UK Set for -20

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

JUST days after a heatwave Brits have been warned to brace themselves for a cold snap with temperatures plunging to -20°C.

Nervous councils are busy stockpiling 1.4million tonnes of grit in preparation for another harsh winter and snow falling as early as next month.

On average councils have ordered 1,500 tonnes more salt than at the same time last year as forecasters predict the UK could be just weeks away from a sudden collapse in temperatures.

Forecaster James Madden, from Exacta Weather, said: "I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during November, December and January at present."

Temperatures dropped as far as -20°C last winter and Mr Madden said of the upcoming cold snap: "It is likely that temperature and snowfall records will be broken."

The Local Government Association (LGA) revealed authorities were aiming to stockpile more salt for October than the total amount used last winter.

Scotland has already seen snow this week, just days after record October temperatures saw bikini-clad sun seekers hit beaches around the UK.

And forecasters have predicted temperatures in the seventies (Fahrenheit) on Sunday and Monday.

3794d1318238248-uk-set-20-snow.jpg

Yeah, was reading about this cold front meant to be coming our way. Joy. I don't mind cold tbh, got used to it living overseas in cold winters long enough. So long as it doesn't rain in amongst the cold spells.

My Aussie mother in law thought it was funny and extravagant that I bought our son another winter coat this year when he already has one. I explained that he actually needs them and that a shower proof cagoule, a fully waterproof padded coat and a full on thick padded coat for the really cold temps is not excessive. Plus we all have about 5 different fleeces and sweaters. Plus son has waterproof trousers and an all in one waterproof suit.

Me, I have about 10 different coats and some waterproof trousers, mainly as living rural you seem to find you need and wear them for differing reasons.

We walk lots, have a dog who has to go out rain or shine, cycle in all weathers so we can't just use one coat and be done with it. We need to wrap up, especially if its sub zero outside.

Have to say, as much as I love winters in England, I am looking forward to not needing the winter weather gear for quite so long nor perhaps quite so much of it.

• 1 month later...

Took the dog out for a cycle this morning at 8 am (live in North Brabants in South Netherlands) I can testify that I lost all feeling in my fingers after about 30 seconds cycling.

IT WAS COLD!

Not sure the exact temperature but it was definately minus maybe -4'C ?? I think it will go colder. It was - 20 C here a couple of winters ago for quite some time.

Poor fingers cant take it!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
JUST days after a heatwave Brits have been warned to brace themselves for a cold snap with temperatures plunging to -20°C.

Nervous councils are busy stockpiling 1.4million tonnes of grit in preparation for another harsh winter and snow falling as early as next month.

On average councils have ordered 1,500 tonnes more salt than at the same time last year as forecasters predict the UK could be just weeks away from a sudden collapse in temperatures.

Forecaster James Madden, from Exacta Weather, said: "I expect the most frequent and heavy snowfalls to occur across many parts of the UK during November, December and January at present."

Temperatures dropped as far as -20°C last winter and Mr Madden said of the upcoming cold snap: "It is likely that temperature and snowfall records will be broken."

The Local Government Association (LGA) revealed authorities were aiming to stockpile more salt for October than the total amount used last winter.

Scotland has already seen snow this week, just days after record October temperatures saw bikini-clad sun seekers hit beaches around the UK.

And forecasters have predicted temperatures in the seventies (Fahrenheit) on Sunday and Monday.

3794d1318238248-uk-set-20-snow.jpg

HEATWAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BLOODY HEATWAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where was this then? :realmad:

The H word hasn't been used in the uk this year by the weathermen and a couple of not as cold days, don't = a Heatwave.:no:

I think you have been hitting the sherry again.:laugh::wink:

Archived