Dunno where I am going with this one...... but.....

whichway

Hiya folks. As lots of you will know I am moving back to the UK in 7 weeks and I couldn't be more happy:biggrin: I watched a doco on tellie last night featuring some of my haunts in Scotland and I was just SO glad I am going home.

However, it took me along time to settle here and at first I kind of liked the anonymity. Now, I like (and it's one of the few things I like about living here) that I haven't made any huge errors publicly here and even when I have (drunkenness) no one knows me or remembers me. The thing is, I would like to view my return as a brand new start. Of course I am going to my home town cos that's where my family is, but I am not the same person I was when I left. When I left I was 24 and although generally a quiet person I'm a typical Scot and had many mornings of dry horrors and embarrassment to head up town on a Sunday morning. I never got in any fights or anything like that but may have behaved in a manner to be less proud of at times:embarrassed:

But this was not really how I intended this thread to pan out. In all honesty, the last time I was home (not that long ago) I was on anti deps and to be quite brutal was in the midst of a nervous breakdown and hence I was behavingvery erratically!!! I don't really know where this is going.....but I know that I want to be a newer, better, version of me.... I am not the same....what if people think I am the same?

I can equate it to ....having a manic episode and then having to recover.....

Guest smileykylie

This is something that is really difficult about returning to somewhere. I moved back to Australia having lived in the UK for 7 years. I too loved the anonymity and the opportunity to be who I wanted. BUT when I moved home my family in particular found it difficult to realise I was not the same person. They were not either but as they had changed together it was kind of different. I had to keep reminding them I was not on one big holiday and did know how to look after myself!!!!

I don't think this is something you can necessarily control - you can only be yourself and be clear about who you are now and hope that others see it too, but be sensitive to the fact that they have not seen this change or 'know' you the same now so be gentle as it is easy feel frustrated. I also found it difficult not to just fall back into old roles and routines.

All the best with your move.

You can't escape your past. All you can do is come to terms with it and learn from it. If only others would forget the pasts of other people and view them in the here and now, things would be easier for many.

I was glad to bale out of the UK. A 2nd marriage which everyone resented because everyone doted on my first missus. They never saw her manic episodes and only ever saw her on a high (bi-polar). They could never accept the "new face in town" who stole her hubby. they forget (conveniently) that she walked out on me and left me with 3 kids saying, "I wan't born to raise children"

I went back a couple of years ago and everyone was all over me..............it took 15yrs of my absence for them to see my first wife for what she was and to appreciate how wonderful my 2nd is.

good luck chook. It's you and what's in your heart that matters, not how others remember, or view you.

Hiya folks. As lots of you will know I am moving back to the UK in 7 weeks and I couldn't be more happy:biggrin: I watched a doco on tellie last night featuring some of my haunts in Scotland and I was just SO glad I am going home.

However, it took me along time to settle here and at first I kind of liked the anonymity. Now, I like (and it's one of the few things I like about living here) that I haven't made any huge errors publicly here and even when I have (drunkenness) no one knows me or remembers me. The thing is, I would like to view my return as a brand new start. Of course I am going to my home town cos that's where my family is, but I am not the same person I was when I left. When I left I was 24 and although generally a quiet person I'm a typical Scot and had many mornings of dry horrors and embarrassment to head up town on a Sunday morning. I never got in any fights or anything like that but may have behaved in a manner to be less proud of at times:embarrassed:

But this was not really how I intended this thread to pan out. In all honesty, the last time I was home (not that long ago) I was on anti deps and to be quite brutal was in the midst of a nervous breakdown and hence I was behavingvery erratically!!! I don't really know where this is going.....but I know that I want to be a newer, better, version of me.... I am not the same....what if people think I am the same?

I can equate it to ....having a manic episode and then having to recover.....

Just be yourself, only make the changes you want not what anyone else wants or expects.

Also if you have had a depressive episode they tend to recur so just notice the little things, like loss of interest, tired, can't be bothered, don't want to go out etc etc and seek help straight away. My psychologist told me know the triggers, and just recently I had them and had to up my meds.

Guest lottie

Whichway I am so excited for you, 7 weeks and counting hey how lucky you are.

Don't be worrying what others may or may not think about you, be kind to yourself, don't beat yourself up over any past mistakes, we have all made them you know and I am sure that local gossips will have moved on by now & if they haven't then hey how sad are they!

Good luck with the move, keep us posted.

My Granma used to say 'wherever you go, there you are!' ..... and it's true, you could run to the end of the earth but you can never escape yourself. Rather than trying to reinvent yourself in a different country, just accept yourself and learn by past errors.. wherever you may be!

Best of luck with everything!

Guest anitaw

Good for you.....be who you are, be proud of who you are, if you are a changed person then only you will know if it's for the better. I wish you all the luck in the world and when I miss Caledonia I stick on Runrig at full blast. :happy_face_mummy_go

Runrig! Jeez that's something I haven't heard in a very long time. I will see what I can download, now I am interested. Cheers all. I must admit I expected this thread might seem a little wishy washy but glad to know others know what I am talking about. Thanks for all your advice, I'll definitely take it on board. x

Guest anitaw
Runrig! Jeez that's something I haven't heard in a very long time. I will see what I can download, now I am interested. Cheers all. I must admit I expected this thread might seem a little wishy washy but glad to know others know what I am talking about. Thanks for all your advice, I'll definitely take it on board. x

Runrig at Edinburgh castle Whichway........The Best.....let us know if you enjoy it and remember the music has to be LOUD.......like the future.:hug:

Runrig at Edinburgh castle Whichway........The Best.....let us know if you enjoy it and remember the music has to be LOUD.......like the future.:hug:

Nah! :no: Year of the Flood DVD..................all those mad haggisbashers dancing around in the mud can't help but put a smile on your visog

Archived