Migration Agent!!

natalietrueman84

Hi All,

want to apply for partner visa, but from experience does anyone think it is worth getting a migration agent to assist me rather than doing it on my own? How much should I consider paying? Also can anyonw recommend a good one with good success results?

thanks really really want to get back to oz but am so worried I wont be successful!

Thanks

Natalie

Guest meettherobinsons

Hi, we used Ian Harrop, not cheap but the know what they are doing! We used them to relive any stress, at the end of the day they do it day in day out and know how to answer the questions!!

Guest RobynT84

we used an agent and everything went really smoothly. Now that we have the visa I do sometimes think that we could have done it ourselves and saved the money but it's easy to think that when it's all over and done with. If we did it all again I think I'd still use an agent because you know that the likelyhood of being rejected because of a technicality is hugely reduced.

We used Thames migration and they were very professional. Everything went well, without any major hiccups but at times I found myself very frustrated with the lack of a personal approach. That said, I would still recommend them as we always felt that we were in good, professional hands.

Partner visa is straightforward enough to do without an agent, but if you have any doubts about your evidence, criminal record or other complications I would definitely recommend an agent. I used Go Matilda! for mine and cannot praise them highly enough.

Thanks everyone you have been so helpful :-). How much should I be expecting to pay? I have a quote fro $3300 AUD and do you think an agent is Oz is more efficient than one in UK? I just dont want to be ripped out thats all. I am so worried about getting rejected!! Do you have to have skills assessments, IELTS for the partner visa, i didnt come across this as the summary. I have wills, joiont bank account and going to put together all evidence ie flgiht tickets, bank statements, personal statements, hotel receipts etc... do you think this will be enough?

I am just worried I am going to pay and get rejected!!

thanks

Guest RobynT84

Hiya,

We paid £2100 including VAT but this did not include the cost of the visa itself... you might want to check what's included. But, considering the exchange rate the quote seems about right.

With regards to evidence; utility bills and bank statements are best but get together as much documentation as you can - better to have too much than not enough!

As far as being rejected is concerned; if you want it badly enough then that's just a chance you'll have to take - As long as you meet all of the requirements!

Guest RobynT84

They're not lawyers as such (although Hannibal, who handled our case, did happen to be an Australian lawyer) they are migration agents.

And, yes, ours did absolutely everything for us. Any forms which were required, they sent to us and advised exactly what parts we needed to complete. They collated all of our information right at the beginning so they could complete most of the forms on our behalf and most of the time we simply had to sign and return the hard copies. They sent us links to anything we had to book ourselves such as the IELTS test and Medicals.

All in all, it was a very comprehensive service and there was very little we had to do ourselves.

I would suggest researching any agents you are considering as much as possible, check out their MARN credentials and read some reviews before you commit yourself to anything.

Best of luck!!

Partner visas are very different to GSM visas, your will not require skills assessment or IELTS.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Many people dont use an agent for partner visa, as agent wont be able to gater all the information that you require. There is quite a few threads from people who have done Partner visas applications themselves and have detailed the information that they have provided.

Partner visa is straightforward enough to do without an agent, but if you have any doubts about your evidence, criminal record or other complications I would definitely recommend an agent. I used Go Matilda! for mine and cannot praise them highly enough.

I concur with Peach. If yours is a simple case & you have no added complications then you can do it just as easily yourself. My partner & I did the application ourselves and it went through in just under 4 months with no issues.

We did it ourselves for hubby's visa and it was straightforward (and he went straight to a 100!).

It takes time to gather the evidence, but that's something an agent can't do for you anyway.

Our situation was pretty straight forward - lived together for ~2.5years then married for ~1 year by the time we applied.

Unless it's complicated (eg there are kids from a previous relationship involved, you've got a criminal history, or have been declined a visa in the past) it really is easy enough to DIY - your CO will ask you for more info if they need it.

Check out the partner visa guide from DIAC - it really does spell it out for you.

:)

Hi We got our Visa 3yrs ago which started of with an agent in Australia it was a nightmare we had 3 different people and were told to have our Medicals first then we were never told we had a case worker until 6mths later, after that I cancelled the agency and finished the rest with the case worker myself she was so helpfull and sorted out an extension for us to activate as out year was up. I would certainly recomend anyone to try it themselves and you get lots of help on this site as far as I know nobody looses a Visa from doing it themselves but I may be wrong Hope this helps Evelyn x

Any forms which were required, they sent to us and advised exactly what parts we needed to complete.

There's an instruction booklet that does the same job

They collated all of our information right at the beginning so they could complete most of the forms on our behalf and most of the time we simply had to sign and return the hard copies.

There's a checklist at the end of the form with the same information

They sent us links to anything we had to book ourselves such as the IELTS test and Medicals.

Available on the DIAC website and info about medicals is sent to you by your case officer when required

All in all, it was a very comprehensive service and there was very little we had to do ourselves.

Actually, you had to do it all for yourselves - you supplied all the information, say your own medicals, applied for your own police checks; and provided your own evidence. All the migration agent did was read the forms to you and trouser a four figure fee.

Whatever works for you. If you have a complicated case or can't fill in forms then an agent might help. But if your application is straightforward then go for it yourself. Also, bear in mind that a migration agent will not change the outcome but will simply help you to present the information correctly first time around.

Guest RobynT84
There's an instruction booklet that does the same job

There's a checklist at the end of the form with the same information

Available on the DIAC website and info about medicals is sent to you by your case officer when required

Actually, you had to do it all for yourselves - you supplied all the information, say your own medicals, applied for your own police checks; and provided your own evidence. All the migration agent did was read the forms to you and trouser a four figure fee.

Whatever works for you. If you have a complicated case or can't fill in forms then an agent might help. But if your application is straightforward then go for it yourself. Also, bear in mind that a migration agent will not change the outcome but will simply help you to present the information correctly first time around.

I'm not saying that an agent is for everyone but from our point of view it was definately necessary. There was a whole lot more to our case than what I have stated here but I was simply answering the question which was asked.

I'm not saying that an agent is for everyone but from our point of view it was definately necessary. There was a whole lot more to our case than what I have stated here but I was simply answering the question which was asked.
Sorry, I didn't mean to pick on you - I'm sure you had good reason to use an agent. I just wanted to dispel the myth that they are necessary in every case. An agent will always try tommake you think that it couldn't have been done without them but often this is not true.

I think I may use one as mine is not as straightforward as it could be given we have to live apart due to my WHV expiring. also the fact that we live with each others parents when we visit, so may need expert advice. Would be a big reassurance too. Thanks everyone, i really rate this site you have all been so helpful and informative, almost a security blanket and something that picks me up when im feeling down about my chances so thanks :-)

Archived