457 Visa - My ongoing experience

middo2905

Hello Everyone,

As you can see I'm new to the forum (although have been an avid reader for a while), however, I thought I'd take the plunge and sign up as it's a brilliant forum with helpful people and I can hopefully share my experiences with you all that are going through the 457 visa process!

So, about me! I work in retail head office as Space Planner - planning store layouts and displays so as I don't have a trade, I've been searching for a role that would offer sponsorship for 18 months, on the 22nd September I received an email containing a job offer which will hopefully change my life! I will (all being well) be relocating to Melbourne with my girlfriend of 4 years, Lisa.

Following the offer, an agency called Fragomen contacted me, as they would be putting forward the visa application to DIAC to request various details such as: Passports, Birth Certificates, Qualification certificates and because Lisa and I are 'de facto' a mountain of information on our relationship, which as we don't have joint accounts/purchases or anything with either of our name on it consisted of the following: Proof we live together for the last 6 months (wage slips, bank statements, etc) Holiday/Flight confirmation, holiday photos and written statements from us both detailing our relationship. I would advise anyone looking into the 457 route to keep this in mind and keep old flight tickets, etc. Alternatively, you could always get married! :wink:

We also had to have proof of Health Insurance - which took us 2 working days to receive.

We have now sent everything and Fragomen are happy that they have enough information to lodge our application. And that's my story up to date so far.

I'll add the timeline of everything below, to give people an idea of what it's like going through the experience - I've already learnt that it is very stressful and no matter what you are doing - it's constantly on your mind which is quite draining.

Job Offer: 23rd September

Fragomen Initial Contact: 30th September

All information back to Fragomen: 6th October

That's it for the minute and I will continue to update my progress, which hopefully you find of use, or at least a little bit of interest.

Good Luck to everyone going through this process or similar, I already feel your pain but it'll be worth it!

Steve

Guest The Pom Queen

Welcome to the forum and great update, sorry I missed it the first time round, sometimes there are sooo many posts that I don't manage to read them all.

Congratulations on the job offer, everything seems to be going very well for you both.

Kate

Thanks Kate,

Well, I now realise how stressful it all is and this is before anything has really happened!!

I received an email last night from Fragomen, stating that my application has now been lodged with the DIAC, so it's just a case of waiting with everything crossed!

Other things we have been investigating during the last week is places to live in Melbourne - which, without the local knowledge is quite difficult. We know we want something in the south-east area (Bayside, Kingston, etc) but need a little bit of nightlife as well as beaches or greenery!

Also been investigating Removal firms with the first quote coming in at £3700 - so we're now weighing up if it's worth just shipping a pallet of our 'essentials' and starting from scratch with the money we'd save and shipping and make on selling our stuff - dilemma!!

I have my family leaving party at the weekend for my 'oop north' family which will be quite difficult - and very strange seeing as they'll all be asking me questions I just don't have the answers to!! So that's where I am at the minute!

Good Luck to you all in the same boat. I'm fully aware of the helpless feeling you have because everything is out of your hands, the sleepless nights because you're checking emails every 2 hours and the days when everything's brilliant, as well as the days when you are convinced that something will go wrong. Keep strong everyone!

Steve

I recognise those feelings!

I imagine most people on this board do! Such a mix of emotions going on!

The Immigration Agent (Fragomen) told me that the DIAC would take approximately 2-4 weeks, although reading the forum pages, i anticipate it could take longer than this.

So for now, it's just a case of playing the waiting game . . . which I'm not very good at!

Steve

Guest TCASAlert

Good luck with everything Steve, you are correct it is a horrendous process to go through, one day you are looking forward to your new life and the next you get a blow and you think about just canning the whole thing and staying here. Then you are excited again the day after.

You cannot sleep as you are worried you might miss something happening in Oz if you do, but then it makes you so exhausted the stress just piles up. I'm sure it will be over at some point, but we are now 6 weeks in and no sign of anything happening. You get to the stage where you start to not be bothered one way or the other about going, but just want to know for sure where you will be living in a months time. With family this stress is worse.

I just long for the day when our application is either approved or refused. Either way I am fine with, I just want to have some semblance of order back in our lives!!

Millers/vdM Family - it sounds like I'm one step ahead of you in the process so if there's any information you want, please don't hesitate to ask and hopefully I can help.

TCASAlert - I think we all need to adopt the "I'm lucky that I've even got this close" attitude, but like you say - it's the not knowing that's the killer! To make matters worse, it's my last day at work tomorrow - I just needed to make myself as attractive as possible to potential Australian employers!

As always, good luck to everyone.

Millers/vdM Family - it sounds like I'm one step ahead of you in the process so if there's any information you want, please don't hesitate to ask and hopefully I can help.

TCASAlert - I think we all need to adopt the "I'm lucky that I've even got this close" attitude, but like you say - it's the not knowing that's the killer! To make matters worse, it's my last day at work tomorrow - I just needed to make myself as attractive as possible to potential Australian employers!

As always, good luck to everyone.

Thanks, we're always looking for help, can you tell me is it worth applying for our Police Checks now in preparation or wait until we're asked for them? How did Fragomen contact you, was it by email? We're hoping it's all going to go smoothly... hope to be there early 2012...

Guest TCASAlert
Thanks, we're always looking for help, can you tell me is it worth applying for our Police Checks now in preparation or wait until we're asked for them? How did Fragomen contact you, was it by email? We're hoping it's all going to go smoothly... hope to be there early 2012...

Depending on your job you usually don't need them (I guess you would for some care related roles, teaching etc). Normally they say to wait until you are asked for them, and they will only ask for them if there is some doubt.

I work in IT and there were no checks requested for us. I believe they have everything they need from my side (they asked for a couple of other bits and pieces that I provided but no medicals and no police checks).

Same here. I'll be working for Kmart, so not been asked for Police Checks. Not sure if they'll ask for medicals, but have been made aware that I may be asked for additional information - which could include this.

Fragomen have been really good - all contact has been via email, they have kept me up to date with everything and been very clear on the information I needed to provide. If you have access to a scanner, I would suggest collating everything (as per original post) so you have it all to hand.

Thanks for that will look into scanning everything to save hassle. My other halfs friend went out to NZ last year working for the same firm

& he was asked for police checks which is why we thought we'd need them but will wait and see as its pointless Wasting money on them if we don't need to.

Thanks for your advice it's most useful.

Same here. I'll be working for Kmart, so not been asked for Police Checks. Not sure if they'll ask for medicals, but have been made aware that I may be asked for additional information - which could include this.

Fragomen have been really good - all contact has been via email, they have kept me up to date with everything and been very clear on the information I needed to provide. If you have access to a scanner, I would suggest collating everything (as per original post) so you have it all to hand.

Guest TCASAlert
Hi there, I am already working in the job my company are applying a 457 visa for....this seems not to be the norm on here...am I correct in thinking this?

Depends on the visa you are on. What visa are you currently on, a working holiday visa? As long as you have a valid work visa you are able to work, be it a 457 of a WHV.

Depends on the visa you are on. What visa are you currently on, a working holiday visa? As long as you have a valid work visa you are able to work, be it a 457 of a WHV.

I got the job and came out on a WHV on the basis they would shortly apply for a 457, which they and I are in the process of doing.

It appears the majority on here have not done it this way? I am working for local goverment.

So your saying it is perfectly acceptable to have accepted a job while in the Uk, move to Oz and start the job on a WHV then apply for a 457 while in the same job?

Guest TCASAlert
I got the job and came out on a WHV on the basis they would shortly apply for a 457, which they and I are in the process of doing.

It appears the majority on here have not done it this way? I am working for local goverment.

So your saying it is perfectly acceptable to have accepted a job while in the Uk, move to Oz and start the job on a WHV then apply for a 457 while in the same job?

I believe you can go on a WHV then go to a 457 but I have heard you have to go out of the country and then re-enter with your 457, may be wrong though. I was offered a job who offered to do that for ease of getting me out there sooner, they said I would have to come home and then go back with the 457, but I think a lot just head over to NZ. Not an expert in this field though mind you as I am just going straight out on 457 (when it eventually turns up).

I believe you can go on a WHV then go to a 457 but I have heard you have to go out of the country and then re-enter with your 457, may be wrong though. I was offered a job who offered to do that for ease of getting me out there sooner, they said I would have to come home and then go back with the 457, but I think a lot just head over to NZ. Not an expert in this field though mind you as I am just going straight out on 457 (when it eventually turns up).

Ok, thanks, I will do some digging! What documents have you had to attach to your application?

Wow, i have had my visa approved!! I received an email from my immigration agent in the early hours of Tuesday morning to say both me and my partner have been granted our visas!

Still in a state of shock as it only took a week!

I think they want me out there in 2/3 weeks so I'd better pull my finger out.

Hopefully, this gives some of you hope that good things are just around the corner.

Steve

Wow, i have had my visa approved!! I received an email from my immigration agent in the early hours of Tuesday morning to say both me and my partner have been granted our visas!

Still in a state of shock as it only took a week!

I think they want me out there in 2/3 weeks so I'd better pull my finger out.

Hopefully, this gives some of you hope that good things are just around the corner.

Steve

That's bloody awesome if not a bit shocking...busy few weeks for you :arghh: Congratulations :wubclub:

Guest guest59652

Good info middo. The 457 is indeed a stressful process - its even more stressful as you have to work for 1 company and the employer holding the job for you is the reason that you have the visa. Lots of positives and negatives of the 457. I have been criticised previously about my forthright views on the 457.

The main points from threads i have led on the 457 is simply this: good points - quick, gets you into australia, counts towards future citizenship. It is a live for the moment visa but it is not a life changing visa - it can give experiences and its a visa where seizing the moment is imperative but you could be back in the uk in 28 days after ANY TIME if the company cuts jobs, goes bust etc with little protection for employees.

Be aware of all the facts - it is a work permit for temporary residence - it is not much more than that - therefore rent properties for 6 months not 1 year - all these little details DO COUNT. There are lots of 457ers here who have come out knowing these limitations but there are those with large families who come out on 457s 'migrating'. Be aware of these things and take careful heed.

Archived