WA versus Queensland areas

lynn22

Hiya

Hubby has just made a very useful contact who is in his line of work & lived/worked in Oz for 7 years (altho he's back in uk now) Anyway hubby is going to speak with the guy this afternoon for more info but they have exchanged a few emails & the guy doesnt think my hubby will have any problems with jobs in his line of work in the oil & gas industry (which is good)

However

He's mentioning queensland & all my research has been about WA, although i think the pictures I've seen Queens is beautiful I'm a bit worried about how the weather differs & bugs etc (ie more mozzys & worried about that paralysis ticks for my dog)

Should I have any concerns about which area to go to or keep my sights firmly set on WA (dont know why but its really wa i'm drawn to but maybe thats because I've learned a fair bit about it & getting reasonably familiar with suburb names & can picture where they are on a map etc)

Lynn x

You mention your husband works in the oil and gas industry.

Will he be based in head office in Perth or Brisbane (if Queensland) or out in the field?

Both W.A. and Queensland are huge states and the oil/gas sites are usually very remote from cities.

If it were me I'd need to know exactly where in Queensland or W.A. I'd be living.

Generally Queensland is a more humid heat than W.A. but northern W.A. does have a hot, wet summer.

Guest Guest31881

Ahhh lynn, the two states are like chalk and cheese,

i do not know too much about WA but I have spent the last two years in QLD. so i will just do a list of stuff on QLD

Paralysis tick ...... You need anti tick and flee treatment anywhere in Australia, if animal protected you should have no worries. Not all areas prone to paralysis tick.

Brisbane can be humid and uncomfortable if you are not used to it.

The coast can be a lot better as you get breeze from the pacific and it can make it very pleasant there.

I live inland we do not get humid heat it is dryer out here, can hit 40c during the summer, but can also get frosts in the winter.

Summer can mean more rain but the spring autumn and winter can be great out here.

Further north you come to the tropical areas and the rain forests. Not been that far north so cannot really comment on them.

remember QLD can fit the UK into it about 6 times, so the weather varies greatly from the south east, to the far north, it like asking whats it like living in Europe from one end to the other can vary greatly. If you know the area your husband will be working in you may get a definitive answer.:biggrin:

Guest NeilEB

Hi Lynn,

I'm in the same boat.

Got sponsorship for WA, but struggling to find work. Now have an interview for a role in Brisbane.

Also on the horizon is a possible role in Karratha, WA.

Really wanted Perth, but think I'd prefer Brissie to Karratha (I'm a London boy, used to the city life).

And to be honest, the small bit of research I've done for Brissie it does sound very nice.

Guest ozinpom

I've said it before and I'll say it again, 99% of the jobs on the Seek site are already gone but the advertiser and Seek have not removed them because they are not obliged to. My experiences with applying for jobs via the site is that if the job is any good and it's over one day old, it's gone.

What you see is a mirage of vacancies. I've complained to Seek about it more than once and they say that the advert can stay on the site for a month unless the advertiser asks Seek to remove it.

If you don't believe me try applying for a few.

Guest Guest31881
I've said it before and I'll say it again, 99% of the jobs on the Seek site are already gone but the advertiser and Seek have not removed them because they are not obliged to. My experiences with applying for jobs via the site is that if the job is any good and it's over one day old, it's gone.

What you see is a mirage of vacancies. I've complained to Seek about it more than once and they say that the advert can stay on the site for a month unless the advertiser asks Seek to remove it.

With "seek" I have found its best to apply within 5 days of the advertisement being posted. after 5 days its normally too late, As ozinpom said, they advertise the jobs for a month, even if its been filled.

What my hubby is going to be doing aswell as applying for specific roles is firing his cv into the agencys & we're slowly compiling a list of agencys that deal with his line of work.

Anyway because i've never looked before i'm having a nosey on google maps & trying to familiarise myself with different areas, currently looking at places about an hour drive from brisbane & just now looking at "glass house mountain" area (what a weird name ! ) some ok houses & seem to be set in large plots of land.

Guest Guest31881
What my hubby is going to be doing aswell as applying for specific roles is firing his cv into the agencys & we're slowly compiling a list of agencys that deal with his line of work.

Anyway because i've never looked before i'm having a nosey on google maps & trying to familiarise myself with different areas, currently looking at places about an hour drive from brisbane & just now looking at "glass house mountain" area (what a weird name ! ) some ok houses & seem to be set in large plots of land.

if your looking at Glasshouse mountains you may be better considering the train into Brisbane. (Got name from the shape, they looked like the chimneys of glass works).

Take a look at Bribie island, the commute from there is around 20 min by car to Calboolture and then a 1 hour train to Brisbane, or go by car , a bit closer than glasshouse. Bribie has several different beaches, a large shopping area. go to Caboolture to shop and you will find a very large shopping complex.

We have a couple of members on Bribie and it is a lovely place , I lived there for 12 months,

Thankyou srp, I'm amazed at the size of plots & amount of land that houses in the 500/600K have.. also the amazing greenery.. mmmm maybe i'm being swayed !! LOL

I shall look at those places you mentioned, thankyou very much X

My statement was a general one, that the opportunities for Oil and Gas jobs in Australia may be greater in WA than Brisbane. (I work in the Oil & Gas for an Operator, 'm not completly dense on the subject.)

Many of these jobsites advertising jobs are from agencys, and many times there will be more than 1 agency advertising the same job. And agencys leave the jobs on the site to get more candidates on their books for more upcoming jobs, since they have already paid for the advertisement.

Registering with the agencys directly is best way to get put forward for jobs.

Guest NeilEB

Hi Srp - hope I'm not hijacking too much.

Do you know much about Fig Tree Pocket? It's SE of the centre of Brisbane looking at the maps. Is it commutable to the CBD?

Guest Guest31881

When I lived on Bribie i used to love to go to the beach and get a cup of coffee and a $2 box of chips (french fries) and look out over the Pacific. I would like to return there when i finally retire.

Guest Guest31881
Hi Srp - hope I'm not hijacking too much.

Do you know much about Fig Tree Pocket? It's SE of the centre of Brisbane looking at the maps. Is it commutable to the CBD?

Hi Neil,

I do not know much about that side, try contacting Cal she knows more about that side, send her a PM or through the lifeinqueensland site, Cal and myself are the mods on that site and i did notice you signed up LOL

Guest NeilEB

Hehe - desperate to get info - wife wants to go to Perth, I'm trying to persuade her that the Brissie op is too good to turn down. Even if it's only for a year or two.....

My statement was a general one, that the opportunities for Oil and Gas jobs in Australia may be greater in WA than Brisbane. (I work in the Oil & Gas for an Operator, 'm not completly dense on the subject.)

Many of these jobsites advertising jobs are from agencys, and many times there will be more than 1 agency advertising the same job. And agencys leave the jobs on the site to get more candidates on their books for more upcoming jobs, since they have already paid for the advertisement.

Registering with the agencys directly is best way to get put forward for jobs.

Sounds similar to the way it is here, the agencys contact guys already on their books first.. which is why its so much better here as a lot of them already know you or someone who can put in a good word which is prob what we're up against just now.

Guest NeilEB
Sounds similar to the way it is here, the agencys contact guys already on their books first.. which is why its so much better here as a lot of them already know you or someone who can put in a good word which is prob what we're up against just now.

Which is what I used Seek for - not necessarily the actual jobs, but finding contacts at agencies that dealt with my area.

I wouldn't rule out speaking or registering with some of the more specilised Oil & Gas agencys that are in Aberdeen, that deal with more consultantcy types of jobs, there recruitment and jobs are mostly international.

I know of one that deal with the supply of high calibre professionals in drilling & well engineering.

Thanks any contacts would be great, I only just saw your in/from Abz. Which companies did you work for if you dont mind me being nosey. I've found its quite incestious lol & lots of folk know or have worked with each other. Michael is currently contracting for Mearsk, previously his last stint was at shell.

Anyway he's just had a flippin brilliant conversation with this guy he's been put in touch with who worked in project engineering side of things for 7 years in oz & he's been a wealth of info of what type of deal / salary/benefits etc M should expect, the best way for him to go etc & things are looking a hell of a lot more positive.

My OH is the main applicant he works as Engineer. Its great that you have a good contact, hopefully get something good from it. People in Australia alway feel that they want to help anyone get out there.

We were out in Oz last year, we met a couple when we were in Broome, they were originally from UK (1 of them a scot), but been over there for 20 years. The guy worked in Oil & gas had his own company and worked with the company that my OH works for here in Abdn. He gave him his business card - " if you want a job, I can sponsor so many people each year - call me, or pass around friends at work". My OH was so surprise, as that would hardly ever happen here, well not after just meeting for 10 mins.

When I was working in NT I met an old couple originally from "the broch" they had come out as 10 pound poms in the 50's, they now lived in Adelaide. She still had her doric accent! LOL After speaking to them for a short while I had there address and phone number - "if your ever in Adelaide, there is always a spare bed at ours, just give us a call." Never in a million years happen here.

Your right that sort of thing rarely would ever happen here, if ever in fact. Omg still having a brochers accent after 20 years lol... some people might say they'd have been better losing that one haha. ( says me fae turra lol)

l

My OH is the main applicant he works as Engineer. Its great that you have a good contact, hopefully get something good from it. People in Australia alway feel that they want to help anyone get out there.

We were out in Oz last year, we met a couple when we were in Broome, they were originally from UK (1 of them a scot), but been over there for 20 years. The guy worked in Oil & gas had his own company and worked with the company that my OH works for here in Abdn. He gave him his business card - " if you want a job, I can sponsor so many people each year - call me, or pass around friends at work". My OH was so surprise, as that would hardly ever happen here, well not after just meeting for 10 mins.

When I was working in NT I met an old couple originally from "the broch" they had come out as 10 pound poms in the 50's, they now lived in Adelaide. She still had her doric accent! LOL After speaking to them for a short while I had there address and phone number - "if your ever in Adelaide, there is always a spare bed at ours, just give us a call." Never in a million years happen here.

Hiya

Hubby has just made a very useful contact who is in his line of work & lived/worked in Oz for 7 years (altho he's back in uk now) Anyway hubby is going to speak with the guy this afternoon for more info but they have exchanged a few emails & the guy doesnt think my hubby will have any problems with jobs in his line of work in the oil & gas industry (which is good)

However

He's mentioning queensland & all my research has been about WA, although i think the pictures I've seen Queens is beautiful I'm a bit worried about how the weather differs & bugs etc (ie more mozzys & worried about that paralysis ticks for my dog)

Should I have any concerns about which area to go to or keep my sights firmly set on WA (dont know why but its really wa i'm drawn to but maybe thats because I've learned a fair bit about it & getting reasonably familiar with suburb names & can picture where they are on a map etc)

Lynn x

Qld vs WA... A very pleasant dilemma, Lynn.:yes:

Both states are magnificent. WA is drier and apart from the Perth/Fremantle area, is fairly devoid of cities (small towns, really), whereas Qld has medium sized cities along the coast, as far north as Cairns. Most of the Qld cities can be classed as tropical to sub tropical.

A few of the Qld gas projects are getting a bit of agro from the farming communities due to traces of benzene (I think), being in some test holes and the locals think it could lead to cancer in the water supplies.

As for lifestyles, both are up there regards leisure time, which is as you know, one third of your day-to-day living.

A few dogs have been affected by ticks in Qld...Lived 12 years in a tick area and never been without a dog and no problems for my mutts. Just a matter of washing them and giving them a daily inspection, especially between the claws and the neck area.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers Bob, certainly given me food for thought. I guess I wont know what either is like till I'm there so if I research both areas here then I should be fine. I've just been showing hubby some properties & pics of Qld & some of it is stunningly beautiful.

named by Captain James Cook. :cute:

Cheers Bob, certainly given me food for thought. I guess I wont know what either is like till I'm there so if I research both areas here then I should be fine. I've just been showing hubby some properties & pics of Qld & some of it is stunningly beautiful.

Goodoh, mate;

Errr...ALL of it is stunningly beautiful. Australia, that is:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived