swapping the uk driving license

gsaps

We're going to try and get our uk driving licenses swapped for OZ ones and was wondering if anyone has managed this whilst in temporary accommodation.

Basically we have a months temporary accommodation before we look for a permanent rental, I assume we have to prove address, difficult for a temporary accommodation!

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Grant

gsaps,

In NSW I understand that as visitors to Australia my wife and I have to wait until we have been in the country continuously for 6 months before we can apply for an Australian licence. Apparently these will be issued without any formality on payment of the appropriate fee because we both have clean licences.

Trust that this helps,

Tony

Guest VickyMel

VIC - I got mine while in Temp accommodation and then moved a couple of weeks later and got the address changed no problem.

My licence was "free" to exchange (and you do not hand in your old licence you just get a local licence as well) - but I had to pay for the licence itself.

My car insurance was also cheaper as I was driving with a local licence rather than foreign UK licence

If on a PR visa you have 12 weeks to change your licence to an Aussie one.

If on a visa classed as 'temp' you dont officially have to change it to an Aussie one at all BUT if your planning on staying longer than a few months it is worth doing as your licence is used LOTS for ID and the aussie do like you prooving ID for many many things.

Cal x

If on a PR visa you have 12 weeks to change your licence to an Aussie one.

If on a visa classed as 'temp' you dont officially have to change it to an Aussie one at all BUT if your planning on staying longer than a few months it is worth doing as your licence is used LOTS for ID and the aussie do like you prooving ID for many many things.

Cal x

The rules vary from state to state - you should check how they are applied in the state where you are intending to reside.

Guest Finchy84

Dont bother swapping unless you have to, I have my own car and on a 457 Visa, been here for 5 years and I cant get the demerit points (still have to pay the fines) however its handy as I would have 11 now.

Not suggesting you should speed, but I dont see the point in getting a license when I dont need it.

I am in NSW currently.

Dont bother swapping unless you have to, I have my own car and on a 457 Visa, been here for 5 years and I cant get the demerit points (still have to pay the fines) however its handy as I would have 11 now.

Not suggesting you should speed, but I dont see the point in getting a license when I dont need it.

I am in NSW currently.

thats a very interesting point, i was under the impression that having a drivers license made getting various other things easier like car finance, mobile contracts etc, is this not correct?

I am in NSW currently.

My sister-in-law does the same....if she had a NSW licence she'd probably be banned now (not that she's a particularly fast driver, just quite a rubbish one and doesn't see speed cameras....)

Not sure if it makes getting things easier or not. For mobile phones we just went pre-paid anyway, the deals are pretty good & no contract required. For any credit agreement (regardless of whether or not people are prepared to offer you credit) you'll be wanting a permanent address anyway, so still no point transferring your licence when you're still in temporary accommodation