Tasmania has the 2nd best job market.

Guest Guest 47403

• 5 weeks later...

I like Tazmania but it strikes me as the type of place where you can't be unemployed for too long, and if you are, you have to start thinking about moving to the mainland. If that is the case, then this is why unemployment is low - most of the unemployed probably fled to western Australia.

• 1 month later...

Hi Baz,

I've just stumbed on an article which says Tassie is the worst place to look for a job:

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/01/15/292601_most-popular-stories.html

I suppose that's the media for you.

Personally, I'm fully aware that when I decide to get another job I'll have to head to the mainland if I don't want a change of career.

I suppose that's the media for you.

The figures came from an analysis of an analysis. It doesn't say which job vacancy stats they used.

As far as I am aware all the recent PIO arrivals here haven't had much trouble getting a job.

From a personal point of view, I had no trouble at all finding a job when I arrived from the UK. It only took me a few days to get something lined-up. Saying that, I was prepared to search for a job in any state and I wasn't looking specifically for work here. Tasmania was just a lucky accident for me.

In reality, there are very few jobs for Mechanical Engineers here in Tasmania and those that I have seen advertised have been about half the wage of the mainland cities. If/when I decide to move on from my current job, I'll have to go to the mainland, I understand this.

Mrs runslikeafish (medical) has been approached by a couple of companies offering her a job and she's already employed.

You'll just have to clone her!:wink: Think of the income she (they) would bring in.

Loved your blog entry 'Eddies in the space time continuum' IIRC - the evening you celebrated getting a job.

Archived