Police checks

tony_bezza

Hi there peeps,

I am familiar with the police checks and the ACPO website. I know that once I am requested to do so that I will need to get my medicals and police checks. The problem I have is that I have heard if you were in Aus for a years working holiday, which I was, then you will need a police check from there too. I was wondering if there was any truth to this and if there is how do I go about getting my Aussie police checks? If this is the case how long will it take to obtain as I am in the UK.

Regards Tony

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

You need a police check from any country where you have lived there for 12 months or longer. I am sure we have other members who have gone through this and will be able to give more information.

Actually the rule is any period or periods totalling 12 months in the preceeding 10 years. That means if the only time you were in Oz was for 11 1/2 months on a WHV then you don't need an australian police check, but if you were also there for a 3 week holiday (at any time in the last 10 years) then you do need an australian police check as you will have reached the 12 month threshold.

Incidentally if your CO decides on checking your travel history that he needs a particular police check he will ask for it. The standard is to ask for it within 28 days but they are aware that it can take longer to obtain (particularly if you are no longer in the relevant country) so as long a you provide some evidence that the police check has been applied for within the 28 days you'll always get an extension.

Hi there peeps,

I am familiar with the police checks and the ACPO website. I know that once I am requested to do so that I will need to get my medicals and police checks. The problem I have is that I have heard if you were in Aus for a years working holiday, which I was, then you will need a police check from there too. I was wondering if there was any truth to this and if there is how do I go about getting my Aussie police checks? If this is the case how long will it take to obtain as I am in the UK.

Regards Tony

Hi Tony

I was in Australia too on a work holiday visa. I had to get a police clearance cert from there. If you go to http://www.afp.gov.au and click on police clearances on the right hand side. You can get the forms there but I think you should wait until your case officer tells you to get it because it is only valid for about a month. The biggest problem is paying for it, they don't accept card, you need to send a money order that the AFP can cash over there. I ended up sending the form to my cousin in Perth, who bought a postal order for me and then sent it onto them. It takes up to 15 days to process, mine came ack really quickly but my husbands is still being processed and its the only thing we're waiting on, head is wrecked!!

I cant see how my police checks from australia in 2006 to 2007 can only be valid for a month cause nothing is going to change cause its in the past. Are you sure this is the case. I understand present checks being valid for only a month but a police check from 2006 shouldnt have a validation cause its not gonna change is it .

yeah I am really not sure. Do you see my point that I am looking to get a police check from a time period in the past. Surely this would not have any valadation cause its something that has passed. if it was to present then of course. For example if I applied for my visa and then got asked for my police checks and showed them one from last year for the current day then this would be wrong. I could have commited a crime within that time period but for the police check i need from Aus that was in 2005 Jan to jan 2006 the information cannot change.

yeah I am really not sure. Do you see my point that I am looking to get a police check from a time period in the past. Surely this would not have any valadation cause its something that has passed. if it was to present then of course. For example if I applied for my visa and then got asked for my police checks and showed them one from last year for the current day then this would be wrong. I could have commited a crime within that time period but for the police check i need from Aus that was in 2005 Jan to jan 2006 the information cannot change. Such a head f~*k.

No, technically the information could change - if say the AFP found out about something you did in 2005 but weren't aware of at the time the certificate was issued. Hardly a normal occurence but that's why DIAC has rules that say the police check must be under 12 months old.

• 5 months later...

Although this is quite an old thread somebody in the same position as me might chance upon this.

I am currently applying for Citizenship by Descent and on my form 118 i noted i had visited Australia on holiday for 4 weeks. My C.O. has just emailed to say i need a AFP national police check for those 4 weeks i spent on holiday. And the previous posters are correct, its a right bugger to pay for. I have asked my uncle to pay, bless him .

I had read on the form about 12 months but her email stated "any amount of days" spent in Australia requires an AFP NCP form CR501. Once again so close yet so far.