North and south,differences?

pablo

Is there really a detectable difference between a Newcastle & a Sunderland accent (or between Sunderland & Middlesborough for that matter?) I was born at Harten Hospital in South Shields (although raised in Hampshire) and the distance to Sunderland looks no more than a few miles?

I usually play it safe and ask where someone comes from in the NE? I always like talking to people from there as I'm proud of my 'Geordie' roots - my Mum came from Jarrow. That's probably why I've got a soft spot for 'Fog on the Tyne', 'The Likely Lads' 'When the Boat Comes In' & 'The Animals' (but definitely NOT that Geordie 'reality' show on Foxtel. I tried to watch it because it was in Magalluf. It was almost like watching SBS - they even had 'sub-titles'.')

Come to think of it I'm sure there was a lady with that accent in the Bondi Icebergs club the other night. I'd have liked to ask her where she was from but she was sitting in a large group.

ps Who do Middlesborough fans support when NU plays S?

Fish mentioned the obvious one... Mackems will say book more like "Bewk". There are plenty of others, but they are easily missed to the un-edjumoocated.

I'd say that it depends on the strength of the accent. I was talking with one of the lads at work about our old boss and he said, "Great bloke, shame he's from Sunderland"... he could spot the differences but I couldn't. I doubt many could tell which of the two I'm from because I don't have a strong accent. Middlesborough is a different matter, I'd say there is a much bigger difference (and no idea who they'd support in a derby... probably neither given the local rivalry in footy!).

And on a side note... I don't think anyone up here is proud of that geordie reality show! they even had subtitles on here for some parts (but still in geordie :cute:).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fish mentioned the obvious one... Mackems will say book more like "Bewk". There are plenty of others, but they are easily missed to the un-edjumoocated.

I'd say that it depends on the strength of the accent. I was talking with one of the lads at work about our old boss and he said, "Great bloke, shame he's from Sunderland"... he could spot the differences but I couldn't. I doubt many could tell which of the two I'm from because I don't have a strong accent. Middlesborough is a different matter, I'd say there is a much bigger difference (and no idea who they'd support in a derby... probably neither given the local rivalry in footy!).

And on a side note... I don't think anyone up here is proud of that geordie reality show! they even had subtitles on here for some parts (but still in geordie :cute:).

I found the easiest way to tell the difference between a geordie and a mackem is to watch which football manager they jeered at on the pub telly :biggrin:

I noticed that some geordies were a bit peed off that most shows reinforce the stereotypes that some southerners have of them so I can't imagine that going down well.

Can't blame them as Newcastle is a great city and I didn't get that impression when I asked Londoners what it was like except from the ones that had visited.

Is there really a detectable difference between a Newcastle & a Sunderland accent (or between Sunderland & Middlesborough for that matter?) I was born at Harten Hospital in South Shields (although raised in Hampshire) and the distance to Sunderland looks no more than a few miles?

I usually play it safe and ask where someone comes from in the NE? I always like talking to people from there as I'm proud of my 'Geordie' roots - my Mum came from Jarrow. That's probably why I've got a soft spot for 'Fog on the Tyne', 'The Likely Lads' 'When the Boat Comes In' & 'The Animals' (but definitely NOT that Geordie 'reality' show on Foxtel. I tried to watch it because it was in Magalluf. It was almost like watching SBS - they even had 'sub-titles'.')

Come to think of it I'm sure there was a lady with that accent in the Bondi Icebergs club the other night. I'd have liked to ask her where she was from but she was sitting in a large group.

ps Who do Middlesborough fans support when NU plays S?

Born a sand dancer heh :biggrin: My wifes family is from (and still lives) in the Pelaw/Hebburn/Jarrow area. The newcastle metro even goes to sunderland these days - in sydney terms it would be classed as an inner city suburb of sydney :biggrin:

Well I'm from Stoke...what does that make me? I class myself as more northern than southern but strictly speaking i'm in the middle (Midlands)

If you draw a straight line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash (the unofficial border between north and south) Stoke is very much on the north side of the border.

PS forgot to mention that if you draw that line correctly it should pass through Watford Gap Services on the M1 (aka the border checkpoint).

Born a sand dancer heh :biggrin: My wifes family is from (and still lives) in the Pelaw/Hebburn/Jarrow area. The newcastle metro even goes to sunderland these days - in sydney terms it would be classed as an inner city suburb of sydney :biggrin:

I was only there for six weeks before my parents moved down to Hants because my dad got a job at the Esso refinery, Fawley, but I'm proud of my birthright. Rod Stewart calls himself Scottish despite being born and bred in England so I guess I can myself a Geordie if I choose?

Guest guest17301
If you draw a straight line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash (the unofficial border between north and south) Stoke is very much on the north side of the border.

PS forgot to mention that if you draw that line correctly it should pass through Watford Gap Services on the M1 (aka the border checkpoint).

Thanks Ken, thats cleared that one up for me:cute:

In Hampshire we always thought that Hadrian should have built his wall from the Thames to the Severn about where Bristol is. I suppose the Romans could have moved the 'Antonine?' wall a bit further south as a second buffer though.

Archived