Houses not selling - has anyone tried letting?

Guest The Cutches

Guest The Cutches

Like many of you, our house is up for sale during a really slow period. We we wondering if anyone had decided to let their house while it is still for sale? The thing is, ours looks really nice at the moment and we were thinking that if tennants didn't keep it looking good then it might make it even harder to sell. Does anyone have any tips?

FANX:goofy:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Not much of a help, but just to let you know that we are in the same boat. Planning to leave by December and no news with our sale. We are also thinking of putting it for renting. Fingers crossed. I will appreciate if some one sheds light into this matter:wacko:

Raj

Guest june coates

like you i have my house on the market for 6mths now.i have applied for cp.visa and have decided to go over on 1yr. visitor visa in the hope that my cp.visa will be granted before the year is up.i will leave my house empty and on the market as i can stay with my daughter untill house sells.i have nothing to lose as i have no family left in england and need to be with my family for xmas.good luck to everybody else with a house to sell.

june

Hi June

I know this sounds really boring but make sure you check your insurance policy before you leave the property empty.

A lot of insurance companies will only allow you to leave the house empty for 30 days so you could end up having no protection for your home or contents.

Yes, I work for a bank/financial company !!! How boring am I????

Joanne X

Hi

I have been dealing with my sis and my Dad's house while they are being rented and it is not always straight forward, tentents do not always take care of the house as if it were thier own

Sis has had 4 tenents now the first and third left stains, dirty kitchen, broken toilets, blinds, missing curtains the third ones smoked despite a no smoking clause and tried to have 5 adults living there with two babies and only 2 adults on the lease, some sort of benefit scam going on we think! the house stank when they left and we only gave them half thier deposit back - oh and her letting agents who she was paying to represent her did nothing I had to go a talk to the tenents.

Dad had a loverly girl and her baby renting his with her parents as guarentor, she left with two months on the tenency gave back the keys and basically told us to chase her for the rent she owed, her Dad said the same, could not care less that they were doing my Dad out of nearly £2,000

The last tenents in my sis house have been a pain about letting people view it even though they knew it was on the market when they agreed to rent it

so letting out is a good idea as you will at least be getting some money but be prepared for problems and you have to let go of it as 'your home' and think of it as a business.

Don't know what we will do if we have not sold by xmas, will have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

good luck:wubclub:

We're also in the same boat.

Our house has been on the market for 3 months now, and even though we've reduced it in price by 15k, we still can't find a buyer.

As we planned to rent for 6 months first in Oz, we figured as long as we could cover our mortage repayments in the UK, renting it out for 6 months, would be a viable option for us.

At least that way we would be in Oz and starting our new lives, rather than sitting here in the UK waiting for that buyer.

However, when we thought about it more, all sorts of doubts started to creep in. Mainly those posted by Kazz.

Also apart from that, what happens if after 6 months we lose our tenants and can't replace them.

We would then be in the boat of having to pay rent on a house in Oz and having to finance our mortgage in the UK. We also were afraid of our house being trashed. Especially when the agents only come to check on the property once every 6 months.

In the end, with everything taken into account, we decided the renting the house out option was just too risky for us, and possibly we had more to lose than to gain.

Not sure if this helps, but if like us your house is being used as your biggest source of cash injection to start your new life in Oz, please give it plenty of thought before renting it out to someone you don't know.

Debs x x

Guest The Cutches

It's such a tough decision isn't it. We never expected the house sale to hold us up, it's soooo frustrating! We share all of those concerns mentioned but on the up side, my parents do live nearby so I could ask them to oversea things for us. I was going to contact one of those agents that guarantees the rent to see if it would still cover the mortgage. We've got a viewing on Saturday and if nothing comes of that, I'll contact a couple of rental agents next week to see what the deal is. I'll keep you all posted.:unsure:

CC

x

Guest ozdreamer

We are in the same position - house has been on the market a couple of months and nothing :arghh:.

We have had long conversations with our agents and have asked them to come up with other ways of getting buyers through our door, one has agreed to split the cost of a quarter page ad in the local paper and the other one has asked how we feel about having 'open days'. At the moment we are willing to try anything to get that elusive buyer.

We are planning to rent out our house for the first 12 months of our stay in Oz. We live in a small Warwickshire village where houses are snapped up, usually !! 8 months ago a house in our road sold within 2 weeks, now another has been on the market for over 6 months and dropped the price with nothing. None of the houses in our village are shifting at the moment yet a few have gone up for rent and they are gone in days. It's a chance you take, do you leave it empty and hope it sells or risk getting a tennant that makes a mess? For us we are going to risk it and hope that we get some civilized people who will treat our home with respect. Fingers crossed!

We are also fortunate that a friend has suggested a very good agent.

Someone may correct me and please do however I understand that you can claim a percentage (10) I think against wear and tear and also some sort of tax incentive,

best wishes Michelle

Guest june coates

hi debs,

i have no intention of letting my house out.i will leave it in the hands of my estate agent to sell.i believe i can give my solicitor power of attorney so i wont have to come home to sign i can sign before i leave england.good luck with yours.

june

Guest The Cutches
We are in the same position - house has been on the market a couple of months and nothing :arghh:.

We have had long conversations with our agents and have asked them to come up with other ways of getting buyers through our door, one has agreed to split the cost of a quarter page ad in the local paper and the other one has asked how we feel about having 'open days'. At the moment we are willing to try anything to get that elusive buyer.

We had an open day 2 weeks ago, it was advertised in the property section of 2 local papers and details were also on right move and no-one turned up. It didn't cost us anything to do tho' so I guess it was worth a try. If you do have an open house, just remember to check TV schedules for sports etc so that you don't clash.

Good luck

CC

x

Hi Guys This Is Just A Shot In He Dark - How About One Of Those House Sitting Agencies- I Know Its Quite Big In Oz - And Im Sure There Is Internatonal Sites - The Benefits Are That All People Are Pre Vetted So To Speak So You Know Your Property Would Be In Safe Hands - Might Be A Short Term Solution ............... Or Maybe Not Lol

Mrs Keily

Well, after nearly 6 months on the market the house has finally sold. I thought this might be a ray of hope for others in the same situation as we were. Also, my brothers house was on the market for a few weeks more than ours and his sold last week. So hopefully things in the housing market are moving (even if it is slowly).

Having said that we did have to drop £12,500 but we would have had to spend loads on a holiday to validate our visas so i'm fairly happy as now we will be able to get out there just before that deadline. And as our estate agents said the market value of our property has dropped since we first went on the market so we did need to adjust our expectations.

So now all the scary organising for the move can start.....

Guest Diane Paul and the kids

Hi.our has now been on the market for 9 MONTHS,with only 3 viewers,we have a skilled visa,which we have already validated,so we are not under any pressure to meet a deadline,having got the visa in May,we have until may 2012 to make the move,and at this rate,it may take until then to sell.

Guest Impatient

Someone may correct me and please do however I understand that you can claim a percentage (10) I think against wear and tear and also some sort of tax incentive,

best wishes Michelle

Michelle, you can only offset against tax the 10% for wear and tear if your property is furnished. No tax incentive that I am aware of, although if you do not already do a tax return you will if you start letting your property.

Not sure exactly how it works, but if the exchange rate gets much worse I might consider continuing to let my house as it is now rather than selling it and buying in Oz.

Hi

Our house has been on market since end of May.We have had a few viewings and an acceptable offer but they have 2 houses to sell and only sold one.:realmad:

We decided to take it off market for a month and have now put it back on with a new agent,had two viewings in a week but still nothing yet.:arghh:

Would definitely NOT let it out.

Just keep hoping the right person comes through the door

Neil..............

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Like many of you, our house is up for sale during a really slow period. We we wondering if anyone had decided to let their house while it is still for sale? The thing is, ours looks really nice at the moment and we were thinking that if tennants didn't keep it looking good then it might make it even harder to sell. Does anyone have any tips?

FANX:goofy:

Hi The Cutches,

I'm near Bristol, over to the east there near bath.

Anyway, if you are considering renting out your house have a word with "Medics on the Move" in Bristol. A near neighbour of mine rented out her house with them for a year while she went off on an adventure and they find rentals for professional people like docteors etc.

They get good rents too, so it might be worth a chat.

I am not associated with them.

Guest property prospects

Dont sell your house in the UK...........rent it out.............the pound is so strong you will be able to rent something very nice in OZ

Anthony

Guest The "Biscuits"

we got our acknoweledgement today (Yippee) and should be over the moon - but still no movement with the house sale, it's been on the market for 6 months and we've reduced it by 15 grand. - Unless we get to the deadline for the visa expiring we would definately not let it out, too many land working illegal immigrants in this area - the house would be ruined.

May have to do a validation trip to give us the extra time needed to sell - good luck everyone.

Congrats neil, tracy and haley on yr visa

Debbie.

we got our acknoweledgement today (Yippee) and should be over the moon - but still no movement with the house sale, it's been on the market for 6 months and we've reduced it by 15 grand. - Unless we get to the deadline for the visa expiring we would definately not let it out, too many land working illegal immigrants in this area - the house would be ruined.

May have to do a validation trip to give us the extra time needed to sell - good luck everyone.

Congrats neil, tracy and haley on yr visa

Debbie.

Cheers Debbie

Good news about your acknowledgement,hope the rest of the process goes smoothly for you.:yes:

What a frustrating time the whole house selling business is :arghh:

Lets hope we both sell soon.

Neil,Tracey & Hayleigh:jiggy:

Guest afiyafifi

Were in the same boat , house been on the market since may , only had 4 viewings lowered the price twice , we are thinking of renting it out but worried it might get damaged and it may put people of buying it with tenants in it . dont know what to do any advice greatly welcomed ... karen

Hi Everybody

I am so desperate to go now. People at work ask me about the leaving date, but how can I ! Need to get the house sorted :arghh: Not a single viewing since its been up for sale. Looks like letting is the only choice remaining. And I am unsure if there may be tenants. Some one had suggested about 'Medics on the move' thing. Will check up on that. We are planning to let it by next week. If everything goes as planned, the adventure begins:twitcy:. Best of luck with your house sale/rent/god knows whatever

Raj

Archived