K-Mart, Target and Big W: Too cheap?

TheOptimist

I bought a pair of jeans for my son for $12 at K mart - never has them off his back and they've washed really well. The wear and tear he goes through to be honest I'm happy if they last 6 months. Wish the same could be said for sports stuff which is really expensive.

He wears his jeans on his back? Must be some Australian fashion craze that hasn't caught on here yet - they're still all wearing them belted just below their crotch here.

Just replying to the OP's post as have not read the rest of the thread.

I try to shop ethically as much as possible here in the UK. In that where I shop has a clear policy of paying a decent wage etc to the people who make the clothes. M&S, Next and many other UK stores now do this. While its still not perfect (but what will be) it is at least a step in the right direction.

TBH I've never held with buying cheap stuff as it doesn't wear well and does lose shape or fades after a couple of washes. Sure, a few cheap t shirts for the summer or some such but for the rest I try to buy decent stuff that I can mix and match and will last not just for one season. It helps I don't worry too much about the latest fashion these days (that current 80's revival, I was there the first time round, this time round it just looks crap to me). I buy things I can see myself wearing for a few years at least. And decent cut well made jeans just wear and wear.

I'd rather buy one pair of well made more expensive trousers and wear them for 4 or 5 years (say each winter season) than 3 pairs of cheap ones and have them be no good after one seasons wear. Cost wise this works out about the same in the end.

I also buy from second hand shops a lot. I've found some great bargins there like a pair of Laura Ashley cords that still had the shop label on. £70 trousers for £7. Same with 3 dresses I bought this summer for weddings. Found 3 in a charity shop for a grand total of £15. I've worn them on nights out and to weddings and have a few evening do's coming up and will be wearing them some more. And once done with them I'll hand them back to the charity shop to sell again. Beats paying £120 for one dress that's for sure.

He wears his jeans on his back? Must be some Australian fashion craze that hasn't caught on here yet - they're still all wearing them belted just below their crotch here.

Lol ... figure of speech although I would rather he wore them on his back than showing his underwear

I love Target combat-style pants; about 20 bucks, loads of reinforcement on the seams, the cotton is lightweight and the colour does fade but hell, when you're doing fieldwork in 32 C and 80 percent humidity jeans ain't going to work, and dye is five bucks in Spotlight.

I've found the best quality (and relatively cheap) clothing comes from Etsy. I have a chinese taylor in the UK who will do a custom made cashmere overcoat for $300, one in the US who does immaculately tailored dresses for $80 and an Israeli woman who does things that I've drawn up for $100. I don't bother with mainstreet stores any more - why bother when for a wait of two weeks to a month or so you can get something made to your exact measurements, cheaper?

I use Etsy for our children's clothing. I have bought a number of things from there that have been handmade, excellent quality, and certainly no more expensive than Pumpkin Patch and the like. I have two girls, so I don't mind buying better quality clothing for our eldest because I know that they will pass on to our youngest. I do buy things like leggings, jeans and t-shirts that are worn around the house/at pre-school at target because those are the things that end up with holes in and paint on anyway.

I do think about how clothing etc is made, but I wouldn't guarantee that paying a higher price means that child labour or whatever is not used. I would just say that those higher priced items make more profit for the company bosses rather than the workers.

My gran often moans about the quality of the clothing in M&S. She thinks that quality is bad, but she isn't willing to pay good money for quality.

Archived