tourist visa while waiting for 457 visa

Guest NataLibera

Guest NataLibera

Hi all,

I am going to lodge an application for a 457 visa next week for me and my family (5 persons). Is it possible to get an Australian tourist visa and stay in Australia as a tourist while we are waiting for the 457 visa to be approved?

Thank you for your help

NL

Guest NataLibera

Just to share the information with anyone who might need it, I wrote to the Europe Contact Centre and this is what they answered:

Please note that if you lodge an application for a tourist visa and the officer at the border sees a pending 457 application, you may be refused entry, as you are supposed to enter on the most appropriate visa, so the officer may think you are not a genuine tourist. Please also note that you cannot receive a visa in Australia, if you lodged the application outside Australia, so you may wish to reconsider your idea to lodge an application for a tourist visa.

• 4 years later...

Sorry, I know this thread is ancient, but I thought I would share my situation as I'm in the exact same boat.

My 457 still hasn't been approved. But even before the whole company transfer thing was a thing, I had planned to head down to Australian and New Zealand for a few months for a holiday. Today I phoned the Australian High Commission here in Canada to see if leaving the country and coming to Australia or other countries would be in breach of my application. They told me I'm more than welcome to come and visit Australia while waiting for the outcome of my visa application. It can be granted while you are in or out of Australia or your home nation. As long as you don't visit any high-risk countries, work in Australia or be in violation of any other conditions attached to your ETA, you are free to have a holiday in Oz. They also suggested that you attach a cover letter to your application stating your travel plans, showing that you are keeping your case officer informed on your whereabouts. This way they can contact you if need be.

I was sweating for a bit because I heard a few people say you cannot have enter Australia while waiting for a work visa to be granted, but that is not the case, thankfully!

Edited by Canada2Australia

• 5 weeks later...