Honest Opinions North or South

Guest bluecob99

Guest bluecob99

Hello

After much deliberation, our family of 5 have decided on a suburb north of the river and one south of the river that we feel would really suit us as a family.

Job offers aside, we've been chatting to a few Aussies about suburbs and searching on forums for info from fellow Brits.

Can someone honestly say what they feel about the NOR/SOR divide, differences etc. I know it's a personal thing, but the general feelings are so different, we're just confused as to the whole issue. It seems such a big deal and we just don't get what it is about!!

Some say that NOR is the 'posh' bit for Poms, some say the total opposite! Some say both are the same and it's the individual suburbs that count. So really just to understand what the whole deal is, could anyone explain clearly??

What would your honest choice be and why (it may not reflect our situation, but it's just good to know a little more and hear some honest opinions!).

Of course, we're going to see what happens when we get there, but not having been to Perth, we wondered if we could find out people's views beforehand.

Any opinions most welcome :wink:

i have no idea why people go on about the north /south either , move east towards the hills !!!problem solved !!lol

its all about personal choice i assume when you say north / south you mean the coastal strip ? thats generally what people mean when they talk about it ,

i think you get more for your dollar south of the river [ house wise ]they have spent a lot of money taking the trains down to mandurah , so the rail links should be good [ havnt been down there on the train my self .

the trains go as far as clarkson , north of the river although i beleive the train will go to butler by 2014 it was supposed to be earleir but i think it has been amended to 2014

I think prices are neither here or there north or south directly its just getting one thats

as right for you ..work, schools lifestyle etc ... its when you head really south or further North .. if that makes sense you prob get more for your dollar , i'd prob say south in certain parts can be a bit industrial nr Henderson, Freo , kwinana etc .. again i have no idea what the other thoughts are were south and like it we were East in the hills and have also lived South next to the city ( 10mins ) were now 40 mins away ...

Guest guest17301

Not a lot in it tbh, we live NOR and love it but have friends SOR and could happily live there too! Its all good! Sorry not much help, lol!

I just wrote a really long reply and deleted it.

To summarise...

I think you need to be out there to decide what suburbs are suited to you. We all have different standards of what we consider nice to be. Some people may say London is dirty and overcrowded. I would say its buzzy and exciting.

Someone may tell you of a really nice suburb but when you get there it may be nothing like you expected. Some NICE areas have grafitti. ALOT of older but still nice suburbs are stained from the bore water which I dont like the look of.

When we first moved out there we landed really south of the river in Mandurah and there wasn't a train line back then. That was only holiday accommodation. Then we moved to Leeming after much suburb searching which is really nice. After a few years we headed north of the river which was equally as nice. But we spent weekend after weekend looking and driving around areas.

South of the river we were a lot closer to the River and utilised this more for bike rides, kayaking and bbqs. North of the river I prefer the beaches and shopping centres and hilarys and mindarie boat harbours.

When I go back I will probably stay North of the River because I spent more time there and it feels more like home. While my parents love it too...they have just moved to the Swan Valley and are looking to buy a house in a suburb near Mandurah as they love it there too.

When you get out there drive around everywhere. Every weekend the real estate agents have hundreds of houses open for viewing. We rented for ages which isn't always ideal but meant we weren't tied down.

I can give specific suburbs that I like but I dont really think it helps!

Archived