK, so what is there to lose? You sound like hard-working people and Oz seems to reward those that get off their butts and want to contribute, so I say 'do it' and good luck to you.

Imp

Thanks for that Imp,we are going for it like you said struggle here struggle there,no which one I prefere and it will give us a chance to get our credit up again.And the biggy be with my son,and be a full family again.

One thing I dont understand is,my son has been there just over two weeks,he has been offerd 8 jobs already three that pay really well.So when people say they are struggling to get work over in Oz which ( I have read on a number of occasions )it makes me wonder if they are looking or willing to do anything.Bit like over here really people moan about there being no work,but I open the paper every thursday and it full of f jobs.you have to work hard to maqke your dreams com true.

Sorry about that just needed to get that of my chest xxxxx Gwen

Guest Impatient

Gwen

I think that is fair. There are many people who go into this move expecting a little much and seem to be a bit shocked when it is harder than they expected. For me, the move is not about not having to work as hard, more it is about a complete change, an opportunity to do something I have always wanted to do and live a different lifestyle. At the point I move, I will be going through a big change whether that is in the UK or Oz - the absolute worse that can happen to me in Oz is that I work as hard, but live in a better climate - the best is a great big long list of dreams that may or may not happen. Healthy dose of realism really helps.

Imp

Guest Morven33
Gwen

I think you have already covered this in your posts - if you don't have much money in the Uk you won't take much with you to Oz, simple. So what - you will be no worse off in Oz! You can slowly build yourself up, start a new life and although it may be a struggle, it sounds like it is now in the UK, so what is there to lose? You sound like hard-working people and Oz seems to reward those that get off their butts and want to contribute, so I say 'do it' and good luck to you.

Imp

Hey Imp

My OH and I have been talking about this for the past few days and have come to that conclusion. I admit I did have rose tinted specks and it hit me hard when I realised we had to still work hard to get what we want. So as you said we will struggle for a while but it will get better. We were remembering when we moved into our first flat together the two of us with our 3 year old son, both working, it was a shock to the system that we had to pay all our bills and rent! (we had been living with my Mum before that). What a struggle that was BUT we got there, built up our lives and worked hard to get what we wanted. Now we are doing that again here.

As for work Gwen, I applied for 89 jobs before I got a temporary one and had to re-train to prove my qualifications for that as my experience in the UK didnt count. I can tell you it is very sole destroying when you try so hard to get a job and apply every day with hope to not even get an acknowledgment, never mind an interview. Its all about personal experience, your son seems to have been very fortunate.

Good luck Gwen, hope everything works out well for you and your family.

Thanks for that Liz you are so right on all accounts.You forgot to say when you go for a PickNick or BBQ you have to pay to park your car somewhere which is never cheap.

I just want to get over there and start are new life,and join my son who just went over there 3 weeks ago.I miss him so much.

Gwen x x x x :jiggy:

Hi Gwen

I think you have a the same opinion as us in some ways, we went over to the Perth area in August and a few things were not as we expected and there were a few shocks along the way….but a lot of that was down to the “rose specs” bit I guess. However I did see a lot more opportunities than I feel are left in the UK and that will be available when my two young sons grow up and try and enter the skilled labour market.:unsure:

The cost of living is about the same but at least the weather allows you to get out of the house and enjoy the country side and beaches etc instead of trying to peel my sons off their playstations etc and take them somewhere(indoor) that costs a fortune to enter and eat whilst there …

I know I will have to work as I do in the UK, but as an X-Pat told me whilst I was over there “you have to earn a living, why not do it with the sun on your back”

The cost of living in the UK is going through the roof from petrol well over £1 a litre to house prices forcing a lot of first time buyers to look at shared ownership etc.

In a way we feel that the UK is going downhill so fast at the moment, the decision has been nearly made for us and for a lot of people I talk to who are emigrating (not just to Oz) it’s a case off getting off the sinking ship …

Pat

If you are experenced in the building trade it easy to find a job in your trade.

I arrived in Perth 23 June 2007

Saturday is the best day for job adverts

There were over 30 pages of jobs

60% Building trades

20% Mining Industry

19.99 % the rest

And only 2 electronics jobs in my trade so I moved Melbourne.

After 2 weeks obtained a temp electrical techicians job which ended last week

I have sufficient funds to be choosy have worked all my life with very little break

Archived