S & N Civils open day

WeegieDave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah if it wasnt for that wee guy things would be a lot worse lol. yeah think he was, he had a blue hoody on and i had a pink one. we werent sure what to expect when we went, thought it would just be a info day, didnt mention anything about interviews on the ad but brought all his paperwork etc anyway. Definitely think i saw you cos i remember your avatar pic from ages ago and on the day thought i recognised you but obviously didnt know you were there! if that makes sense lol hopefully we'll all hear from the guy once hes back in australia

yeah if it wasnt for that wee guy things would be a lot worse lol. yeah think he was, he had a blue hoody on and i had a pink one. we werent sure what to expect when we went, thought it would just be a info day, didnt mention anything about interviews on the ad but brought all his paperwork etc anyway. Definitely think i saw you cos i remember your avatar pic from ages ago and on the day thought i recognised you but obviously didnt know you were there! if that makes sense lol hopefully we'll all hear from the guy once hes back in australia

Yeh, Hopefully. He told me he is looking to take on 250 people. Engineers, managers, plant op's etc. I had a decent wee chat with him. He seemed decent enough on first impressions. I can imagine from the various open day he done (Think he did the same in london and manchester) he will have hundereds of CV's. Might be worth while being a bit persistent towards him. Being a pain on the arse can pay off!! :)

i'm good at being a pain in the arse lol. daves going to ring him a wee while after hes back, we'll give him a while to respond to emails and then if we havent heard from him then ring, dave can pay the phone bill tho haha. Hope your lucky too, im sure you will be especially since your young single and have your visa! 250 is a lot but then again thats from all over the uk? did he mention anything about helping out with relocation costs. although really we'd be grateful if they could only just do the paperwork and we'd pay everything else! just looking for a way in really

i'm good at being a pain in the arse lol. daves going to ring him a wee while after hes back, we'll give him a while to respond to emails and then if we havent heard from him then ring, dave can pay the phone bill tho haha. Hope your lucky too, im sure you will be especially since your young single and have your visa! 250 is a lot but then again thats from all over the uk? did he mention anything about helping out with relocation costs. although really we'd be grateful if they could only just do the paperwork and we'd pay everything else! just looking for a way in really

I didnt ask him about relocatio costs and he didnt mention it. His main aim seemed to be to get peoples job title, experience, where they preferred to work in Oz and family situation. He said he would hopefully be back over at the end of Feb / beginning of march to do interviews for whom he is interested in.

Hi Guy's if you need his email address let me know I kept his card. You probably did speak to me Dave I vaguely remeber speaking to someone about how disorganised the event was. He did mention there would be assistance with relocation costs but didnt go int detail.

Cheers, we've got his card too and already emailed him. Not too bothered about relocation costs, obviously its a huge bonus but if we had enough time to save a bit more then we'd probably be okay to go ourselfs. Just looking for someone to be able to sponsor. When do you think they'll want the 250 people over in oz?

I assume the 250 people will be all trades incl staff cant see them recruiting all 250 from the UK, assuming they pay relocation costs say average 2 people (flights and visa costs) @ £5k this will mean it would cost them circa £125K ($185AUD). Say they make 10% margin on each project they would need projects totalling $185m to break even. Scary figures but maybe it works for them.

Yeah i was thinking that too, cant see them paying relocation costs for everyone so maybe they just sort out the paperside of things. or maybe it depends on your circumstances - there will be people with lots of savings or houses to sell etc. I really dont know! but as long as they can sponsor us if dave is invited for a interview then thats all im really caring about

Sorry, He didnt mention it. I can imagine that if he does come back to do the interviews at the end of feb or beginning of march like he said then by the time the successful candidates have their visa's processed it would be a couple of months after. So perhaps around June?

I assume the 250 people will be all trades incl staff cant see them recruiting all 250 from the UK, assuming they pay relocation costs say average 2 people (flights and visa costs) @ £5k this will mean it would cost them circa £125K ($185AUD). Say they make 10% margin on each project they would need projects totalling $185m to break even. Scary figures but maybe it works for them.

Not sure of your figures mate, 10% of $185m is $18.5m, ie 100x the $185K figure - but at 250x£5K that figure should have been £1.25m. Still 10x that figure. However, relocations cost a fair bit more than that, depends on the package of course but to bring over a senior staff person you'd be lucky to get much change out of $30K after paying for visa, flights, shipping, temporary accommodation (would be normal for staff) plus on-costs associated with administering all of that. Not sure what sort of package they'd give tradies but let's say $15K a head is the minimum for relocations. So bringing over 250 people is going to cost roughly $3.75m.

Margins are healthier here and a gross margin of about 10% would be about right for a concreting subbie. Of that I'd expect them to make an operating profit of about 5 or 6%. Can't find much financial information (it's privately owned so there's not much in the public domain) but the best I can find is their annual turnover is in the $50m sort of range

Talk of them hiring 250 seems unlikely/optimistic as that would be a lot of people for a company of that size, but it's possible I guess if they've picked up 2 or 3 big jobs, and/or are expanding into a new geographical area. But look at that figure I thumbed in up there - $3.75m would represent pretty much their entire operating profit for a year. Doesn't sound very likely, does it?

Hope I've not baffled you with bull****, just tried to cast a bit of perspective. Keep on looking as there are plenty of jobs out there especially in WA, we are really struggling to man our jobs over that way (I work for a large construction co.).

most of those figures made my head :goofy: but i know what you mean,  a bit of a relocation package would be great but since excavator operator seems to be on the lower end of the job scale i wouldnt be expecting much off them, to be honest if they could just sponsor and do the paperwork of our visa then i would be more than grateful

Archived