Canberra - just how expensive is it??

wozzie2202

We are currently going through the emigration process to Canada but are becoming increasingly disheartened with the lack of movement on our application (as I believe as many!) The prospect is we will not actually receive a visa for another 2 years, having been in the system now for 18 months. With my OH due to leave the Army in 15 months and not wanting to spent longer than necessary in this poor excuse for a developed nation,thumbdown.gif, we are seriously considering looking at Oz instead.

We are well travelled enough to know that wherever we go will not be utopia and each country offers its own challenges - Oz in particular as we know is becoming increasingly expensive, but we know it could offer us and our young family far better prospects than where we are currently - oh and the odd bit of sun would be much appreciatedsmile.gifsmile.gif

However, as we would have to apply on me as an HR professional, the only states currently offering sponsorship are ACT and NT. Having researched ACT, it does look like it would suit us very well, but our main concern is the high cost of living and in particular, the cost of property. From individual experiences, just how expensive do people find ACT for two professionals earning around 50-80K each?? Any thoughts and feedback would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Sarah.

As you were considering Canada you won't find Canberra's winters a shock although the houses aren't built for warmth - just wanted to make sure you were aware of our climate - it's not like the rest of Australia :-)

Hi Rob and Catherine.

I noted with interest that Catherine, you are an HR Manager? I am considering applying as an HR Generalist - I don't think I would pass the AIM assessment currently although I have worked previously as an HR Manager, my more recent experience has been slightly different and so would rather go with the safer route as a generalist! I was wondering, how hard you found it to secure work in the HR field? I know that it can be very "closed shop" and networking is often the key. Do you have an advice or details of good agencies to contact so that I could start to put the feelers out there? I am also considering looking for work in learning and development, so that is another avenue I could go down.

I don't suppose any of your children are in childcare or after school care. We have a 20 month old and a 6 year old so it would be something we would have to look into.

It really is scary in terms of property prices and how much rental is. We currently own a property in Adelaide so would be looking to sell that in the long term but properties don't look especially great for around $450K - and the kitchens I've seen look absolutely horrific!!!

Any advice you could give would be most appreciated.

kind regards

Sarah.

Guest buttercupv

I think it depends where you are coming from in the Uk, I'm from Yorkshire and have only been here since the 27th and I am having to readjust my budgeting. I think if you are comparing it to prices down south it is quite comparable. It is a nice standard of living, it appears to be very family friendly, the suburban clusters offer lots of choice for places to live. I know already that it is out of the Australian super hot sun spots, but I like seasons and it suits my purposes. I am a real homebody and this has a real home away from home feel, with plenty of opportunities. Hope you find what you are looking for wherever it may be.

Vics

Guest ralfjnr

Hi

We have just arrived in ACT for a dry run, before moving for good

All Aussies say Canberra is expensive as the housing market is inflated with too many people and not enough houses

That said, everything else can be done cheaper, eg there is a costco wholesaler, supermarkets are getting cheaper, mobiles for £25 a month with unlimited calls and text to all phones and mobiles in oz, petrol is cheaper.

House wise, we've been looking to rent and a decent house 3/ 4 beds is around $550 a week

Thought I had replied to this thread but ... old age huh?!:biglaugh:

The average Canberra salary is around $80k and most families are two income so the general household average would be around $120k - the APS is the biggest employer and public service salaries push the averages up.

We are a retired couple with no mortgage and pay everything by credit card and pay it off each month. We dont shop at Costco (questionable economies there, having to buy more than you need) and we do prefer organic and my credit card is rarely less than $5k per month - no great vices there either. So that is going to be $60k pa before you begin to think about things like rent/mortgage. Sure, petrol is cheaper than UK at the moment but most families run two cars and generally have to drive further so that all evens out in the long run as well. Other little bonuses too like paying for visits to the doctors, paying for medications, paying for the dentist, probably paying private health insurance, the 'voluntary' school fees plus all the other school incidentals (child care around $80 per day if you need it), school holiday programs because you have no family to support you etc. Mobile phones hook you in to a 24 month contract and broadband costs an arm and a leg .... it all mounts up to an expensive place to live IMHO

Guest Been there

Costco great, saved a fortune so far (know your prices). Best farmers market in Australia and lots of organic produce available everywhere. Keep away from supermarkets (same anywhere in Oz) except for necessities. Having lived in 4 states the ACT is cheaper bar petrol and houses are up there.

Guest ralfjnr

Mobile phone contracts are the same as the UK... 24 month contracts if getting a phone, but if you own the phone, get a optus boost pre pay sim. $40 a month, unlimited Aussie calls to any landline or mobile, no contract and unto 3gb of download, so if you have an iPhone you can tether it to an iPad and therefore don't need broadband.

We have been using iPad to skype family back home, so it can be done cheaply.

Childcare is cheaper in Australia than the UK with the recent cuts the UK government has made.

All in all, since UK prices have gone up as well, we are seeing it as same price with exception of houses (if you live outside London), cars (to buy) and eating out is more expensive

Archived