Update Home for 2wks...

Sunshine111

Mate, try and walk in someone else's shoes on this one. You might think people's reasons for going back to the UK are banal but it's someone's life you're talking about here. I've been happy here for 16 years, but on Saturday nights I still miss a curry and Match of The Day. Sometimes it's the little things which reveal the deeper feelings beneath. If the content of this forum offends you, then it might be better to give it a miss and post on CTF or NGAC where the content is a bit more knockabout.

Not sure what you mean by CTF & NGAC.

Good luck with your curry pangs.

Guest Been there

I've watched poms make the same mistakes here for nearly half a century. Pointless trying to assist, now just watch and wonder.

I'm not judging anyone mate. And I do think some of the reasons people cite for returning to the UK are ridiculous. Some of them shouldn't venture past Benidorm to be frank. I've even gone as far to advise would be Pommy emigrants against reading this website in case they're put off from coming to Australia by some of the comments by "returnees" to good ol' Blighty. Get on with your life son, and lets just agree to disagree.

thanks for those words of 'wisdom'.

I disagree with you alright, now what you need to do is show some respect to other members, rather than winding people up with patronising comments which add nothing to this thread.

Cheers

Not sure what you mean by CTF & NGAC.

CTF - Chewing the Fat

NGAC - News Gossip & Chat

Pomsinoz consists of 37 sub-forums. 36 of them are related to moving to Australia and life in Australia. As per the forum description at the top of the page, this 1 solitary section was created for expats in Australia who are moving back to the UK and for them to be able to discuss the impending move back. I would politely ask the members who aren't moving back to be a little more circumspect with their comments.

MBTUK section is to offer advice and support to those of our members who are returning to the UK. Whatever reasons people have for returning are their own and as such should be treated respectfully, they may or may not fit in with our own views or opinions - that doesn't make them wrong because we don't share them.

I suspect the reasons some people on this site are aggressive towards anything negative being said about OZ is their personal interest at heart. Let's not forget how much money the country makes on immigrants, how much business they generate from anything from visas to removals to hire and retail. All these companies will lose out big time if the rumors about living in OZ spread out and the number of people coming to the country reduce. So what do these people do? They tell us to shut up and keep quiet.

I suspect the reasons some people on this site are aggressive towards anything negative being said about OZ is their personal interest at heart. Let's not forget how much money the country makes on immigrants, how much business they generate from anything from visas to removals to hire and retail. All these companies will lose out big time if the rumors about living in OZ spread out and the number of people coming to the country reduce. So what do these people do? They tell us to shut up and keep quiet.

There's problem many different reasons why negative comments about Oz / people returning to the UK etc evoke strong responses, although in the case of this forum, I'm not sure that it's some sort of corporate conspiracy.

I suspect one scenario is a perceived lack of respect for the visa. If people having been waiting years to get a visa and have there heart set of moving to Australia, if they then read that people are returning to the UK after a short period of time for what may appear on the surface to be superfluous reasons, then this may create some animosity. The person still waiting for a visa may think that the returnee has in effect taken someone's else's place, someone who they perceive who is move deserving of that place etc.

In reality, the animosity is probably misplaced for several reasons. Firstly, the numbers involved in scenarios like this are probably insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Secondly, there's no guarantee that if hypothetically that visa place had gone to someone else, that they would fair any better. Thirdly, on returning to the UK, they may in fact become pingpong poms, return to Australia again and make a go of it, and fourthly and probably most importantly, no one moves to Australia with the intention of retuning in a few weeks.

Human nature also dictates that you're always going to defend your home, wherever you live. If someone reads what they perceive at criticism of their home (be it Country, State, City, Suburb or street) then they're going to defend it. A couple of weeks before we moved to Australia, an Australian knocked on our door selling tickets for something, I asked him if he liked it in the UK and he said he hated it and couldn't wait to get back to Australia. Even though I was leaving the UK to go to OZ, my initial thought was "well *** off back there then" :embarrassed: , it's all too easy to fall into that trap of making an instant judgement and for the situation to elicit an inappropriate response without knowing anything about the person or their circumstances.

I would like to agree with the post regarding 'superficial reasons' hiding a deeper more complex reason for returning. When explaining to most people why we returned to Uk we tell them that our sons didn't settle well and we missed family and friends. However, underlying our decision was the fact that my sister died unexpectedly a week before we emigrated and my eldest son has a cleft lip and palate and was desperatley unhappy as he has another major operation coming up and he found it extremely difficult being away from the consultants he has known his whole life. You have no idea how difficult it is going to be to deal with all these complex emotions until you are in the situation. No amount of forward planning can reveal how hard it is to physically go through the process of emigrating. I loved Oz itself and although I researched the medicare system and what is covered medically - it did not tell you about the emotional impact of moving from a system that you know so well. I missed superficial things about the UK such as certain shops but that would never have been a reason to move a family all the way back to the other side of the world.

As a family at the moment we are happy here in the UK but I miss Oz and my eldest son now has plans to move back to Oz and go to university when he finishes college and has completed his medical treatment. Two years on from my sister passing away - emotions are not so raw and I think in a years time I will be in a better place to try again - maybe.

Archived