Evidence for de-facto (same sex) partner on a 176 application

Dono

Hi everyone,

I've managed to get most of the my documents ready for my application. The remaining section I need to cover is evidence to prove my relationship with my long term (same sex) partner.

A bit of background: we've been together for over 9 years (we met in June 2002), dated for 8 and didn't move in together until June 2010 as we had to first finish studying and also get our families to accept our relationship. We've lived together since then, we've even moved once.

My question relates to what evidence I need to provide. I propose the following:

• We have a lease for our first and second apartments, both leases are in our name and cover a period of more than 12 months
  • We traveled to Australia in 2009 - I have our e-tickets and iteneraries, as well as the ETA date for my passport and the immigration/emigration stamps from his passport
  • Photos - we have photos of us together at parties, as well as on holidays (including the trip to Australia). Unfortunately the photos aren't dated on the actual photos though.
  • We can get friends to write letters vouching that our relationship is true and genuine - while I'm on this, do these need to be made under oath at a police station? Or can they just be signed?
  • We share the cost of living - for practical reasons we don't have a joint bank account. We do have records of who spends what, and then we settle at the end of the month (whoever paid more gets re-imbursed) - we can get bank statements showing the transfers between our accounts and I can provide the records (it's just an excel spreadsheet)

Would this probably be sufficient? Has anyone been through this before?

Hi Chris N Lora,

Thanks :) Haha... people make fun of me because I'm a bit pedantic with all my stuff especially when it comes to important things like this. Hopefully this will all be enough :)

This is a very stressful process!

hi Dono, we did a same sex defacto a well, sounds like you have it well covered. We put in all our holiday's, testimonials from family and friends, holiday photo's, civil partnership info,Gym membership etc. The statements from family and friends did have to be certified, they did this at a solicitors for a minimal coast , a tenner i think!

Good luck!

Guest sarahstew

Hi,

I was my boyfriend's defacto partner and we submitted:

-tickets of flights we had taken together

-loads of mail addressed to Colin or myself from banks, credit card companies, phone companies etc, proving showing we lived at the same address. These do not have to be addressed to both of you, just show that you occupied the same house at the same time.

-leases for the two apartments we lived in together

-statements from both our parents, two friends each and ourselves explaining when we met, how long we had been together, 'our love', our future plans, and their support for our move to Aus

-photos showing us together (they were not dated)

We didn't have anything showing we shared expenses (though we said we did in our letters). From the sounds of it you have more than enough, I think the idea is to put together an irrefutable case that you are in a genuine relationship (i.e you couldn't possibly forge all those documents).

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation and have similar evidence to provide, they really dont believe anyone do they? There is mention of a form which friends and family can fill in which needs to be certified, but as far as I can see it has to be certified by an australian citizen, so I dont think that is a must...well i dont have anyone to sign it.So i am just going to get a couple of people to write a statement and include that with all my evidence. Just moved house and chucked a lot out so now have to go hunting for old bills etc as well...... :arghh:

Archived