Foodie comparison

motherof2

I'm sure I've seen Hellmans in Coles somewhere...we've switched to Paul Newman's Mayo (the aioli is very good too!)

Woolies sell Lurpack so that's the butter we use.

Hellman's was one of the few things I missed a lot when we first arrived and I went through just about every brand of mayo on the supermarket shelf. I've finally settled on "S&W real whole egg mayonnaise". It's pretty close to Hellmans--in fact, if anything it's a bit closer to my home made version which I'm generally too lazy to produce!

I wasn't a Clover user in the UK but for a spreadable margarine I've settled on "Olive Grove" regular. My wife claims she hates margarine and will only eat real butter....but when the butter is hard I cheat and use my Olive Grove and she's never noticed the difference...at least not yet! FYI, I've tried their "Extra Virgin" version as well--it tastes good but actually has an EVOO taste which doesn't suit everything so I usually stick to the regular.

Bob

I found Kraft too acidic for my taste...more like salad cream than mayo.

To each their own--but if that's the style somebody likes, a lot of the Australian brands taste like that. It took a lot of experiments to find a brand that tasted like real mayo to me!

I've been buying Helmans at $6.99 a jar (small jar at that!) so will try some of the alternatives suggested here.

Can anyone recommend teabags? I've tried Liptons, Twinnings Irish Breackfast Tea and the latest one begins with a D or a J I think! I threw out the box but it was dark green a purple... I think!

Anyway, none have come close to Yorkshire Tea so can anyone recommend something similar?!

Thanks! :biggrin:

Olive oil, salt and pepper and lemon. Hate all that creamy stuff :laugh:

We use devondale light spreadable lovely stuff

The thing is try to find something you like that is in Aus and not compare, that way you save a lot of dosh.

I've been buying Helmans at $6.99 a jar (small jar at that!) so will try some of the alternatives suggested here.

Can anyone recommend teabags? I've tried Liptons, Twinnings Irish Breackfast Tea and the latest one begins with a D or a J I think! I threw out the box but it was dark green a purple... I think!

Anyway, none have come close to Yorkshire Tea so can anyone recommend something similar?!

Thanks! :biggrin:

I just spend the money at the English shop to get yorkshire or PG. It is more expensive but all the tea is rubbish here.

I just spend the money at the English shop to get yorkshire or PG. It is more expensive but all the tea is rubbish here.

Oh no! i was hoping to find something I can get in a regular supermarket as we'll be moving 250km inland in a couple of weeks and I don't want to become reliant on expensive imports!

Isn't there anything that comes close even??? :unsure:

Oh no! i was hoping to find something I can get in a regular supermarket as we'll be moving 250km inland in a couple of weeks and I don't want to become reliant on expensive imports!

Isn't there anything that comes close even??? :unsure:

Depends on how big the town is you are moving to what the supermarket will be like. If its a regional city then you should be able to get regular things and maybe some of your favourite stuff. I see the Brit stuff in Coles but to be honest I would not pay the price for it.

Its just getting used to different stuff.

Depends on how big the town is you are moving to what the supermarket will be like. If its a regional city then you should be able to get regular things and maybe some of your favourite stuff. I see the Brit stuff in Coles but to be honest I would not pay the price for it.

Its just getting used to different stuff.

Most stuff I agree but the tea is as weak as cats pee, even the extra strength stuff. It is one of only three things I buy from the UK shops.

I just use Lipton here...but then I used ordinary PG Tips in the UK. However, I just got back from shopping and notice that, besides the regular bags, there's another type of Lipton specified as "intense". Have you tried that if you like a stronger brew?

Praise Whole egg mayo is very similar to Hellmans. Available from Woolies.

Funny that! I just opened a jar of Praise Whole egg, Low Fat! I got the Low fat by mistake. It's not great.... very sweet. Maybe they've put in extra sugar to make up for the low fat. I'll have to try the regular one. Wish they did tiny jars though!! I hate throwing food out but can't see any of us eating this stuff!!

Someone recommended the Liptons Intense to me but I haven't tried it yet.

Praise was one of the many failed tryouts I did before settling on S&W as the most Hellmanns-like alternative.

Going to the supermarket in a minute.... on the shopping list s Best Foods Mayo AND S&W Mayo! Oh the extravagance!!! :twitcy:

Without going through all the brands and probably spending a small fortune, could anyone tell me if they have found a good equivalent to Clover & Hellmans mayonaise?

The mayo I've tried in pre made coleslaws here tastes very vinegery/salad creamy.

Love this thread :wink:

When we were on our reccie, it was so hard to know which butter was a good equivelant (we have Clover in Uk too) ....

I found myself sneaking a look in others trolleys/baskets to see what was popular! :laugh:

Also, here in the Uk we have 'cathedral city cheese'....Whats the best/most popular in Australia? :unsure:

Archived