class system not in Oz

mossetta

Can`t wait to move to Oz so sick of the snobbery of this country !!!!!!!!

Bought my son a pair of trainers for school P.E, he was moaning because he should have chosen them, I told him off for being ungrateful his Dad coudn`t believe it, my son got really upset then confessed that he was laughed at for wearing a pair of Fila trainers, they cost £50 hardly a cheap brand, he goes to a school in cheshire full of spoilt rich kids.

But its everywhere here and we are just as bad myself included, we are selling an unfinished barn conversion so have moved into a rented house, are car broke down relpaced with an older one because we are trying to save for the move but most of our neighbours have decent cars, so i made my hubby buy a newer one, i wouln`t even care what car we had if we were living in Oz.

You're dreaming if you think that sort of thing never happens anywhere in Australia.

I dare say it does but i have noticed that my son does not have that age old problem of people picking on him for having crap trainers (i remember moaning like mad cos my dad made me wear gola trainers bought from the market lol) looking around the playground i see all sorts no ones bothered....maybe its because he's in primary school and it will start in high school........i will enjoy buying $10 trainers from bigw for abit longer :0):yes:

Jo

Guest The Pom Queen
I dare say it does but i have noticed that my son does not have that age old problem of people picking on him for having crap trainers (i remember moaning like mad cos my dad made me wear gola trainers bought from the market lol) looking around the playground i see all sorts no ones bothered....maybe its because he's in primary school and it will start in high school........i will enjoy buying $10 trainers from bigw for abit longer :0):yes:

Jo

I have never bought designer for any of mine and they have never had anything said to them.

Jo

Off topic completely i know - but love your pic :)

Guest guest17301

I think it goes on less here. Private school uniform is very strict so they wear what theyre told and public schools they all seem to wear cheap pumps for school, (well mine do anyway, lol) I think there are less 'labels' around, you certainly dont see the chavs decked out head to toe in the latest labels anyway. Its a lot more acceptable to be a slob and no shoes is the ultimate, designer thongs don't cost that much either!

Thats a shame but then at the moment we`re at the stage where the grass is greener, we just want to get out of the Uk, hubby is a bricky he use to love his job and would never say a bad word about Uk, but the last couple of years, we`ve just gone down hill, i know we`re not the only ones, and i do hope that when we do move to Australia we won`t be dissappointed.

You can look far more of a slob in Oz without someone looking at you because you do not have designer cloths on, I used to go to the pubs in Oz looking like a tramp knowing everyone else would look the same :biglaugh: suited me more than over here to be honest as I like the scruff unshaven look.

Guest sh7t man no way

back on thread--though i must say going of thread you would expect from a new member--but a mod,and admin beggars belief:no::wink:it is a pretty tiger though i must admit:yes:there's heaps of snobbery in oz--far more than the uk i feel--buts its a different type of snobbery,more like look what Ive achieved, rather than the class snobbery in the uk--which i find rather sad

back on thread--though i must say going of thread you would expect from a new member--but a mod,and admin beggars belief:no::wink:it is a pretty tiger though i must admit:yes:there's heaps of snobbery in oz--far more than the uk i feel--buts its a different type of snobbery,more like look what Ive achieved, rather than the class snobbery in the uk--which i find rather sad

in 65 years of living here never come across it.i was a labourer my nieghbour is a doctor on one side on the other an architect,i have a friend an airline pilot another a solicitor,never have any said or commented on the way i dress or what i drive.im a stubbies and thongs man for most occasions

I have found people much less hung up on labels here. I don't buy my lot designer stuff and their friends don't seem to have that sort of stuff either.

I reckon it's some of my British friends who are more label conscious just thinking about it!!!

love

Rudi

x

I dont feel that there is as biggest class distinction in Oz as there is in the UK. Brits seem to like acting up, speaking posh ect! Since moving here I have found that snobbery does exsist and I am sure it does in any culture even if it is minute - but people here tend to just get on with things! I am glad I moved to Oz - dont think i could live in the UK again - especially now!:jiggy:

Guest littlesarah

What is being described is nothing to do with the 'class system' as such (which was/is about one's 'rank' in society based upon level of education and the perceived worth of occupation). It is more about materialism, and the value placed upon the image of wealth.

I say 'image of wealth' because, in my experience, a person's actual wealth isn't necessarily reflected by their clothing or other material possessions. Some of the wealthiest people I know drive around in a bog standard car, which is several years old (but they wouldn't dream of replacing it while it still goes well). And all this, of course, assumes that a person's wealth can be measured in financial terms.

As I see it, the question to consider is whether Society is responsible for our own attitude towards material possessions, or is it up to us to decide what is important and reflect our own values?

There is less of a class system in Oz but that doesn's stop people being snobby which I think are worse here, although quite rare. Tradies are more respected here and they often have more money than anyone else but most people are down to earth.

Ozzies seem to be obsessed with racing and dressing up in suits and posh dresses which is very funny because after a couple of drinks their true nature comes out and they are common as muck. Ladies Day at Ascot it aint!

There is less of a class system in Oz but that doesn's stop people being snobby which I think are worse here, although quite rare. Tradies are more respected here and they often have more money than anyone else but most people are down to earth.

Ozzies seem to be obsessed with racing and dressing up in suits and posh dresses which is very funny because after a couple of drinks their true nature comes out and they are common as muck. Ladies Day at Ascot it aint!

:biglaugh:very true

:laugh: they aint got much "class" have they.