Shipping a few boxes back to UK - best company to use?

Guest RuthRescued

Guest RuthRescued

Hi all

I'm heading home for a while and need to ship a few boxes.

Most of the info I can find is around whole house moves and talking in terms of containers. I just need to send a few boxes - any ideas on the best people to use?

Thanks!

Ruth

We've just shipped 3 boxes back with Grace and so far so good but not all that cheap - probably because we didnt need terribly much sent over. They arent expecting them to arrive until end Feb (left beginning November) because they are a small lot and have to be squeezed in with other small lots. There wasnt much difference between the amount quoted for 3 boxes and 6 boxes and they did want to do the packing (they were efficient, DH had calculated 4 boxes worth at least)

I recently relocated and had 3 large suitcases of stuff (personal items such as clothes, books, ornaments, electronic goods) each weighing 25kg (75kg in total) that I needed to ship to Aus.

Got various quotes from shipping agents etc but ended up sending it as unacompanied baggage with an airline (I used Singapore Airlines), which cost less than half the price I'd been quoted by the shipping agents and was much faster (shipping agents were going to send it via boat!).

Note: this is not a door to door service. You have to drop the items yourself at the airport cargo terminal, fill in the relvant forms, customs forms etc etc. Took me 2.5 hours at the cargo terminal to get them 'sent'. When they arrive the other side, again you have to go to the airport cargo terminal, customs etc to fill in forms and retreve them. When my stuff arrived (in Aus) it took me 2 hours to get them out.

If you live close to the airport on both sides and can spare the time to deal with the import / export and customs forms yourself, sending as unaccompanied baggage is likely to save you some cash.

PS - if you go for this option, keep an inventory of the items in each box as you'll need it for customs purposes.

Archived