Struggling with finding a rental.... please help!

young2682

Hi all,

We moved from the UK last Monday and are currently in temp accom provided by my husbands company.

We are looking at Berwick as it is close to my OH work in Hallam.

Struggling to find a) the properties to be available and b) the open inspection times often clash and then you miss out! Went to view 2 yesterday and another 10 people turned up...

So worried we wont find anywhere by 3rd Oct :unsure:

I guess I am finding it a struggle as I have 2 little ones to drag around each house with me....

Anyone got any advice or tips? Time is not on our side!!!

:wubclub:

You could try phoning agents and explaining you have two littlies and its difficult, a lot may just be uninterested but it only takes one nice interested agent and you will be helped.

Have you looked at Lyndhurst, Mellington, Lynbrook and Cranbourne, Narre Warren North, all easy to get to Hallam.

If your oh is going to drive to work you could look at beach side suburbs like Patterson Lakes, Harbour Town, Chelsea and Chelsea Heights, Edithvale Aspendale.

Langwarrin, Frankston are not bad commutes

Botanic Ridge is a nice estate in South Cranbourne and good rentals there, my daughter's friend lived there and she rents.

Domain.com.au

Gumtree

City Hobo good sites

Guest shusselmann

Hi,

I'm sure many of the real estate websites work the same and list the same properties but another one we used was Homehound. Have you set yourself email alerts to receive the inspection times of properties that meet your criteria?

If you haven't already, you should create a rental application pack with all the information, references and proofs of ID you need to secure a property. We had a stressful property search in Sydney, approx. 40 people were waiting outside a townhouse we wanted to look at - we gave up on that one! When we did find somewhere we liked we had our pack and submitted the application within an hour of viewing the property.

I'm sure you'll get there - we did and the timings worked out in the end but it's horrible not knowing!

Good luck!

Hi all,

We moved from the UK last Monday and are currently in temp accom provided by my husbands company.

We are looking at Berwick as it is close to my OH work in Hallam.

Struggling to find a) the properties to be available and b) the open inspection times often clash and then you miss out! Went to view 2 yesterday and another 10 people turned up...

So worried we wont find anywhere by 3rd Oct :unsure:

I guess I am finding it a struggle as I have 2 little ones to drag around each house with me....

Anyone got any advice or tips? Time is not on our side!!!

:wubclub:

We have had plenty of new arrivals over the last 3 years, and all have found a place within 2/4 weeks, and the market is easier now than a couple of years ago.

Its a real pain that you have to arrange your time around them, but just let the real estate agents know if you are really interested in a place, and hopefully you wont have too many problems.

I am always happy to vouch for applicants that are staying in our unit (which often seems to help), so maybe if you can put down either your hubbys new boss or the owner of the rental you are staying at, every little thing helps.

take a deep breath, have a cold glass of wine and enjoy the approaching good good weather here in Vic. It will all work out. :hug:

Guest shusselmann
What exactly needs to go into these packs? We're just looking at rentals nearer Sydney. Nightmare considering we're way up in Newcastle atm, no way will we get anywhere quick having to travel up and down to view etc.

Hi - we prepared a set of documents that included the following;

- reference from a past landlord (ours was years old but we still provided it)

- proof that our property in the UK was rented out (we used it to prove that we were getting an income from it)

- proof that we were looking for work in Sydney (if you have them you'd include work contracts)

- proof of savings to cover the rent for X months (we needed this because we weren't working yet)

- proof of ID that meets their criteria - this is a good example of what you're likely to need: http://www.ngfarah.com.au/_files/tenancy_application/20101013091424_Supporting%20Documentation.pdf

- a cover letter explaining why we felt we were good, trustworthy tenants to have in the property

Hope that helps!

Initally we got lists from the websites, then went to open viewings. After two weekends of this we were fed up of rushing around like flies with X amount of other people. The following week my wife spent time going into estate agents in person, rather then relying on the web and phone, getting their lists off them and seeing what hadnt gone over the weekend. She got some independant viewings this way, also said that due to other commitments we weren't able to make the open viewings so could she view it prior to the open viewing dates even if our application wasnt considered until the open viewing was complete. By going in the shops themselves we also got blank application forms to complete in advance of an open viewing, so that if we liked the house we would just have to complete the address and hand it in with our pack of information. Dont be afraid of applying for more than one property at a time.

In our pack we provided a copy of 12month mortgage statement showing all payments paid on time, also copy of electric and gas bills showing regular direct debits, copy of offer of employment inc salary in australia, me with a reference and contact details from someone i rented from 5 years ago, copy of australian bank statement showing funds to pay for a couple of months rent (our start up funds so to speak), copy of our passports and uk driving licences, and provided them with contact numbers for team leader and line manager to confirm that the job offer was legit. Think we may have had a copy of a reference from my wife's previous line manager back in the uk, and reaffirmed that she was looking for work as well - though we kept the rental budget down to ensure that we could pay it just from my salary on a monthly basis.

We also ensured that we were smart/casually dressed when viewing properties - good jeans and top/work trousers and shirt. We also had everything copied ready to hand over with application forms if we saw a house we liked.

We did find somewhere within two weeks of landing (landed on the thursday, got accepted on the friday two weeks later), though the property isnt available until the end of this month.

Hi! We have just gone through the same thing! very stressfull and i cant imagine having to do it with kids in toe?!? We looked at quite a few properties - each viewing had between 6-15 people viewing and I felt the desperation in the room! I had no idea it would be like this - anyway in the end felt it was good to chat at length to the agent!!! They have a big sway on who gets to rent the property! Make sure your paperwork refs ect are in order - Also when you have completed an application form - keep a copy as they are all similar and you can just copy info! Good Luck! : )