Spouse Visa

kellbell

Good morning all, just out of interest anyone know why an onshore spouse visa seems to take so much longer than offshore? You would think being in the country would mean its processed quicker, but I have had my receipt of application letter in 2 months and nothing else, telling me it can take up to 9 months to make a decision.

I thought our case would be a bit quicker as OH an Aussie and we have two children, meds and police check handed with application.

Just on reading offshore visas have been granted within a month!

Guest siamsusie

Morning Kellbell,

Maybe some are seconded to deal with the refugees, or other aspects of immigration.

In 2009 on shore visas were being whistled through, today it can be anything upto 12 months.

It makes absolutely no difference whether you are married with 10 kids and an Australian partner.. off shores can take upto 5/6 months.

Maybe they are personnel stretched, who knows lol.

Susie x

Good morning all, just out of interest anyone know why an onshore spouse visa seems to take so much longer than offshore? You would think being in the country would mean its processed quicker, but I have had my receipt of application letter in 2 months and nothing else, telling me it can take up to 9 months to make a decision.

I thought our case would be a bit quicker as OH an Aussie and we have two children, meds and police check handed with application.

Just on reading offshore visas have been granted within a month!

I tend to think it is to do with immigration not wanting to keep families apart. Perhaps they take the view that, as you are with your partner there is no 'real' urgency. I have applied offshore and my partner is in Aus. I think they try to keep the processing time shorter in this case to avoid keeping partners/families apart for extended periods of time. They are after all human... I hope!!

Which stage of the application are you on? 801 permanent spouse? Which office did you give it in to and did you give it in by hand and see an immigration officer?

I will be doing it too soon so I am interested to know

Thanks

Smiler:biggrin:

Hey guys

I dont want to dampen the mood but I think people need to know that realistic time is 12 months waiting. I handed my application front loaded all meds and police checks done into sydney office on 18th Sep 2010 and have heard NOTHING.......

No calls,no case officer,nothing.............

My Immigration agent told me it would be 3 months,then 6,then 9....... Now 12???? Can it get more?? I just think people should no immigration are in no rush to deal with onshore applications...:mad:

Thanks all. Luckily I'm in no real rush, but do kind of feel in limbo until I hear a decision. Would like to get rid of the niggling feeling that they may reject my application!

Smiler- I have applied for a 801 permanent visa at the Brisbane office. I just sent it recorded delivery.

Hey guys

I dont want to dampen the mood but I think people need to know that realistic time is 12 months waiting. I handed my application front loaded all meds and police checks done into sydney office on 18th Sep 2010 and have heard NOTHING.......

No calls,no case officer,nothing.............

My Immigration agent told me it would be 3 months,then 6,then 9....... Now 12???? Can it get more?? I just think people should no immigration are in no rush to deal with onshore applications...:mad:

Wow that is a long wait...they have told me that it could be up to 9 months and I have heard that some offices are quicker than others. Perhaps the Sydney office is particularly busy. Good luck with it all, it'll all be worth it in the end! I hope!! :biggrin:

Guest GeorgeD

The main reason for the longer wait onshore is that the Spouse Visa aims to reunite families. If you are already in Australia with your Australian Spouse then there really is no urgency from this perspective any more.

There are probably less resources handling Spouse Visa applications onshore than there are all around the world in the various consulates, etc, handling offshore applications...mainly for the reason above.

Thanks all. Luckily I'm in no real rush, but do kind of feel in limbo until I hear a decision. Would like to get rid of the niggling feeling that they may reject my application!

Smiler- I have applied for a 801 permanent visa at the Brisbane office. I just sent it recorded delivery.

Hiya Kellbell, we handed my OH 801 application into Brisbane personally on 21 January 2011 - front loaded with meds, police checks etc and have heard nothing. Just gone 7 months now, so don't hold your breathe.

No idea why it takes so long but patience is a virture....or so they say :arghh:

Archived