class system not in Oz

mossetta

Guest Guest 47403
There is less of a class system in Oz but that doesn's stop people being snobby which I think are worse here, although quite rare. Tradies are more respected here and they often have more money than anyone else but most people are down to earth.

Ozzies seem to be obsessed with racing and dressing up in suits and posh dresses which is very funny because after a couple of drinks their true nature comes out and they are common as muck. Ladies Day at Ascot it aint!

Real classy ladies day at Ascot :laugh::laugh:

00000e8a_medium.jpeg

00000e89_medium.jpeg

00000e90_medium.jpeg

http://avaxnews.com/funny/Englishwoman_Fun.html :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest guest57588
You're dreaming if you think that sort of thing never happens anywhere in Australia.

Sadly, your absolutely right. We are a very consumerist society now where the focus is on the house, the car, the holiday, the telly etc. We're no different to lots of other countries in that respect, and Aussies with money are as snooty as they come.

Guest guest37336
From what I have seen with friends kids,its all about gadgets.....Iphone,Ipad,Ipod etc.

Nearly all the kids I know have all of the above.Kids as young as 8 with Iphones !!!!!!!

As for clothes it seems to be all Roxy and Billabong.

Converse shoes are all the rage as well.

Luckily Janine I've had my converse for over eight years and before they became 'fashionable', :mad:

I often get looks from the younger generation wondering why oh why they are not spotlessly clean and shiny.:no:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

converseIMG_0309.jpg

converseIMG_0309.jpg

This was in the telegraph today

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8760558/Cycle-of-compulsive-consumerism-leaves-British-family-life-in-crisis-Unicef-study-finds.html

I hit a nerve with me. There are so many kids with so much stuff, and it never satifies them. I asked my son why he needed an ipod 4 rather than put up with his ipod 2 - and he couldn't answer me. But he thought he needed one. It's like they have been bred to consume. Where does it come from.

But I think this is different to class. There are class differences in the UK. It doesn't bother me at work, but I'm seeing it more socially. You don't get the class thing in Oz, but you do get snobbery. But Oz suburbs seem to be more evenly spaced, with most of the houses around the same price, where as in the UK, you can have huge differences in value.

They do say that the more equal you are with your neighbours, the happier you are.

Am I the only one who does not see this snobberey in the UK or in Australia, do I mix with the wrong crowd? because none of my friends family or people I have worked with have been like this.

I have not come in contact with many snobby people in Oz or UK/Ireland. I know they exist everywhere but I tend to avoid them. I have noticed the lack of class system in Oz and I have never been asked what I do for a living or received any comments about the car I drive. I find people in general dont judge you on these things. I know some people compete with their houses and cars etc but that happens everywhere.

One thing I have noticed is the attitude towards mothers working. There are a lot of single income families and they dont hold back on telling you that they feel the mother should be at home, with quotes like "why did you have children to ignore them and put them in creche". Not that easy for a lot of people to do. Other than this area I find people are very much each to your own.

I have not come in contact with many snobby people in Oz or UK/Ireland. I know they exist everywhere but I tend to avoid them. I have noticed the lack of class system in Oz and I have never been asked what I do for a living or received any comments about the car I drive. I find people in general dont judge you on these things. I know some people compete with their houses and cars etc but that happens everywhere.

One thing I have noticed is the attitude towards mothers working. There are a lot of single income families and they dont hold back on telling you that they feel the mother should be at home, with quotes like "why did you have children to ignore them and put them in creche". Not that easy for a lot of people to do. Other than this area I find people are very much each to your own.

But even people who i work for who have money and big houses and people I know who have money to burn are not snobs, I can honestly say I have never met a snob, the people I know with money are sound.

Maybe I just take people as I find them and do not try and find faults.