Wooden Items - still confused!

Guest bluecob99

Guest bluecob99

Hi

Maybe you could help us?

We seem to have so much conflicting advice re wooden items...Lots of the things I'm talking about are inexpensive things that we have collected and we would consider shipping in our excess baggage as keepsakes.

So is it really ok to take any of the following:

Wooden stationery items

Children's wooden toys

Signs (i.e. decorative room signs)

Picture frames

Wooden trinkets etc that are shop-bought but made simply to look antique

Wooden jewellery

Then we have a few large photo canvases. These have been hand-made with the canvas stretched over a wooden frame (manufactured by a separate UK company) - the wood looks bare, but has been through processes to ensure strength and kiln dried, which should kill off anything...

Any advice would be really welcome - thanks a lot!

We had the same problem. For example what to do about plain pencils??!!

We decided to declare everything wooden even if it was just a minor item like wooden pencils. We also declared wooden picture frames and paint brushes, hair toys (such as forks and sticks) and wooden shelves.

So yes, I think it's better to be on the safe side with the Aquis people.

we messed up by not bringing some wooden toys ,ships ect ,in fact ive spent an hr or so today searching for an early learning wooden pirate ship to replace the one we left in the uk, we were gutted as the girls loved it and the boys would have had great fun ship wrecking it .!!!!!!

there are many about but pretty expensive .........

leave your wicker gear and obvious gear that shoudnt come but tbh things that are sentimental ect bring them , take a chance ,i brought all sorts , even a large camping knife wrapped in a sleeping bag just in case they questioned it , all my spices ect .........why we left the wooden toys we dont know , we still do not forgive ourselves for leaving them ..........:frown:

Guest edwardsfamily

i bought lots of wood...didnt even remember what i'd packed when declaring them on the customs forms! incuding canvas's, stationary, wooden dining table, coffee tables etc. Even wooden kitchen utensils, spoons etc that i has asked the packers NOT to pack!

however we had a whole contaniner and not a single item checked by customs...maybe we were just lucky.

I had listed our wooden furniture on the AQIS form but our shippers advised that it is only wooden items that maybe were ourside and untreated. I'm also not listing wooden salad bowls too. Have to redo the forms now! :rolleyes:

They haven't left yet, but will definitely be fully insured. And I should be honest and admit I'm a little prone to exaggerate - he 'only' has 12 guitars, 2 or 3 of the most treasured (depending on luggage allowance) of which will be travelling in flight cases on the plane with one or the other of us.

Apparently I can buy new knickers and clothes, but his guitars are irreplacable....

They are looking for 'raw' wooden items like pine cones or things that may have soil/vegetation on them.

They are looking to exclude any live organisms like fungus, insects, etc or even seeds.

Kids toys if clean will be fine, also picture frames etc. Just make it clear on the lists.

I declared some shell jewellery in my hand luggage once and they said it wasn't an issue at all but to always err on the safe side!!

Interesting that you packed all your spices. I was told that opened food items like this was a definite no no!! A real pain and expense to replace them all too.

Mind you when we unpacked we saw that the packers had left a snake skin (shed from my son's pet snake - which we had to leave behind) in a drawer. We were not aware it was there. This wasn't checked by customs but I'm sure we would have been in trouble if they had found it!!

Son was happy though as it was a nice reminder of his pet.

Guest bluecob99

Thanks for all this great advice - so take everything manufactured and declare as much as possible to be safe!

Anyone have any thoughts on the unvarnished wooden frames in our canvas wall pictures. They will be checked because we're sending them with excess baggage and they are too big for the boxes, so will be separately wrapped. We don't really want to take them apart unless it's absolutely necessary!