When does the skilled occupation list get updated?

Dono

Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to confirm whether the skilled occupation list is updated only annually?

From what I can see it's updated each year on 1 July.

I am aware that the various state migration plans are updated at other times - I just want to ensure that I'm not at risk that I won't be able to apply early next year because of SOL changes.

My occupation, accountant, is currently "flagged". What's the likelihood it will be removed next year? I've done some reading and I see it's on various state migration plan lists... but this is a little worrying! I'm waiting for January to apply so that I can get a state sponsored visa (with faster processing times).

Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to confirm whether the skilled occupation list is updated only annually?

From what I can see it's updated each year on 1 July.

I am aware that the various state migration plans are updated at other times - I just want to ensure that I'm not at risk that I won't be able to apply early next year because of SOL changes.

My occupation, accountant, is currently "flagged". What's the likelihood it will be removed next year? I've done some reading and I see it's on various state migration plan lists... but this is a little worrying! I'm waiting for January to apply so that I can get a state sponsored visa (with faster processing times).

Going by past events it has been annually but who knows when they could revise it again ?

Whay are you waiting for January ? If you are on the SMPs then go get your skills assessed (which could take until January) then your state sponsorship now and get that visa app in !:wink:

I made the decision to wait until January because that is when I meet all the requirements for NSW state sponsorship (min 3 years work experience). So I can lodge a 175 now, but those take a much longer time to process - it will be better to submit a 176 with state sponsorship in January - then I should be processed by July 2012 :) I was just wondering if they update any other time except annually. It doesn't seem like it?

I made the decision to wait until January because that is when I meet all the requirements for NSW state sponsorship (min 3 years work experience). So I can lodge a 175 now, but those take a much longer time to process - it will be better to submit a 176 with state sponsorship in January - then I should be processed by July 2012 :) I was just wondering if they update any other time except annually. It doesn't seem like it?

Is the 175 really that risky? Aren't some 175 applications being processed within 18 months, while some 176's are processed in 12 - so I guess it may be a dumb question, but what's a 6 months difference if you have to wait several months to get the state sponsorship? Say you wait until January just to apply - that's already a two month loss, then for them to get back to you may take a good 3 months - so that's five months total you're losing. I don't know - that's just my perspective.

From what I hear - NSW gets back to you within 3/4 weeks (as per their web site). Then based on the latest DIAC figures, it'll be about 3 to 4 months before we get a CO - versus 9 to 12 months on a 175. So even with the extra wait... it still makes sense.

From what I hear - NSW gets back to you within 3/4 weeks (as per their web site). Then based on the latest DIAC figures, it'll be about 3 to 4 months before we get a CO - versus 9 to 12 months on a 175. So even with the extra wait... it still makes sense.

I'm in the same boat - I'm wondering if I should go straight for the 175 (now that my occupation is on the flagged list and today I have all of my supporting documents), or if I should wait for Victoria SS. I applied just two weeks ago, and don't expect to hear back until late January. This flagging has really got me worried now. What do you think? Victoria is also known for rejecting people left and right, so I'm not sure if waiting would be wise at this point...

I honestly don't know. If they remove Accountant from the list then I can nominate to have a skills assessment done as an external auditor (that is actually my profession) which is neither flagged nor at risk of being removed from what I can tell. It just means another outlay of cash and another delay.

Either way - they may only remove it after 1 July 2012 - ie, when the new EOI system comes into effect. I doubt very much that they will remove accountant from the SOL. I'm going to rather wait until I have SS and then apply.

The problem with applying for a 175 is that IF they do remove your skill from the SOL, then you get bumped down to a category 5 applicant... which seems to be the dumping ground for "applications that will never be processed in the next million years". I'm trying to avoid that happening by going the state sponsored route as the visas are granted much more quickly.

I honestly don't know. If they remove Accountant from the list then I can nominate to have a skills assessment done as an external auditor (that is actually my profession) which is neither flagged nor at risk of being removed from what I can tell. It just means another outlay of cash and another delay.

Either way - they may only remove it after 1 July 2012 - ie, when the new EOI system comes into effect. I doubt very much that they will remove accountant from the SOL. I'm going to rather wait until I have SS and then apply.

The problem with applying for a 175 is that IF they do remove your skill from the SOL, then you get bumped down to a category 5 applicant... which seems to be the dumping ground for "applications that will never be processed in the next million years". I'm trying to avoid that happening by going the state sponsored route as the visas are granted much more quickly.

If you research historical SOLs you will find that accountants (and others) have been on and off in demand (MODL) and not in demand.

Guest VickyMel

Have you checked that it really is 3/4 weeks and whether they accept most applicants - might be worth doing there may be a thread with NSW folks somewhere on PIO who can tell you if it really is as it sounds.

I'm in the same boat - I'm wondering if I should go straight for the 175 (now that my occupation is on the flagged list and today I have all of my supporting documents), or if I should wait for Victoria SS. I applied just two weeks ago, and don't expect to hear back until late January. This flagging has really got me worried now. What do you think? Victoria is also known for rejecting people left and right, so I'm not sure if waiting would be wise at this point...

Good luck - VIC are known for rejecting some people - although I don't seem to have seen so much recently. The last I saw the statement of 10-12 weeks before you hear back was not taht accurate some occupations heard back quickly others took a while - but again that may have changed recently since the quotas came in?

Yep - an important point to consider.

I think you do still have the option of putting 2 applications in a 175 and a 176 if you had money to burn.

I do have the option to do that but I've thougth about it an it doesn't make much sense to do it that way. I do have money available to do that, but I'd prefer to avoid doing things that way. My options at this point are:

• Lodge a 175 now, and a 176 in January/February once state sponsorship is granted.
  • Lodge a 175 now and that is it
  • Wait until Jan/Feb and only lodge a 176 (this is the option I'm doing at the moment)
  • If state sponsorship is NOT granted in January, lodge a 175. If accountant is subsquently removed from the SOL, then have my skills assessed again as an external auditor and apply for a 175 to be in P4.
  • If all else fails, and accountant AND external auditor are for some reason BOTH removed and my application is de-prioritised - then go on a 457 until the 175/176 is granted. While on 457 then I'd consider going the employer nominated scheme route.

So it's not a lack of options, it's really just a case of choosing the best one. I'll post a thread asking for feedback regarding NSW SS though, thanks for the idea :)

Guest VickyMel

Hi Dono

I am not sure how user friendly NSW SS folks are (VIC aren't probably too many applying) but for example ACT SS folks are very friendly :hug: and if you sent an email asking your chances they would probably be very helpful and upfront about it.

No idea about NSW SS but they are a smaller group like ACT it might be worth contacting them direct and asking the likelihood of them being interested in you?

I've tried google but can't find any historical lists... can you maybe direct me?

Hopefully it stays on. Otherwise I have to pay ICAA a fortune again to be assessed as an external auditor.

No you don't.

By the sound of it you have already wasted more than enough money.

Archived