making friends

Cam

We're thinking about coming back to Sydney, we had a great 8 months whilst I was on maternity but had to go back as job opps were poor at the time, otherwise we would have stayed.

My worry is making friends so that you feel less lonely, and did find a great playgroup in Coogee before. I'm currently pregnant with baby no. 2 & we're debating whether it would be best to come out a couple of months before the birth and then be able to link up with an ante-natal group or wait as we did before until 4 months, part of us is wondering that linking in with a group before birth and in the early days might be a good idea, or is it just a bit random & silly?

:jiggy:Useful to know other peoples' thoughts!!!! Especially if you've had a baby in Australia. Thanks, Camilla

Hi Camilla,

I've moved this thread into dilemmas. That Pablo is a top bloke and one day may have what it takes to be a mod, especially if he can sort out his grammar and spelling.

Back to your question, how many weeks are you into your pregnancy? We had our second child here and came out when my wife was around 4 months pregnant. It's probably not a bad idea to come out early and try and establish your life here as much as possible before the baby arrives. If you leave it till 4 months afterwards, it may feel like you're playing catch up.

I suppose the other consideration is whether you have a support network, ie parents etc who can help once baby is born. If they are in the uk, then maybe get them to come over for the first few weeks? If not, then maybe it would be best to wait.

I realise I'm going round in circles here. I think you need the advice of a woman!

Thanks Harpadom. I'm 3 months now, think it's worth hanging in there until I get my maternity leave from work, so it would b around 7 months that we would think of coming over.

Parents don't live close by so didn't help out last time, so thinking wouldn't b that different, except that we will also hv a 3 year old!

Thanks Harpadom. I'm 3 months now, think it's worth hanging in there until I get my maternity leave from work, so it would b around 7 months that we would think of coming over.

Parents don't live close by so didn't help out last time, so thinking wouldn't b that different, except that we will also hv a 3 year old!

Hi Cam, I suppose it also depends on the familiarity of the surroundings. If you're going back to somewhere you know reasonably well, it's a lot easier to cope with having the baby there (again, you'd need a woman's advice really :goofy:).

Also do you know if the airline will let you travel at that stage in pregnancy?

Hi Harpodom, if you're uncomplicated (I'm very complicated!!:biggrin:, nope as is no issues the airlines will let you travel up to 35 weeks, but to me that's pushing it a bit close. Our first baby was 10 days early, so we counted back & said expect this baby to be 2 weeks-ish early, we want to have moved into a flat a month before baby comes (34 weeks) & it will take us (a real hope!!) 2 weeks to find somewhere to live. Hmmmmm, anyways, still thinking it all over!!!

Did your wife meet any other people through mum's groups organised by midwives, etc.?

Archived