How much deposit for a rental?

Goochie

I don't know if it varies between states but in QLD the maximum of all deposits (bond, key deposit, pet deposit etc) that legally can be charged is 4 weeks' rent, unless your weekly rent is greater than $700 then it's unlimited what can be asked - but rarely more than 4 weeks. As has been said, you may also be asked to pay rent upfront as well.

Where will you be going? (there is different legislation on renting for each state)

In WA, the maximum that owners/property managers can legally ask for is four weeks' rent, which is your bond; and two weeks' rent, which is the first fortnight's rent up front - ie. a total of six weeks' rent. If you have a pet or pets, an additional 'pet bond' of $260 (flat rate) can also be asked for.

However I am aware that there are people out there who 'require' (illegally, I might add!) more than the first fortnight's rent up front. Also as the market in Perth is so tight, it is legitimate for the prospective tenant to offer more than the first fortnight's rent, as well as more than the going rate (eg. if the rent is advertised at $380/week, they may offer $400/week). However the key in this situation is that it's an offer from the prospective tenant, which is okay. It's when it's 'required' by the owner/property manager that the legislation is being breached.

Hope this helps - PIO members will definitely be able to tell you more info if you let us know which state you're heading to!

Regards

Jen :)

Guest guest59652

depends on location. In South Australia generally a months rent. Not sure if it varies between states or real estate agents. There is a system where a government agency hold the rent until you leave the property. Pretty good as it protects you and you can guarantee you'll get ur money back if you look after a place. Make sure it is a government held bond as have seen private landlords bypass this and saw a friend lose $1,000 because of some dodginess.

Just make sure you take photos of any marks on carpets etc as they were really strict first place i rented.

In that case, you may wish to check out the WA Govt's Department of Commerce website - this is the government agency that regulates tenancy legislation. Here's the link:-

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection/Content/Property_renting/index.html

There is also a phone line you can call if you run into any issues during a tenancy and they can provide you with free advice.

Regards

Jen :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest robertnickelsamycameron

Hi just read through the feedback and appreciate the information thats about but i have been told by a few people that have recently emigrated to Oz that you cannot rent for the first three months? is there any way around this as i would be moving out with my partner and 1 year old daughter and ideally we are not in a situation to not be able to rent for the first 3 months any input or information anyone could give me would be really appreciated! please message me.

I have been told by a few people that have recently emigrated to Oz that you cannot rent for the first three months?

That's completely false, at least in WA. Which state are you emigrating to?

What they may have meant is that you can't organise a rental property from overseas, and there's usually some time delay between arrival and actually being successful in renting a property long term. This is why people often use short term lets (which you can organise from England), or stay with family/friends etc. when they first arrive.

Guest robertnickelsamycameron
That's completely false, at least in WA. Which state are you emigrating to?

What they may have meant is that you can't organise a rental property from overseas, and there's usually some time delay between arrival and actually being successful in renting a property long term. This is why people often use short term lets (which you can organise from England), or stay with family/friends etc. when they first arrive.

How long is the shortest term you can rent a property for? and we are looking at either WA or the gold coast, thanks for clearing that up much appreciated!

Hi as Windswept has said whoever told you ,you can't rent for 3 months has their wires crossed somewhere. You will really struggle to rent unfurnished (with a lease for 6 to 12mths) UNTIL you are here on Aussie soil, this is because you have to inspect the house before you can sign the lease.

You can book temporary/short term / holiday / arrival accommodation before you leave the UK, sites like Stayz.com (or asking windswept the poster above, click their name to send a Private Message or the link in their signature) will help you with this. Most familys stay in accommodation like this for 3 or 4 weeks until you find an area and a rental house you like. When you do come to apply for a longer term rental you will need to provide plenty of info as you have no renting history in Australia so make sure you have copies of passports, Birth Certs, Driving Licence, Paid up mortgage statement, Healthy bank account statements, paid up uk utility bills etc etc,, the more you can throw at them the better..

Hope this helps a little

Cal x

Archived