457 - does last year's accounts HAVE to show a profit?

chris2011

Asking on behalf of a close friend who is looking into applying for a 457.

He has a fantastic little business highly relevant to the mining industry but last year's accounts show a loss (previous two show a profit).

Will this scupper his chances of his business getting a 457?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I was sponsored by a new business, which didn't even have a financial report for the last year because it had just opened. I'll be applying for an 856 permanent sponsored visa, and I have it on quite good authority that a loss is fine. I researched this because my company made a loss last financial year (just a small business). I'm not absolutely 100% though.

I think whats more imporatnt to immigration is requirements to spend a certain amount on training for australian employees if the company is sponsoring workers from overseas. I'm not an immigration guru but i hope this has been some help!

Asking on behalf of a close friend who is looking into applying for a 457.

He has a fantastic little business highly relevant to the mining industry but last year's accounts show a loss (previous two show a profit).

Will this scupper his chances of his business getting a 457?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

The simple answer is no, a loss on the P&L does not in itself preclude being approved as a 457 sponsor, however it is not that simple. Even a profit in the P&L does not guarantee success.

Many factors are looked at on the financial side to determine things such as, is the business viable, is it in a financial position to meet it’s obligations as a sponsor, etc.

The simple answer is no, a loss on the P&L does not in itself preclude being approved as a 457 sponsor, however it is not that simple. Even a profit in the P&L does not guarantee success.

Many factors are looked at on the financial side to determine things such as, is the business viable, is it in a financial position to meet it’s obligations as a sponsor, etc.

Thanks ABA for the reply. From what I can gather my friend's company meets all the criteria and some.

The only sticking point was last year's loss although this was as a direct result of a year of r&d to adapt systems to the Australian mining industry.

Archived