Some Questions, coming to Canberra in June :-)))

Guest PaulineG1982

Guest PaulineG1982

Hi there,

Hubbie and I are coming down to start our new life in June, we are aware that it is the winter come June, what is the weather like this time of year?? should we bring warm clothes??... Also what would the rental market be like this time of year??.

We were thinking, through research, that we would probably like to rent, initially, in the Kingston, Manuka, Barton, Griffith area first as they are quite central and we would have to use the public transport initially and get our bearings. Are these areas okay? and what ones would you avoid (if any). We know that it can be quite expensive to rent in these areas, let alone rent in Canberra but we have budgetted for this and would feel better being more central and getting to know the area first before we made a final decision on were to stay (long term).

Also can anyone recommend any short term accommodation to book for, say 3 weeks to a month when we get here, how long would we be expected to wait to get a rental? We dont fancy paying for a hotel to stay in for a month and we would rather cook for ourselves etc than constantly pay to eat out every day blah blah.

Sorry for all the questions, its becoming more real now!!

Cant wait to get down there and get stuck in :wubclub:

Thanks Pauline x:cute:

Yes, you will definitely need warm clothes. Bring your British winter stuff and a decent winter coat! It gets very cold here in winter and you tend to feel it as the houses aren't insulated as well as the UK. Canberra is very cold in winter, very hot in summer and very pleasant in Spring and Autumn. At least, that's how I find it, but my ideal temperature is the low 20s lol.

All those areas are OK. Most of Canberra is OK actually. It is more expensive in Kingston, Manuka, Barton, Griffith areas, but like you said they're more central and if you've budgeted for it then all good.

I can't recommend short term accommodation myself as I got to stay at my in laws for 3 months when I arrived. I wouldn't have thought June would be too bad for getting a rental though, it's worse around this time of year. Maybe give yourself 4 weeks so you have time to look around and decide where you want to live etc?

Good luck!

As already mentioned those areas are all OK, Kingston is probably the more lively but all are central enough to allow you to get about easily. As for how long to gain a long term rental that sadly really is how long is a piece of string, it really depends on what you are after and whether that place is available when you start to look, personally we hit Canberra on a Thursday afternoon, went viewing properties on the Saturday, secured the rental on the Monday and were all moved in the following Saturday (late September time), but I know people who have taken weeks to locate what they want.

As for the weather we have as yet not experienced the winter although it was chilly when we arrived as this has been a very cold start to summer apparently, but we have friends who have been out here for over a two years and they all say the same, winter = cold just like it does back in the UK, and again as mentioned above the houses are very badly insulated so you will feel it more so than you probably would have in the UK, but that said it is generally dry and sunny also and lets be honest with skiing only a couple of hours down the road who's complaining :)

Winter is cold. The house we are renting has inadequate heating and when it is -8c outside and your house doesn't have double glazing or insulation you feel it. Walking around on bare wooden floors wasn't much fun either. Both my partner and youngest went down with bronchitis - it really was worrying. That said, even on the coldest nights the daytime temprature nearly always got close to 20c. Not to worry you :o)

Also, there are suburbs more central that are cheaper: Dickson, O'Connor, Ainslie, Turner etc where you would actually be in the centre and wouldn't need to use the bus.

Winter is cold. The house we are renting has inadequate heating and when it is -8c outside and your house doesn't have double glazing or insulation you feel it. Walking around on bare wooden floors wasn't much fun either. Both my partner and youngest went down with bronchitis - it really was worrying. That said, even on the coldest nights the daytime temprature nearly always got close to 20c. Not to worry you :o)

Also, there are suburbs more central that are cheaper: Dickson, O'Connor, Ainslie, Turner etc where you would actually be in the centre and wouldn't need to use the bus.

Canberra didnt come close to 20C during the day this winter!!! It was lucky to hit 10 most days IIRC! However the range of 20C isnt unusual and this past winter there werent as many frost days as there usually are - you used to get weeks of negative nights on the trot but there was more variation last winter.

However, I agree, the houses arent built for the minus 8s - nor, the 30C+ of the summer. Winters are colder than you think they will be and somehow the cold goes right through you especially when the wind whips up from the South Pole.

Rentals in June are going to be easier to come by than in December to be sure. Where you live is probably going to be more dependent on where you work. I suggest that you will find you will need a car almost straight away - even living centrally, to be dependent on public transport is a royal pain (and Kingston/Manuka arent really central as they arent near a bus interchange but rely on the suburban services passing through - try Reid/Turner/Braddon if you want 'Central').

There are some lovely apartments in the Kingston/Manuka/Barton area and it is more of a chic scene than some of the other suburbs. If you want a garden then not the right area to be looking at. If you can afford a serviced apartment in somewhere like Quest, Medina, Mantra, James Court or the Waldorf, that would be good and central!

Does the poor insulation extend to the newer apartment buildings....is it just the standard over here, or only for older properties?

We were thinking that arriving at end Jan, we could get a central apartment for the first 6 months over winter while there's a lot of settling in to be done, then look for a house further out next August/September when the choice is better.

Guest journeydownunder

I'm a big fan of inner south (Kingston, Manuka, Barton etc) we live in Kingston and we love it. Our apartment is new and has the full ducted heating/ cooling thingy so we can always make our home comfortable. We arrived in the middle of winter and whilst it's colder than you expect (being Australia) I personally didn't find it that bad. I think I wore my coat to work three times all winter. It is NOTHING like winter back home. No foot of snow no constant rain every day and certainly no -20 degrees! Compared to the UK it is positively mild!

Whilst I think ultimately in Canberra you will want a car, it is perfectly possible to live in Kingston and not have a car. My other half gets the bus in to civic and back for work every day. We do have a car between us for food shopping etc but I have a friend who lives in Kingston and has easily managed without a car for her first six months so I really wouldn't worry too much.

Re short term accommodation I would recommend canberrafurnished.com.au. Lots of choice of property at ok prices compared to what else is on offer and they provide you with everything. We stayed for 8 weeks at one of their apartments in Braddon which again had heating/ air con and it made the move so much more comfortable and stress free.

Emigrating is tough but in my opinion if you research well and know what to expect, set reasonable expectations and put yourself out there when it comes to making friends, it can be a very positive experience. We have settled in really well and absolutely love living here. We have no intention of moving back to the UK - ever! You will hear positive and negative feedback but in my view if you are a positive person and are determined to work at making Canberra your home you can and will be successful! Good luck!

Archived