Mobile phone shops and advice please???

Guest sudzy

Just here a week, trapped in Scarborough!! But am definately buying a phone asap! Is there such a thing as a carphonewarehouse type shop in Aus where you can go in and explain what your needs are and they will tell you which mobile co. or plan to go for??

I'll be mostly ringing someone already on Telstra so should I go for telstra myself?? And i'll be texting and possibly ringing Irish mobiles too so does any company give deals on that?? I'd google it myself but on very dodgy wifi that keeps dropping out so it's very difficult.

any advice appreciated.

Hi sudzy

There are loads of phone shops everywhere just like in the UK.

However I find avoiding them suits me best - I'm very pleased with Amaysim, who are an online based mobile provider although you can buy their sims in various shops.

However if you are mostly calling a Telstra number you could check the Tesltra plans online to see if you can get free calls on a pay as you go basis. If you're getting a plan anyway there would not seem to be an advantage in being with the same provider.

Guest guest48973

hey all,

30 days til i touch down in oz and cant wait, just wondering what the best network for calling the uk will be? does anyone know if blackberry messenger is free aus to uk?

any advice is much appreciated.

We both bought vigin sim cards ($29 gets you something like $450 credit in various text/call/internet forms) - free to each other and my wife bought a $19 phone inc credit and is still using it nearly 3 weeks later due to the additional credit she got - that is including texting uk and Oz phones, calling regarding houses and jobs etc. We are in sydney and have had no issues with coverage.

Guest The Pom Queen
Great, thanks, is that a shop??

Yes although they tend to stick with optus and virgin. We have travelled most of OZ with our virgin mobile and had excellent coverage even in the outback, although I have to admit when you are in the outback telstra has more coverage.

Here is the website for TeleChoice http://www.telechoice.com.au/

Guest The Pom Queen
hey all,

30 days til i touch down in oz and cant wait, just wondering what the best network for calling the uk will be? does anyone know if blackberry messenger is free aus to uk?

any advice is much appreciated.

Blackberry messenger is free although you would need data allowance or wifi

Hi sudzy

There are loads of phone shops everywhere just like in the UK.

However I find avoiding them suits me best - I'm very pleased with Amaysim, who are an online based mobile provider although you can buy their sims in various shops.

However if you are mostly calling a Telstra number you could check the Tesltra plans online to see if you can get free calls on a pay as you go basis. If you're getting a plan anyway there would not seem to be an advantage in being with the same provider.

I am on Amaysim, the best deal around. Works of Optus network, and for $39 per month you get unlimited talk, unlimited messaging, and 4 gig download.