Starting Big school - in a new country

supa

My daughter is in Year 6 and will be entering Year 7 next September. There is an awful lot of hype already about joining Year 7 and being in Senior School.

I'm just wondering what effect it will have on her to be doing this about a month after arriving in a new country. It's different for my youngest as he's in Year 4 so has some primary years left. I've just found out that there aren't any places left in the school we wanted them to go to when we arrive which has gutted me tbh. The school would have allowed them to remain together until Year 12 but it looks as though they'll have to go to different schools:sad:

Any experiences would be much appreciated.

My daughter is in Year 6 and will be entering Year 7 next September. There is an awful lot of hype already about joining Year 7 and being in Senior School.

I'm just wondering what effect it will have on her to be doing this about a month after arriving in a new country. It's different for my youngest as he's in Year 4 so has some primary years left. I've just found out that there aren't any places left in the school we wanted them to go to when we arrive which has gutted me tbh. The school would have allowed them to remain together until Year 12 but it looks as though they'll have to go to different schools:sad:

Any experiences would be much appreciated.

Will your daughter be going into year 7 in Australia? It varies from state to state, some states still have year 7 in PS and they all start in January/February.

It wont be a big thing for her to start her first year of HS part way through, kids move around all the time.

Hi Quoll

We will be going to Melbourne, in October 2012 so she will be leaving here at the end of our year 6. I presumabe therefore she will be joining an Oz Year 6 in the October and then going into Year 7 the following January (2013)?

First moving to another country and then going into a primary and then a "Big School" within a few months is quite a big ask - hope she's can cope with it. Kids very often surprise you with their resiliance I guess.

Hi Quoll

We will be going to Melbourne, in October 2012 so she will be leaving here at the end of our year 6. I presumabe therefore she will be joining an Oz Year 6 in the October and then going into Year 7 the following January (2013)?

First moving to another country and then going into a primary and then a "Big School" within a few months is quite a big ask - hope she's can cope with it. Kids very often surprise you with their resiliance I guess.

The cut off date for Vic is 30 April so as long as she turns 12 before 30 April 2012 she will be going into year 7 in 2012 so if you arrive next month she will go into year 6 for the remainder of the year.

In Australia, you will find that most parents refer to 'big school' as primary school when the kids move out of preschool. HS is just HS.