When to head for Canberra....

MamaPesa

Hi All,

First of all, on a forum about going to oz I fully expect everyone to just say 'go NOW' but I'm hoping for some thoughts either way as I really cannot decide what to do.

I have no visa issues (I'm Australian, husband Kiwi living in London) so am able to choose when to move back to Oz.

My decision is basically when to go back (VERY excited about going back at last :jiggy:). Originally, we were going to quit jobs in April and go camping in Scotland as a holiday before heading back to try living in Canberra. However, now the OH really doesn't like the thought of winter although I'm the one that feels the cold. We've also recently done a bit of a budgeting exercise and are not sure we can do any more than about 10 days in Scotland anyway.

Choice 1. Leave as we were going to, have a reduced holiday in Scotland and arrive in Canberra for approx MAY, just in time for another winter!

Choice 2. Leave in JAN (we've got a holiday booked over Xmas with my sister who also lives here so can't leave before then), straight into Canberra without having much of a break from work or much money so will need job quick smart but have a couple of summermonths.

I'm really stuck and cannot decide which to do - put up with winter here or have less money when we get there.

I'm also concerned about everyone saying Jan/Feb is really bad timing to arrive in Canberra. How bad is it really though - is it just that its harder to find rentals than other times of year or is it really impossible and we just shouldn't be entertaining the idea??

Thoughts would be gratefully receieved.... :unsure:

For me I'd come in the summer but that is because being a Brit I wanted to have decent weather as this would over come the low days when missing the UK and family/friends etc.

You don't say if your from Canberra originally as if not you may find the winter very cold!

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as it really is what fits best for you and unfortunately I can't answer what Jan etc is like having only been here five weeks but numerous people have said that the town pretty much shuts down in January.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.171658,149.106261

Not too fussed about the whole missing UK and friends as I have moved so much (although always between three continents) that I feel pretty OK with it all.

I'm from Adelaide, OH is from Auckland so Canberra is the middle ground without being in the 'big smoke' of Sydney or Melbourne. Been living in London on and off for the past ten years (four since I've been home already!) but I am a bit worried about the cold - but, on paper Canberra fits our lifestyle to a tee so we going to give it our best shot :em0100:

March or October I reckon. Yes the rental market is horrible from nov through to end Feb.

Getting jobs not so good until mid Feb either. Winter can be very cold and unpleasant more because the houses aren't built for it and the wind whips up from the Snowies. Mind you, summer isn't much chop either as it can get very hot and the houses aren't built for it!!!

So basically screwed either way lol nothing for it but buy a paddling pool for the summer and thermals for the winter :)

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.171666,149.106312

Yup, that would be about it!!! Me and Damart have this thing going on - especially after the last couple of winters! And in Summer I have a really close relationship with Dendy regardless of the cr*p they are showing!

Spring and Autumn are OK

Mind you, Mr Q doesnt feel the heat or the cold and cycles in shorts in all weathers. Must be something to do with a wonky thermostat (his or mine, not quite sure):biglaugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. We've decided to wait out the winter here and quit the jobs at the end of March (beginning of Easter school holidays so an easy break from workinig in a school office!). Just need to decide how long to hang around here or to do something on the way to Aus, then we can book our tickets....

March or October I reckon. Yes the rental market is horrible from nov through to end Feb.

Getting jobs not so good until mid Feb either. Winter can be very cold and unpleasant more because the houses aren't built for it and the wind whips up from the Snowies. Mind you, summer isn't much chop either as it can get very hot and the houses aren't built for it!!!

oh dear, after reading this, we start to get worry, as we are arriving on 7 February.

Knowing the rental market is going to be horrible till end of Feb. What should we do ?

:confused:

oh dear, after reading this, we start to get worry, as we are arriving on 7 February.

Knowing the rental market is going to be horrible till end of Feb. What should we do ?

:confused:

You will be in competition with newly arrived students so if you aim for more yuppie/family accommodation the situation should improve with time

http://the-riotact.com/how-to-succeed-in-renting-a-home-in-canberra/58530 should be essential reading for any Canberra incomer

Archived