Social Workers applying for Child Protection Posts in WA

livethedream

Shame not more folk are chipping in with on the ground experience working here. But wish you guys all the luck. I wouldn't be too concerned as it is very hard to get locals to stay long in the job. Hence I feel they'll take most if not all who come close to matching requirements.

Used to work in NT. A unique experience all round. Actually rather like the NT ......the real Oz adventure....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shame not more folk are chipping in with on the ground experience working here. But wish you guys all the luck. I wouldn't be too concerned as it is very hard to get locals to stay long in the job. Hence I feel they'll take most if not all who come close to matching requirements.

Used to work in NT. A unique experience all round. Actually rather like the NT ......the real Oz adventure....

Thanks Flag of Convenience. Yes, it would be useful to get some feedback from other working in WA and NT. Idon't think i could handle the heat in NT, or the insects/wildlife. My brother was working in Kathrine last year and really enjoyed himself, but his favourite place was Broome. I personally would give them all a try, but with a young family, it wouldn't be fair to move them about too much, so fingers crossed for Perth.

Regards

Suzanne

My case study was sent at 8.15am. I was finished by about 9.20 though :/ However they did say it was a good interview, wrote down everything I said and nodded all the way through. They did not want me to expand on anything. It's so easy to sit here analysing everything so I am trying not to!

I bet they were really tired after our interviews, bless them.

I have been to Mundarah but no further south than that and I have been upto Monkey Mia, the plane stops at Geraldton to collect workers. I did not get off the plane though. I have heard mixed reviews about this area so a little unsure. I think my preferences are for Albany and Bunbury. I have not been but have done a lot of research and I think they fit what we are looking for.

I did my student placement at CAFCASS and loved it, however working in CP now. I have been in a long term team for 17 months but have just offered a new post in a duty team as I need a change. Either way looks like my life is changing!

I'm 28, as is my husband, my daughter is 10. Where abouts in the UK are you? I'm in the Midlands but currently work in Warwickshire.

How soon are you able to go if offered a post?

Without being rude how come you have applied for a level 1 social worker as opposed to a senior worker, it sounds as though you are very experienced.

How about anyone else on here? It would be great to hear from others :)

Were there senior posts to apply for too? If so I completely missed that! Nevermind, if I do get a post then I am hoping to progress as quickly as possible but I won't expect to run before I can walk!!! Will have a whole new set of policies, procedures and legislation to learn :biggrin:

I'm also in the midlands - B'ham to be exact - that's why I want to move!! Been here too long now!!

I agree with Suzanne (aka livethedream) - would be great to hear from those already in WA or NT doing social work (although being selfish I just want to hear about WA)!! I haven't applied to NT as I don't think I would handle the tropical season very well at all!! I've put all my eggs in one basket so will just have to wait and see what the craic is!

Can I ask - do you work for WA government?

Lynsey

Yeah I have applied to NT aswell as I do like the tropics :-) and i like that Darwin as the night markets and the far eastern influence but then they may offer me Tennants Creek or something! Yes the salary and benefits for WA are a lot lower than NT. But people say NT is tough so its swings n roundabouts i guess!! Certainly with NT there was P1 or P2 and i asked for P1 which they agreed with.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Wow, I'm late to the show. That's what happens when I lurk on a different forum of which there are no SW threads for WA. Well, I had my interview on 29th Feb and, as others have said, went well enough. My references have also been sought. So exciting on one hand...never-racking on the other!! :)

I guess it's now a wait until end of March to hear officially. It's daunting to think how much needs to be done at this end before taking myself and family to the other side of the planet (all being well).

Great to hear your thoughts on this 'journey'

Kind regards

Phil

Hi all

Wow, I'm late to the show. That's what happens when I lurk on a different forum of which there are no SW threads for WA. Well, I had my interview on 29th Feb and, as others have said, went well enough. My references have also been sought. So exciting on one hand...never-racking on the other!! :)

I guess it's now a wait until end of March to hear officially. It's daunting to think how much needs to be done at this end before taking myself and family to the other side of the planet (all being well).

Great to hear your thoughts on this 'journey'

Kind regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

Glad the interview went well. Where in the UK are you? And being nosey, have you asked for metro or country location....just interested to know, as see you have family. I have a 4 and 8 yr old and have asked for metro areas. Let us know how you get on.

Suzanne

Hi Phil,

Glad the interview went well. Where in the UK are you? And being nosey, have you asked for metro or country location....just interested to know, as see you have family. I have a 4 and 8 yr old and have asked for metro areas. Let us know how you get on.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne

I'm currently down in Kent. I haven't done childrens social work for about three years now, I'm actually in secure mental health. Although it's a nice job, I don't feel in my heart that it's real social work in many ways. It's time to move on a progress! I've asked for a country location. I've never really been a city boy and don't feel I'd miss something I've never had. I have been making enquiries about Goldfields, possibly Kalgoorlie, with the district Director, who was on my panel. We have a four year old too, so I want to be Aus-side before September when he is meant to start school.

Phil

I agree with Suzanne (aka livethedream) - would be great to hear from those already in WA or NT doing social work (although being selfish I just want to hear about WA)!! I haven't applied to NT as I don't think I would handle the tropical season very well at all!! I've put all my eggs in one basket so will just have to wait and see what the craic is!

Can I ask - do you work for WA government?

Lynsey

No don't work for WA govt at this stage, both self and OH (social worker over ten years WA experience) myself related area( some fourteen years WA ) I must say I wonder at times just where so many new folk will hope to find work outside of CP,which is always searching staff or Justice was often looking out for folk but haven't checked that in recent times.

You don't really see many Social Work positions these days. It has somehow in areas blended in with Welfare Worker positions in recent times. Don't want to say too much as it is for everybody to make their own minds up.....but not a walk in the park to be sure.

Hi

still no news my end. I have put down to work in Bunbury or Albany as my first choices, then Peel Region, followed by Metro areas and then Geraldton. I think I would prefer the regional areas to be honest. How about you, what areas have you requested?

Guest guest68109

Hi saw your post and drawn to it. I was a Child Protection Nurse Advisor in the Uk and now working as aMental Health Nurse in WA, as that roles does not exist here so that gives you some indication of where we are in Child Protection. I would say 10 years behind. I have been here 3 years and cried for 2. Settling better now but only because i know we cant go back as there are no jobs. Kids love it - but it really is not easy to begin with. We came from Scotland with 3 kids. My children were 2 years ahead in the education system and no one was that interested to help. They now just excell academically here but only because the other kids are very behind. My 11 years olds are way ahead in literacy and maths because they were taught properly from age 4 - here they start school at 6. My 6 year old spent 2 years in kindi and preprimary glueing cereal boxes together while i taught her to read and write at home. We paid fees for that priviledge as we are Catholic and Catholic Schools are fee paying. I found all that very difficult and still

do. On he up side my job is easy and well paid but i miss the child Protection side of things nurses were involved in at home. My husband is an IT Manager and he doubled his pay here and halved his stress and has a lovely 10 min train ride over the river to work every day. The family really is happy here but you give up a lot and up until last year i would have said we had made a huge mistake coming here. Think very carefully of why you are moving. I feel sorry for the multitude of British families who give up good well paid jobs and leave friends and family to come over here. Apparentlu 50% go home again!

The visa took us 2 years to complete but we emigrated on the skilled visa and the whole proscess cost us about 4000 pounds ( cant really remember now) There is many many expats here and you will make friends and will be welcomed so don' t worry about being lonely. It is very different though. Sorry i am not a social worker but i have worked with the social workers here on Child Protection matters. Again many are British so you will be well at home.

Hi Tia

I requested a few areas, although no metro, as I'm not really interested in city life. I've never lived in a city here, so I won't be missing a great deal. I have been having chats with people in Goldfields, particularly Kalgoorlie. When isolated at least it's a big town, most mod-cons and the outback/nature on the doorstep.

Hello,

I have been formally offered a position in Darwin....dilemma if offered a position with WA aswell!!!

Yes its good to hear peoples experiences already there...luckily I am coming on my own with nothing to risk here so definately the right time for me.

Certainly seems that way! I nearly applied to NT, and definitely would have done had it not been for the WA recruitment drive. The only thing that really bothered me about Darwin, well, aprt from heat/humidity combo, was the price of accomodation. I know wages are proportionately higher, but even so...$500AUD per week for basic seemed incredible, especially at NT really need the workers. At least WA recognise that fact and offer more substantial incentives to rural workers. If you like adventure and remoteness I do know that Goldfields has a position up in Warburton which is way out in the wilderness. It would be no good for my family, but if I was a solitary man...I'd defo consider it, just for an amazing experience.

Hello,

I have been formally offered a position in Darwin....dilemma if offered a position with WA aswell!!!

Yes its good to hear peoples experiences already there...luckily I am coming on my own with nothing to risk here so definately the right time for me.

Well done you!!!!!! How exciting, so where you heading to if you get both? Certainly have a dilemma on your hands now...sure you would get through WA too! I'm fed up of the waiting game now and want to know! It's been about 5 weeks now....surely we must hear by the end of the week i would've thought.

Suzanne

Yeah, the NT offer 12wks free accom, flights and relocation on top which is for Darwin, but this is like half a year for rural places like katherine...not sure what WA offer ... anything? But yeah being single i am flexible i guess but there has to be enough people for me to meet etc... Alot depends on what teams i get offered aswell...i find it boring being stuck in an office all day ...like duty teams are here.

Hehe thank you Suzanne, I did think i did much better at the NT interview though...muchbetter face to face. Keep checking my email...

I had my letter this morning. A letter of success :)

One more step closer!

I replied on the other thread but just to say I received my letter this morning too.

Half of me is excited, but it's not a formal offer of employment and the uncertainty of if/when that will come leaves me unsure how to feel at present

Archived