100 reasons why not to move to Australia

hia

Hi All

Just to try and sum up this thread. The OP gave it a very misleading name as we all thought we were getting a long list of why we should not bother stepping foot in oz when all I can gather was that they really only seemed interested in free tax advice which nobody can really give and usually have to pay companies large amounts to get, the same as getting quick migration advice on here you have to pay for an agent. Also benefit advice when nobody can give exact answers to that as all cases are different. We all tried to help but shouted down that we were wrong, then someone jumped on and told us that we should learnt respect another persons culture before we move to oz and not come on here and give an advice until we actually live there not just been for a holiday, which really offended me, as the OP never told us they were from another culture until page 13 and saying we should have guessed by their poor spelling was rubbish as quite a lot of everyone's spelling on here is crap anyway mine included sorry. I never guessed as they said other poms so thought they were british and it wouldn't have changed my view on

things anyway as we would give the same advice to anyone. Us poms come on here to help but also for the lighthearted banter as on any forum and cannot help it if the question isn't answered as fully as they might like but being a bit silly now and again is our way and our sense of humour that keeps us going and everyone has to respect that also,we are not getting at anyone personally or intentionally with our daftness.

The OP could now post the real story of their sister, where they are from about their family, which visa applied for and where they would like to live in oz, everyone on here loves detail like this and it isn't being nosy it's just gives a better insight for better answers. We would love to hear your sisters view on things also as surely she must have got onto the Internet for her visa? Or was it just the financial info needed? Because if

that is the case we probably can't help very much.

Best wishes with your sisters plans but remember it is her dream and not yours at the end of the day.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the way i see it is this, If you don't like a feel for a place you will soon find faults with it, when you do love a place so much no matter what any one says negative you disagree, If you don't like the heat stay out of the kitchen. lol

Admittedly it wasn't clear here, but the OP has discussed the situation about who is applying for the visa before in other threads around the forum.

I think some were already aware about the OP's situation, others were not. Let's hope confusion is a thing of the past all round :smile:

Anyways, I'm off to read other stuff with '100' in the title :goofy:

My sister is applying...................

Country of origin : pakistan

Wanting to head to : WA/SA not decided

Vetassess : not approved yet...

Visa: 176 SS

Thank you Hia

As quite a few of us hadn't come across any of your other posts but had just opened the thread because of the title is is nice to see more info. In what occupation is your sister, is WA or SA the best places to be for her job?

Mrs murky

Thank you Hia

As quite a few of us hadn't come across any of your other posts but had just opened the thread because of the title is is nice to see more info. In what occupation is your sister, is WA or SA the best places to be for her job?

Mrs murky

She is a recruitment consultant but she is confused where to apply for as WA is very expensive and SA doesnt hav too much RC jobs ....

Guest guest59177

hia would be an English teacher's dream. The poor souls spend every effort to get their charges to write. And here we have encomiastics to 'lambastics' (sorry for inventing the word), generalizations, specializations, summarizations and people want to continue on and on!!! My heart goes out to all you pomz - never seen more helpful souls in the whole wide world :hug:

She is a recruitment consultant but she is confused where to apply for as WA is very expensive and SA doesnt hav too much RC jobs ....

So really she needs to be where the work is. All research needs to focus on this at the moment and nothing else at all because as soon as the vetasses are passed then she will have to find which state to apply for as per the requirements for the visa. So just find all she can about employment agencies and local jobs in those areas on the Internet. You really do need to stop stressing over other things that can wait until this part has been done.You need to research step by step. You are probably not helping your sister by overloading her with other info at this stage either.

Mrs Murky

hia would be an English teacher's dream. The poor souls spend every effort to get their charges to write. And here we have encomiastics to 'lambastics' (sorry for inventing the word), generalizations, specializations, summarizations and people want to continue on and on!!! My heart goes out to all you pomz - never seen more helpful souls in the whole wide world :hug:

I do try

But I notice how you cannot help but keep coming back to see how things are going, so really you are showing some interest :biggrin:

Guest Bayview

hi, i am the main earner in our house. OH works PT and earns less than $32,000 or whatever the threshold is to qualify for pension top up from the government (if you earn less than the threshold and pay in $1K, the govt put in $1K for you too. 100% instant margin.

i guess it depends where you live. we live in the Northern Beaches in Sydney. it is a fantastic place to live if you like the outdoors. expect to pay upwards of $900 per WEEK rent for a house (if you can get one). i think the housing market is softening a litlle, but you will find in a lot of cases that asking prices are over inflated, and good buying at the moment (relatively).

we have been here 5 years and still think the meat, fruit and veg is not as good quality as UK. OH is very good cook, so we save $ by keeping keen eye of shopping. OH does the shopping and we get by on $600 / month.

if you are not careful, because you do not have a network of "tradies" it is very easy to get ripped off.

we have been saving for 3 years to renovate 2 bathrooms, as i cannot do it my self, it is costing @ $30K.

one tip, when you get here, buy a car which runs on LPG. I have a 3.5ltr V6 Toyota Camry whichj is dual fuel (LPG / ULP) and it cost me @ $35 per week to run - cheap as for 400klm.

best thing to do is start your own business as there are lots of ways to offset earnings against tax and deductibles.

the first thing i would suggest is find a good financial advisor. we didnt and i have "lost" mnore than $250K over 5 years.

happy to help with other questions if you like...

Guest Bayview

900 dollars...Yeah, i know! we managed to buy 3 1/2 years ago. the house was 20 yrs old then and needs modernising. it still isnt finished. just do a bit each year. we had to buy becasue the rental we were in paying $700 pw was the house from hell for 79 days. just got so over it, and the stress just wasnt worth it. like i say it depends where you want to live. we moved here for a different lifestyle, so went after the dream!

we have friends who rent for @ 1100 pw cos they cannot buy as they need 10% deposit ($80 - 100K) and cannot afford to save as the kids education is too expensive. the house is damp and moldy!!!

oh, and dont foget you pay stamp duty of a lot of purchases.

look on the positive side - you can have breakfast at a nice cafe on the water and get change from $50

Guest Smudger2go
hi, i am the main earner in our house. OH works PT and earns less than $32,000 or whatever the threshold is to qualify for pension top up from the government (if you earn less than the threshold and pay in $1K, the govt put in $1K for you too. 100% instant margin.

i guess it depends where you live. we live in the Northern Beaches in Sydney. it is a fantastic place to live if you like the outdoors. expect to pay upwards of $900 per WEEK rent for a house (if you can get one). i think the housing market is softening a litlle, but you will find in a lot of cases that asking prices are over inflated, and good buying at the moment (relatively).

we have been here 5 years and still think the meat, fruit and veg is not as good quality as UK. OH is very good cook, so we save $ by keeping keen eye of shopping. OH does the shopping and we get by on $600 / month.

if you are not careful, because you do not have a network of "tradies" it is very easy to get ripped off.

we have been saving for 3 years to renovate 2 bathrooms, as i cannot do it my self, it is costing @ $30K.

one tip, when you get here, buy a car which runs on LPG. I have a 3.5ltr V6 Toyota Camry whichj is dual fuel (LPG / ULP) and it cost me @ $35 per week to run - cheap as for 400klm.

best thing to do is start your own business as there are lots of ways to offset earnings against tax and deductibles.

the first thing i would suggest is find a good financial advisor. we didnt and i have "lost" mnore than $250K over 5 years.

happy to help with other questions if you like...

Good tip about the car cheers

I've never really thought about LPG car's will look into one. Google here I come.

:jimlad:

Guest Bayview

the other thing you might look into is "novated lease". it can help reduce the cost of owning a car depending on your circumstances and mileage. like i say, speak to a PFA, we didnt!! unti lit was nearly too late

wow thats really expensive. i definitely think im going to end up in a tent lol

Don't worry to much Stace...get yourself to South Australia... we've just moved into a great 4 bed rental in aberfoyle park with a great view of the sea and reservoir...its costing us $350 a week:cool:

wow thats really expensive. i definitely think im going to end up in a tent lol

But Sydney is expensive - the most expensive city in Oz. And the Northern Beaches area of Sydney would be one of the most expensive areas there.

Lots of us other Australians couldn't afford to live there either. :biggrin: