school fees

Guest stuckinblighty

Guest stuckinblighty

I'm unsure how the education system works as regards to fees.Do you have to pay a fee if you are a migrant or does it depend on what visa you enter the country on ??? or are the schools free like they are in the UK ??

Regards,Lee :roll:

Guest ABCDiamond
I'm unsure how the education system works as regards to fees.Do you have to pay a fee if you are a migrant or does it depend on what visa you enter the country on ??? or are the schools free like they are in the UK ??

Regards,Lee :roll:

As a PR Visa holder, State Schools are basically free to all children.

Some costs are incurred as we buy stationery for our children each year. This can vary between $50 and $150 per year

We may also be asked for voluntary contributions, most people do pay, maybe $100 per year ?

Private schools for PR may cost from $1,000 per year to $25,000 per year.

Temp Visa holders are different, depending on what State you go to.

eg:

NSW - Most students who hold a Temporary Resident Visa must pay a Temporary Visa Holders Education Fee and Administration Fee for enrolment in a NSW Government School. 2005 Annual Fees were: Primary school Years K-6 $4,500, Junior high school Years 7–10 $4,500, Senior high school Years 11–12 $5,500

QLD - In QLD people on temporary resident visas (and their dependant family members) generally pay the same fees as Australian students for government-funded schooling. (see PR visa above)

Guest stuckinblighty

Thanks Diamond for the info,at least thats one less expense to worry about.

Regards,Lee

• 1 year later...
Guest leanneandmark

SA IS PRETTY NUCH THE SAME, YOU DON'T PAY ANY DIFFERENT BEING A TEMPORARY RESIDENT, PERMANENT, OR A CITIZEN.

There are a lot go to SA on temp visa cos its all classed as regional. ....Luckily

I have looked into schooling fees in SA, and as a TEMP student visa holder you have to pay for your children to go to school. It doesn't mention dependent students on their web site it only mentions international students, If you email them they will reply with info., however I have been quoted upto y7 $3500 and y8+ $4500 + admin fees at state schools.

And I have been told PR just pay for extras, schooling should be free.

I have looked into schooling fees in SA, and as a TEMP student visa holder you have to pay for your children to go to school. It doesn't mention dependent students on their web site it only mentions international students, If you email them they will reply with info., however I have been quoted upto y7 $3500 and y8+ $4500 + admin fees at state schools.

Gosh that's cheap - ACT are double that for the children of international students. I think the fees start at $9.5K

Guest leanneandmark

Hi , International students pay in South Australia, ...NOT children of those with temporary residence visas.

Go to PomsinAdelaide there are afew folks on SIR visas (3yr temp, can apply for perm after 2yrs of living, providing you have worked for 12months) either already there or on the way, and the general rule is you pay the same as everyone else.

So if your heading to SA you haven't got that cost to worry about.

That isn't the info I have been sent from the education in SA. take a look at my previous posts I was advised to email the education from one of these. I could send you the email I have received

(when I figure out how to do it.)

Ginell

Guest Melbourne 1

We're heading to Melbourne and my sister has checked with their local primary school regarding my dd - it's going to cost us 6000 AUD per year while we're on a temporary visa (which will be for the first two years) and once we get our permanent visas it won't cost us anything.

That is of course when we finally get our visas !!!!:cute:

Guest wendy and neil

can anyone help? We were moving on a student Visa but have since been told we have to pay full fees for the kids who are 15 and 10. The fees we have been quoted have been arond $25000 per year for the nongoveremnt schools. Has anyone moved on student visa with kids and found cheaper schooling? We dont mind were we end up as long it is :spinny:not ere!!!!

Guest billy braveheart

we also live in WA and our kids fee is only $270 per year he goes to state senior high school(were on a 457)

I dont know much about school fees here in oz but i can tell you that i am on a temp spouse visa (pr hopefully this year & hubby is a aussie citizen) my daughter is 14 at the local high school and we are in NSW - we do not pay any fees (only the voluntary contribution of approx $80 per year)

gizmo

Guest ginell

there are different prices for each state, look on their web sites. We are hoping to go on a student visa too. which state are you hoping to go to?

Guest ginell

if you are on a student visa you are classed as a visitor, therefore I beleive and ahve been told you pay fees for your dependents to go to school. look for state goverment schools they are classed as private, but are cheaper than say catholic schools.

Guest leanneandmark
That isn't the info I have been sent from the education in SA. take a look at my previous posts I was advised to email the education from one of these. I could send you the email I have received

(when I figure out how to do it.)

Ginell

On a student visa, you may pay fees, other temp visa such as the SIR pay the same as everyone else.

Leanne

On a student visa, you may pay fees, other temp visa such as the SIR pay the same as everyone else.

Leanne

Temporary visa holders pay international fees in NSW and ACT but not in other states. You can appeal and hope that someone got out of bed on the right side and waives the fees but their policies both state that temp visa holders pay. They used to work on the premise that if the visa holder paid Aussie income tax then they would let you off the fees but if the Ed depts are a bit strapped for cash then they will charge. Qld only states that the fees for children in mainstream education are exempt from fees but they dont state (as far as I can see) what happens if the child has special needs - whether they add on the special ed component and expect the parent to pay I have no idea.

Dependent children on international student visa holders pay international student fees across the board.

Guest wendy and neil

Hi

We are hoping to go to Perth and just found out the school fees are $5000 for primary and $5800 for secondary for government schools. In SA it is cheaper again but I dont know the price but have been told this by a immigration officer. Hope this helps someone!!

:wubclub:

We spoke to different australian advisors at the Manchester emigraton exhibition who clarified that we would be exempt from any school fees in Queensland despite entering on a temporary 163 business visa. I think as Quoll states, if we are paying taxes then we are entitled to free education? Hope this helps?

Guest wendy and neil

Hi

We have to pay school fees because we are going on a student visa. Sorry about any confusion!!

:wubclub:

Guest leanneandmark
Temporary visa holders pay international fees in NSW and ACT but not in other states. You can appeal and hope that someone got out of bed on the right side and waives the fees but their policies both state that temp visa holders pay. They used to work on the premise that if the visa holder paid Aussie income tax then they would let you off the fees but if the Ed depts are a bit strapped for cash then they will charge. Qld only states that the fees for children in mainstream education are exempt from fees but they dont state (as far as I can see) what happens if the child has special needs - whether they add on the special ed component and expect the parent to pay I have no idea.

Dependent children on international student visa holders pay international student fees across the board.

Good job, we are going to SA then !!LOL

Archived