Melbourne Public Transport!??

jodznsez

hi all..

so I moved to sydney 3/4 months ago.. not loving it that much..

Looking at the melbourne option.

the wife wants to live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. We're looking to work in central Melbourne or in eastern suburbs (retail head offices are all there)

can anyone who's also been on sydney public transport, let me know how good/bad the buses/trams/trains are on a day to day basis!?..

clean? dirty? reliable? all the key points.. as we won't have a car for a while.

THanks all

Trams are slower than the train due to the traffic. Trains are ok and it they are usually clean, find them uncomfortable though :laugh:.

Have a look at the metlink site and it gives you the transport routes. Glen Waverley line is a good one to be on.

Further out they have express trains in the peak times so it can take less time from further out than further in if you get what I mean.

I used to live in Caulfield South and no train there so I took the tram and it used to take me over an hour to get to work in the CBD. Whereas I can take a train from Frankston and be in the city in an hour as well.

Good luck.

I think the transport in Sydney is slightly better than Melbourne- at least I found the buses more regular. Also depends where you live of course. If near one of the big transport interchanges like Box Hill it is fine in Melb. Seems ok round most of the Eastern suburbs these days- Ringwod/Croydon/Knox ( no train there though)Glen Waverley is Ok too

They're all great - Ringwood and Croydon are right near the Dandenong Ranges, train to CBD should be about an hour max. Knox isn't far either - although no trains to Knox they do have good bus links to the nearest train stations.

Glen Waverley is near where Neighbours is filmed if you're into that - but I'm not so ...

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, have to ressurect this thread with a further question.

So maybe the trains/buses aren't quite as good as Sydney (am i right in saying that)..

how's the driving? here in Syd its dreadful anytime of day going anywhere!..

How is it driving around the eastern suburbs and would it be ok driving from say,Balwyn (or further east) to work in Port Melbourne? or the CBD?

any advice is great coz this is a HUGE decision for us.

I think it's better than Sydney, but I've only visited Sydney - didn't live there!

The seats on trains aren't brilliantly comfortable, but they're fine and reliable.

If you're heading into the CBD PT is fine from pretty much anywhere - and will be cheaper than paying for parking, port melbourne wouldn't be too much different really.

Cheers and good luck :)

thanks for that...

we'd also like to hear from people that have commuted in both cities..(trains/car whatever) ..

my partner is in discussions for a job in Port melb and via the journey planners and stuff it looks well out of reach of public transport without taking a lifetime to get there (over an hour)..

Thanks

My partner has to communte via tram (or bike) and the trams take ages to take you from A to B. St Kilda to Melbourne Uni is a 45 minutes journey by tram and it's not that far away.

We are used to the public transport in London which might often be crowded but it's also very efficient, but we also read in the immigration guide books that public transport in Australia is different so we were not surprised when we came here.

Also the 96 tram which runs on a different track down to St Kilda and back to the CBD is only 10 minutes faster than the "normal" trams.

Cannot say anything about commuting by car, or commuting in Sydney though I am afraid.

Wishing you the best of luck with your decision!!!

Archived