standard of pre school education in Oz?

Harpodom

sorry, I meant somneone posting without a hidden agenda

????? I certainly don't have a hidden agenda. I just said my piece because (a) I'm interested in education generally and developping the best in a child's potential (b) I have a (foster) grandson about the same age as your son. However their educational experiences to date have obviously been very different although they are in neighbouring Australian states. I have no idea why the two states have adopted different approaches to early childhood education.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest famousfive

Harpo my dear,I think you are in for a shock.If pre-school has been a let down school may not be any less so.You may have to reassess you expectations.As long as your kids enjoy school and you instill a love of learning in them then the world is their oyster and they will do just fine.My best advice would be......don't leave it all to chance that the school will teach them all you want them to know and when you want them to know it.If you feel they need to learn something,or need to do something better or at a younger age then teach it to them yourself.This is what I do and my three are like sponges for knowledge now.

PS.My girls have obviously inherited their intelligence from their mother........ahem!!Yours may well get it from their father of course :)

Nothing demonstrated that more to me than when one of the local footballers (whose son was in the same kinder) did a session with the kids. The over the top fanfare beforehand in the newsletter said it all, then there was the gushing praise of said footballer in the next newsletter.

Yes, but you are in GEELONG! :rolleyes: Football Mania Centrale. :arghh:

Am relieved to say that the 5 year old in my life was not exposed to any footballers at school. The sport focus seemed to be on weekly swimming lessons. He was awarded "Star of the Week" twice - once for his presentation on the lifecycle of a butterfly and once for his performance of a Japanese song. So maybe Hobart is the 5 year old intellectual capital of Oz .:cute:

Am relieved to say that the 5 year old in my life was not exposed to any footballers at school. The sport focus seemed to be on weekly swimming lessons. He was awarded "Star of the Week" twice - once for his presentation on the lifecycle of a butterfly and once for his performance of a Japanese song. So maybe Hobart is the 5 year old intellectual capital of Oz .:cute:

of course!

One funny (and slightly worrying) thing I heard from a colleague a few months back. His friend had a kid, aged 11 at the same primary school my son goes to next month. The colleague asked the kid what they were doing for home that night.

'Colouring' was the answer.

I sh6t you not!

Yes, but by that age there is often a large discrepancy between the homework they are given and what they tell their parents they are given...according to the teachers in my family. Some kids are serial offenders.

yes Geelong, home of supposedly some of the best schools in the state, namely Geelong Grammar and Geelong College

Yes, but by that age there is often a large discrepancy between the homework they are given and what they tell their parents they are given...according to the teachers in my family. Some kids are serial offenders.

so he was just lying then. did you ask him personally?

sorry, I meant somneone posting without a hidden agenda

The word "agenda" seems to be en vogue with you lately. Somone expresses an opinion and your pre-conceived notion of the poster leads you to thinking that they have an "agenda". If they agreed with you, would they also have an "agenda"? or would you welcome their views, as apposed to dismissing them as somehow of no consequence due to an "agenda"?

so he was just lying then. did you ask him personally?

Just observing, after living with kids for many decades, that some are a bit creative when it suits them.

Especially after listening to teachers' stories of what actually happened and then hearing the the kids' version as told to the parents.

So I'd be a bit sceptical. However, if it were true I'd be worried. Unless the 11 year old was in special education for intellectually disabled.

yes Geelong, home of supposedly some of the best schools in the state, namely Geelong Grammar and Geelong College

Which might demonstrate that your son's academic future won't be terminally harmed by his exposure to footballers at preschool?

I'm amazed that Australia manages to turn out any doctors, lawyers, or indeed any professionals or academics if the schooling is that bad? I'm guessing they must be home schooled or the descendants of migrants who had their kids in pre school in the UK? Can someone enlighten me please?.....................I fear for my kid's future as I unfortunatley put him into an Aussie pre-school when he was younger................dunno what I was thinking of! :goofy:

I'm amazed that Australia manages to turn out any doctors, lawyers, or indeed any professionals or academics if the schooling is that bad? I'm guessing they must be home schooled or the descendants of migrants who had their kids in pre school in the UK? Can someone enlighten me please?.....................I fear for my kid's future as I unfortunatley put him into an Aussie pre-school when he was younger................dunno what I was thinking of! :goofy:

I have given up having any kind of 'discussion' about this sort of thing now. My 14 and 9 year old and doing very well in school here in Perth. I have nieces and nephews in the UK who are doing well too but no better than my kids here. I think the thread title really should have been STANDARD OF PRESCHOOL EDUCATION IN GEELONG rather than OZ.

Did you never wonder why Australia has a need for skilled migrants?

The word "agenda" seems to be en vogue with you lately. Somone expresses an opinion and your pre-conceived notion of the poster leads you to thinking that they have an "agenda". If they agreed with you, would they also have an "agenda"? or would you welcome their views, as apposed to dismissing them as somehow of no consequence due to an "agenda"?

what's your agenda for posting this then?

Just observing, after living with kids for many decades, that some are a bit creative when it suits them.

Especially after listening to teachers' stories of what actually happened and then hearing the the kids' version as told to the parents.

So I'd be a bit sceptical. However, if it were true I'd be worried. Unless the 11 year old was in special education for intellectually disabled.

well he was Australian:biglaugh:

I have given up having any kind of 'discussion' about this sort of thing now. My 14 and 9 year old and doing very well in school here in Perth. I have nieces and nephews in the UK who are doing well too but no better than my kids here. I think the thread title really should have been STANDARD OF PRESCHOOL EDUCATION IN GEELONG rather than OZ.

er no, it is based on an article referring to a government funded study into preschool education.

Yes. My conclusion was that it needs to grow at a faster pace than the current population allows for. Why did the UK look for migrants post war..............because it's education system was crap? Why does any country have a need for migrants? Primarily to create a consumer base and expand it.

Simply to show that a moderator should not dismiss other member's opinions by using words likely to be dismissive of those opinions, simply because those opinions are not in keeping with said moderator.

it's hard isn't it? trying to untangle genuine reponses from those skewed by a hidden agenda.

sometimes though you can guess what someone is going to say by having read their previous posts.

my views on this thread are based on my personal experience of my son's preschool 'education', and they seem to be backed up by the article in the OP.

sorry if that offends you

I don't think I ever told my parents what homework I had - I didn't want them keeping me in when I got back from school to do it, I wanted to go out playing with my mates

1. Because the natural birth rate hasn't provided a sufficient number of workers for the developments available.

2. Because the shortsighted politicians in this country haven't provided sufficient training places for skilled occupations in the last few decades.

3. Because many of the vacancies in skilled occupations are in areas of Australia which are not popular for living - especially for people with families.

Archived