Australian Beach Warnings - Rips

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

It's getting that time of year when everyone will be heading to the beach, for new arrivals please can I take this opportunity to provide the following warning.

RIPS

This has to be the main cause of drownings/rescues in Australia. A rip is a strong current which begins close to the shore and runs away from the beach. Rips can easily sweep you out to sea from really shallow water. To avoid being caught in a rip always swim between the flags and observe the safety signs.

[YOUTUBE]1OebiHik0aI[/YOUTUBE]

Common Signs of a rip are:

• Darker Water, indicating deeper water.

• Murky Brown water caused by sand stirred up in faster water.

• A choppy rippled look when other areas look calm

• In large surf a much smoother surface with smaller waves.

• An area with a few breaking waves on the beach

• Foam or Debris floating out to sea.

If you find yourself caught in a rip the best advise I can offer is DON'T PANIC

other things are:

• Raise your arm to signal you need help

• Do NOT try to swim back to shore and against the current, you won't get anywhere and you will soon get exhausted.

• Swim Parallel to the beach.

and remember:

[YOUTUBE]n8WOlrVHfMw[/YOUTUBE]

The surf beaches scare me, I remember when a family were going to a beach outing and were unloading their kids from the car in the carpark - the little kids ran off and when the adults got to the beach the kids were already swept out ot sea, very tragic. Scroll down in this article to read the tragic story of the family who lost four of their kids at Gunnamatta Beach in Victoria.

http://www.slsa.com.au/site/_content/resource/00000356-docsource.pdf

I'm Sydney's biggest wimp in the water and I always do swim between the flags. Funny but Clovelly must be the only beach without flags but with a surf life saving club?

Going up or down the steps to get in there scares me if there is the slightest swell.

I'm even frightened to go into the 'proper' pools at the likes of Bronte if there is a swell washing into it.

Consequently, I do most of my swims at Harbour beaches like Redleaf, Neilsen Park, Parsley Bay & Watsons Bay but there's no lifeguards there.

I'm Sydney's biggest wimp in the water and I always do swim between the flags. Funny but Clovelly must be the only beach without flags but with a surf life saving club?

Going up or down the steps to get in there scares me if there is the slightest swell.

I'm even frightened to go into the 'proper' pools at the likes of Bronte if there is a swell washing into it.

Consequently, I do most of my swims at Harbour beaches like Redleaf, Neilsen Park, Parsley Bay & Watsons Bay but there's no lifeguards there.

We did a shore dive from Gordon's Bay last Sunday, there was quite a swell. With all my kit on I had trouble staying standing up for enough time to get my fins on!! Had to end up floating on my back and sticking my feet in the air and got two of lads to do it for me!!! What an idiot.... :embarrassed:

We did a shore dive from Gordon's Bay last Sunday, there was quite a swell. With all my kit on I had trouble staying standing up for enough time to get my fins on!! Had to end up floating on my back and sticking my feet in the air and got two of lads to do it for me!!! What an idiot.... :embarrassed:

That's a wild little spot - Gordon's Bay! Always imagine smugglers coming ashore there. I used to get the bus to Coogee all the time, then walk to Clovelly via Gordon's Bay, swim at Cloee, then get the bus back to Surry Hills from Clovelly.

At least it sounds like you are settling in fast. Last time I read a post from you, you had met one of the guys who runs the diving club? Weren't you going on a BBQ to meet the others? How is Winston Hills too?

I am far too timid to ever think of diving but it's about time I got a snorkel for Clovelly. You see quite a few people there swimming up and down with their heads down.

That's a wild little spot - Gordon's Bay! Always imagine smugglers coming ashore there. I used to get the bus to Coogee all the time, then walk to Clovelly via Gordon's Bay, swim at Cloee, then get the bus back to Surry Hills from Clovelly.

At least it sounds like you are settling in fast. Last time I read a post from you, you had met one of the guys who runs the diving club? Weren't you going on a BBQ to meet the others? How is Winston Hills too?

I am far too timid to ever think of diving but it's about time I got a snorkel for Clovelly. You see quite a few people there swimming up and down with their heads down.

Yeah, Gordon's Bay is wild! I can imagine the smugglers coming in by moonlight too. It is beautiful round that area, I love Coogee and we dived off Shark Point there too.

The dive club is nice, we had the BBQ and are gradually making some friends from our Sunday dives. Still feel homesick and like I don't fit in TBH and haven't really taken to Sydney... it will take time I suppose. Winston Hills is c**p for me, total anonymous suburbia. I need to be somewhere with more of a community feel or near the beach, but until only OH is earning this is what we can afford and this is where we will stay, be thankful for small mercies and all that...!:yes: