is this a reasonable rent price for sydney???

cacoonkitty

Hi all, my partner and i will be moving to the north sydney region (not central sydney or beaches) around the middle of next year...we both were looking at around the $450 a week for a retal price of a two bedroom flat /appartment and $150 a week for food....is this reasonalbe price for two adults to afford ??..or is this very expensive...??? thanks for any help.....we will hopefully have average paid jobs (me as a manager and him as a laminator).:eek::wacko:

thankyou....yes i saw that rental site..its pretty good..thats where we have been looking to get some sort of idea of prices...so was hoping $450 a week was a reasonable price to pay..and affordable...and was not an extortionate price and i was getting it all wrong....l.o.l... x:eek:

We are in North Sydney and have been here for the last 7 months and we are paying $850 a week which includes bills for a two bed unit. We have looked around in the hope of getting somewhere cheaper and we have not been able to find anything in this area. The cost of a place (2/3 bed unit/house) in Crows Nest, just down the road is around $600 per week. So we would have to say, no as at that price if anything does come up in North Sydney, there will be one hell of a dash for it.

hiya phill and vicky....thanks for replying.....but i was just meaning the rent at that price ..no bills included..i know it would be more if bills were included...so we are looking at around 450-470 for a property rent somwhere in north sydney (per week) and extra for bills. xxx

I dont think you will get anything for that price...sorry (or anything you would want to live in)

Northern Suburbs - from North Sydney itself right up the train line to Hornsby is popular and expensive. Maybe $850pw is a budget to think about

really???,,,:eek: hmmm wow.., i searched that www.domain.au website for propertys for rent in the northern suburbs and beaches an it came up with a few nice looking places for around 450-500 a week rent ??..we dont want to buy..just rent,,,,what other places are nice in sydney then we could think about living in..i dont want to live in a horride troublesome area just a nice place... we want a 2 bedder flat with a nice clean interior and parking..somwhere we could comute to the city by car or bus/train ......any ideas of nice areas..?? i too an am aussi sponcering her other half ..but havent ever lived in australia as an adult as been in the uk fofr 20 odd years..so am un aware of the prices. x:err:

Where are you going to be working? How long are you prepared to spend commuting? Will you get the train, the bus, drive? Perhaps spend more on renting a place near to work and save on commuting costs. There's nothing wrong with living further out - west/south west.

cacoonkitty - sydney is eye wateringly expensive. IMO much more so than London. It really sucks as I thought 'going home' meant going to cheaper living..umm no, that dream popped :biggrin:

You might for around the $550 pw mark on the northern suburbs get a 2 bdrm flat thats reno'd and liveable if you choose a suburb not within walking distance of the train

Lane Cove is a nice place..green and family orientated. Has bus links to the CBD and North Sydney and you could get one of those 1970's 3 storey style block of flats place maybe for the $550 pw mark around there

my brothers call those blocks 'biscuits'. they think those old style flats with their speckled brick look like choc chip biscuits..yeh, crazy :wub: So its that look you will get for that money, but should be reno'd inside

Hi there,

With our cost in North Sydney we just mentioned that to give you an idea of what you could be looking at. Without bills, you could say take $150 of a week, that would still give you an cost of between $600 to $700 for a two bed flat, with off-road parking, in North Sydney. Sorry to say, but that is renting, not buying.

As it has been said before Sydney is so so expensive, it will make you wonder how you are going to make it, but if you are sensible, you will. Honest, look at places a little further up the train line like Crows Nest and past. They are just as nice and only a short train ride into the city.

If you do see places for the price you have mentioned, they will either be places where you would not want to stay or you will be one of 30 plus couples/families wanting it. That way the landlord can pick who they want and if you have not got any renting references from past places, it may not go in your favour.

We don't want to put you off as North Sydney is a nice place. We often walk across the bridge into the city on a Saturday night. But it is a different ball game here, so expensive and it is best you hear not so you are prepared for it, than come not knowing.:biggrin:

Archived